my stats at a glance(feedback appreciated)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

felipe23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
gpa-3.5
science-3.4
we will stick with those numbers, but if i get all A's this semester it changes to 3.6 and 3.5
MCAT-33N- 13 bio 12 physics 8 verbal
Illinois resident

Volunteered at a clinic freshman year(15 hours)
shadowed four doctors
Volunteering at nursing home since December 08
Volunteering at hospital since february 09
Researching since freshman year at slu medical school and we just switched to washington university barnes jewish(will have a paper in by may as first author)
A couple events with habitat for humanity
-I also volunteered a bit at my dads office but I don't know if that counts...??

i know my ec stinks compared to all you guys but very little i can do now

What do you think?
- Not shooting too high at all- I just want to go SOMEWHERE
- Also applying ccom and michigan state osteopathic schools

Members don't see this ad.

gpa-3.5
science-3.4
we will stick with those numbers, but if i get all A's this semester it changes to 3.6 and 3.5
MCAT-33N- 13 bio 12 physics 8 verbal
Illinois resident

Volunteered at a clinic freshman year(15 hours)
shadowed four doctors
Volunteering at nursing home since December 08
Volunteering at hospital since february 09
Researching since freshman year at slu medical school and we just switched to washington university barnes jewish(will have a paper in by may as first author)
A couple events with habitat for humanity
-I also volunteered a bit at my dads office but I don't know if that counts...??

i know my ec stinks compared to all you guys but very little i can do now

What do you think?
- Not shooting too high at all- I just want to go SOMEWHERE
- Also applying ccom and michigan state osteopathic schools

I would say apply osteopathic. However, some MD schools, like Howard and a couple others will take you. Do some research (MSAR, etc)

I disagree. A 3.5 is not a bad GPA. Sure, it's lower than some people. But there are plenty of people who get into MD schools with a 3.5. Besides the 33 is good. I'd say you should apply broadly and to some DO schools if you want. But your shot at MD schools is not bad. Just apply early and research the schools' average numbers while picking where to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that your numbers aren't bad, though a verbal of 8 might hurt you at some places. If you don't get into an allo school, it will be because of your last minute clinical experience. Unfortunately, osteo schools expect a reasonable amount of clinical experience too. To have a shot, continue your clinical experiences through the application year, sending updates to schools about your continued activities and hours accumulated. If you don't get in this next cycle, you'll have planty of experience to report the following year when you reapply.

As far as including a volunteer position at your dad's office: I suppose you could do it if you use the office manager as the volunteer coordinator and try to leave a relative with the same last name out of the listing.

How did you happen to belatedly decide to go into medicine?

thanks for the posts guys...

I never said I belatedly decided to go into medicine. I did bad my freshman year first semester and spent hours and hours in the library studying and when I wasn't studying I was doing research with whatever time I had left. Finally when junior year came around I started to have time for more activities. I also started big bros and sisters at the beginning of junior year. I mean I have always been around a doctor since my dad is one, and I have shadowed him numerous times though I won't put that on my resume.

Anyway I just wanted to hear what you guys thought. Keep the posts coming!

What counts with the application process is what you can put on your Primary application. And the Primary application needs to reflect your exploration of the medical profession over a period of time, usually 1.5-2.0 years, so adcomms won't think it's an impulsive, not-well-thought-out decision. I agree you should not list clinical experience acquired with a parent in the "Activities" section, but you can work it into your Primary essay, assuming it had something to do with why you decided to pursue medicine. There is another portion of the Primary where you list your parental occupations, and I've read that some adcomms do give you points for what you theoretically learned during discussions at the dinner table if a parent is a doctor.