My Step 3 experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Da_1_2_N_V

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took step 3.

1st day was a train wreck.

Day 2 was ok except for CCS. About 5 out of 13 cases ended early. The rest kept going. A lot of times when I advanced the clock, a message would appear saying patient wants to go home if I advance. I advanced anyways and the patient automatically came back at a later date. I also messed a lot of cases up as in not knowing the diagnosis. Also for simple cases like anaphylaxis, it would not end early even though I placed steroids, epinephrine, and oxygen. It would keep going and it said the patient was better but it wouldn't end, leading me to believe that I was missing something.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel you man. Just took it today.

First day wasn't too bad for me. Just exhausting and long. WAY WAY more biostats than I could have ever predicted. I felt like every 3rd question was a study vignette.

Day 2 started out okay, but man some of the MCQ's were pretty tough. Just ridiculous stuff that would describe some trainwreck of a patient with 5 super unrealistic risk factors, then ask "which of these is the sign of a worse prognosis". I was just staring at them like F&*k you, all of them are.

After I got through that, The CCS cases began. My first case was an obvious compartment syndrome; and I knew what to do...but there were no orders available for the correct procedure/study. I consulted surgery and they were worthless...then I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to order the right tests while the guy is hurting, and finally time expired. The other cases were pretty straight forward; i'm sure I missed some things...but all of them ended early with the patient "feeling better". I had some 20 minute cases end in 4 minutes when my workup was halfway done, and I frantically was trying to order everything else. And one case ended early when I felt like I had given appropriate (but not complete) treatment. He said he felt better and the case ended to my surprise. The bad part, was that when the cases ended early and I was frantically trying to order everything else like counseling, the time would expire and it would NEVER give me the opportunity to type in my #1 diagnosis. The only time it gave me that chance was when I manually clicked "end case". Not sure if i'm gonna get knocked for that or what.

Overall I'm glad it's over...I feel like I did ok on the MCQ's, and overall I don't feel horrible about CCS....but the more I think about it the worse I feel.

Ah well, time to shoot back a glass of whiskey and prepare for a 24 hour call shift!

Reactions: 2 users

First day wasn't too bad for me. Just exhausting and long. WAY WAY more biostats than I could have ever predicted. I felt like every 3rd question was a study vignette.

Day 2 started out okay, but man some of the MCQ's were pretty tough. Just ridiculous stuff that would describe some trainwreck of a patient with 5 super unrealistic risk factors, then ask "which of these is the sign of a worse prognosis". I was just staring at them like F&*k you, all of them are.

After I got through that, The CCS cases began. My first case was an obvious compartment syndrome; and I knew what to do...but there were no orders available for the correct procedure/study. I consulted surgery and they were worthless...then I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to order the right tests while the guy is hurting, and finally time expired. The other cases were pretty straight forward; i'm sure I missed some things...but all of them ended early with the patient "feeling better". I had some 20 minute cases end in 4 minutes when my workup was halfway done, and I frantically was trying to order everything else. And one case ended early when I felt like I had given appropriate (but not complete) treatment. He said he felt better and the case ended to my surprise. The bad part, was that when the cases ended early and I was frantically trying to order everything else like counseling, the time would expire and it would NEVER give me the opportunity to type in my #1 diagnosis. The only time it gave me that chance was when I manually clicked "end case". Not sure if i'm gonna get knocked for that or what.

Overall I'm glad it's over...I feel like I did ok on the MCQ's, and overall I don't feel horrible about CCS....but the more I think about it the worse I feel.

Ah well, time to shoot back a glass of whiskey and prepare for a 24 hour call shift!

If it makes you feel any better, the diagnosis in CCS isn't graded so I doubt you'll be knocked for not entering it.

Just took it yesterday and today. All MCQs are tough. A lot of times I had to guess. Had some WTF step 1 style qs
For CCS I’m sure I screwed up one case completely(I likely misdiagnosed her). Another one wasn’t sure about my Dx, but just continued my treatment for the most likely dx. Some cases didn’t end early, so I just don’t know-.....
Then of course, missed some things here and there.....
I just hope to pass right now....
Stats:
Step 1: 229
Step 2 CK: 243
UW average 62%
UWSA 196(4 wks out. Not sure why I got so low while I scored around average in all blocks)
Free 137 76% (8-9 days out)
FMG without residency

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to follow up on my previous post:

Score came back today at midnight: 238

Pleasantly surprised :)

Just took it yesterday and today. All MCQs are tough. A lot of times I had to guess. Had some WTF step 1 style qs
For CCS I’m sure I screwed up one case completely(I likely misdiagnosed her). Another one wasn’t sure about my Dx, but just continued my treatment for the most likely dx. Some cases didn’t end early, so I just don’t know-.....
Then of course, missed some things here and there.....
I just hope to pass right now....
Stats:
Step 1: 229
Step 2 CK: 243
UW average 62%
UWSA 196(4 wks out. Not sure why I got so low while I scored around average in all blocks)
Free 137 76% (8-9 days out)
FMG without residency
Update: scored 218. Done with USMLE for good

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a US-IMG in my 2nd year of IM residency. Was stressed out preparing for Step 3 bc I dragged it on till 2nd year of residency (I do not advise this!) and several 2nd years had gotten a lot of pressure from our PD to get it done. Any how here are my stats:
Step 1: 221
Step 2: 229
Step 2 CS: first pass
Prep time for USMLE Step 3: In between elective rotations, 2-3 hrs/day, roughly 4-6 weeks total time, I used my first week of vacation to take it, so had a solid week of study time just before the exam 6-8hrs/day for biostats/CCS cases. I avg around 61% overall on Uworld, random, tutor mode, and used a biostats pdf (got through 25% of it), didn't use MTB didn't have enough time.
NBME 4 for Step 3: 370 (2 weeks prior)
UWSA Step 3: 201 (1 week prior to real exam)
After my practice exams I was extremely nervous that I wouldn't pull through, was even considering postponing my exam, but then I said screw it and gave it a shot!
Actual Step 3: 221 :soexcited:, so glad to be done with USMLE! Don't let the practice UWSA and NBME fool you! Best of luck to all preparing for this treacherous exam and those waiting for results. Exam is very doable, first when I got my score I'd thought CCS pulled me through however it was my lowest scored section. 2nd day MCQ helped me the most. Good luck and God bless!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a US-IMG in my 2nd year of IM residency. Was stressed out preparing for Step 3 bc I dragged it on till 2nd year of residency (I do not advise this!) and several 2nd years had gotten a lot of pressure from our PD to get it done. Any how here are my stats:
Step 1: 221
Step 2: 229
Step 2 CS: first pass
Prep time for USMLE Step 3: In between elective rotations, 2-3 hrs/day, roughly 4-6 weeks total time, I used my first week of vacation to take it, so had a solid week of study time just before the exam 6-8hrs/day for biostats/CCS cases. I avg around 61% overall on Uworld, random, tutor mode, and used a biostats pdf (got through 25% of it), didn't use MTB didn't have enough time.
NBME 4 for Step 3: 370 (2 weeks prior)
UWSA Step 3: 201 (1 week prior to real exam)
After my practice exams I was extremely nervous that I wouldn't pull through, was even considering postponing my exam, but then I said screw it and gave it a shot!
Actual Step 3: 221 :soexcited:, so glad to be done with USMLE! Don't let the practice UWSA and NBME fool you! Best of luck to all preparing for this treacherous exam and those waiting for results. Exam is very doable, first when I got my score I'd thought CCS pulled me through however it was my lowest scored section. 2nd day MCQ helped me the most. Good luck and God bless!

Hey JoePro,

Can you please share how your exam actual exam went. I have very similar scores as you and I am also a PGY-2 IM residency that took the test about a week ago. I am just super nervous because i ran out of time on all of the MCQ blocks on both days and also made the usual dumb mistakes. Just wondering if I'm gonna have any chance of passing. I need to start studying again if i have no hope. I pretty much had to randomly click answers for the last 5 questions on all blocks for both days.

Thanks for your help

Hey JoePro,

Can you please share how your exam actual exam went. I have very similar scores as you and I am also a PGY-2 IM residency that took the test about a week ago. I am just super nervous because i ran out of time on all of the MCQ blocks on both days and also made the usual dumb mistakes. Just wondering if I'm gonna have any chance of passing. I need to start studying again if i have no hope. I pretty much had to randomly click answers for the last 5 questions on all blocks for both days.

Thanks for your help
did you guys pass?

Just to follow up on my previous post:

Score came back today at midnight: 238

Pleasantly surprised :)

Just read your exam experience. Great score. How did you end up doing on the CCS portion of the exam? All the way to the right?

Hey! Congratulations on great score! Can you share how you studied and how much time it took for preparation. Also what material did you use? Thank you.

Guys, how long did you prepare for? How many hrs/day? I'm trying to gauge a time commitment necessary for passing this exam..