My Story- Low Stats/accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was recently accepted to a DPT program (after 2nd time applying) and I want to share my story regarding my application process and how I got in with low stats. I'll say this right now, if I got in, then ANYONE can.

I decided to pursue Physical Therapy the summer before my third year in undergrad. Because I wanted to graduate on time, I had to take over 20-22 credits a semester (I transferred from CC and only 3-4 GE classes were approved as transfer credits- I didn't put much effort in CC). Therefore, my grades suffered because of the over load of classes.

I graduated from college in 5 years. During undergrad after I transferred, I took general physics 1 in the summer (BAD IDEA). I got a D grade. Then I took it again the following Fall semester and got a D AGAIN. I finally passed the next semester, but with a C grade. I GOT D GRADES TWICE IN A ROW AND ENDED UP WITH A C. After this happened, I became depressed. I knew I would not get into PT school in the first cycle and I knew I had to make some drastic improvements. But I decided to apply to programs anyway and in the meantime retake some classes. Many PTCAS programs do not allow more than one retake etc. and therefore, my whole application process was limited.
-- BTW I took the GRE 4 times.
-- my hours: 2,000 outpatient, 80 inpatient, 20 snf

STATS for First cycle (I applied to 2 non ptcas, and 6 PTCAS schools)
Anatomy: A
Advanced Human Physio: B
Exercise Physio lab: A
Chem 1: C, retake and got a C again
Chem 2: B
Physics 1: D, D, C
Physics 2: C
Bio 1: B
Bio 2: B
Psych: A
Pysch: A
PTCAS science/math: 2.1
PTCAS cumulative: 2.75
GRE score I used: V 144, Q 148, 3.5

PTCAS made my grades look even more horrible since they average the retakes. I got rejections from all schools immediately.

Second time applying:
  • This time I took a kaplan GRE online prep course and this helped tremendously. I don't know why I didn't do this the first time so dumb of me. I also decided to apply to only NON-PTCAS programs because there was no way I was going to take 1-2 years extra to bring up my cgpa to a 3.0 (I would have to take 14 courses and receive all As to bring my gpa from 2.75 to a 3.0 and even that may not have been enough) .
  • The non ptcas programs (2) I applied to did not have a limit to retaken courses and they looked at the last 45-60 credits and not the cumulative gpa.
  • I also made sure to keep close contact with my advisors from those schools. I followed their recommendations on how to improve my application for the 2nd time and I succeeded. I think this helped a lot because it showed them that I am willing to do anything to go to their school.
STATS FOR 2nd TIME:
- Retook physics again but got a C AGAIN
- I took a different Biology course and got an A. So at least in my biology series I had one A and one B instead of two Bs.
- GRE: improved my score from a 291-303
- I got an interview for one of the schools (rejected at the other) and got in.

IN SUM,

For those who have low Stats and think they have no chance, WELL YOU DO HAVE A CHANCE (S) and there are ways to get in without having to take a bunch of classes to bring up that GPA to a 3.0 +.
You will have to sacrifice a little (retake classes, take prep course etc.) and be open minded regarding which program/location. Apply to NON-PTCAS programs because most of those schools look at the applicant as a whole if that makes sense. Go to the school, take a tour, ask your advisors A LOT of questions- makes sure they know who you are. And then when you get the interview PREPARE well for it. There is no easy way out and ALLL programs are hard to get into because each school has its own way of accepting and personality

Usually applicants get in the second time around. As long as you TRUELY feel that you have done enough or feel satisfied with your improvements for the second or first time applying, then you will get in. Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users
Hello everyone! I was recently accepted to a DPT program (after 2nd time applying) and I want to share my story regarding my application process and how I got in with low stats. I'll say this right now, if I got in, then ANYONE can.

I decided to pursue Physical Therapy the summer before my third year in undergrad. Because I wanted to graduate on time, I had to take over 20-22 credits a semester (I transferred from CC and only 3-4 GE classes were approved as transfer credits- I didn't put much effort in CC). Therefore, my grades suffered because of the over load of classes.

I graduated from college in 5 years. During undergrad after I transferred, I took general physics 1 in the summer (BAD IDEA). I got a D grade. Then I took it again the following Fall semester and got a D AGAIN. I finally passed the next semester, but with a C grade. I GOT D GRADES TWICE IN A ROW AND ENDED UP WITH A C. After this happened, I became depressed. I knew I would not get into PT school in the first cycle and I knew I had to make some drastic improvements. But I decided to apply to programs anyway and in the meantime retake some classes. Many PTCAS programs do not allow more than one retake etc. and therefore, my whole application process was limited.

PTCAS made my grades look even more horrible since they average the retakes. I got rejections from all schools immediately.

Second time applying:
  • This time I took a kaplan GRE online prep course and this helped tremendously. I don't know why I didn't do this the first time so dumb of me. I also decided to apply to only NON-PTCAS programs because there was no way I was going to take 1-2 years extra to bring up my cgpa to a 3.0 (I would have to take 14 courses and receive all As to bring my gpa from 2.75 to a 3.0 and even that may not have been enough) .
  • The non ptcas programs (2) I applied to did not have a limit to retaken courses and they looked at the last 45-60 credits and not the cumulative gpa.
  • I also made sure to keep close contact with my advisors from those schools. I followed their recommendations on how to improve my application for the 2nd time and I succeeded. I think this helped a lot because it showed them that I am willing to do anything to go to their school.
STATS FOR 2nd TIME:
- I took a different Biology course and got an A. So at least in my biology series I had one A and one B instead of two Bs.

IN SUM,

For those who have low Stats and think they have no chance, WELL YOU DO HAVE A CHANCE (S) and there are ways to get in without having to take a bunch of classes to bring up that GPA to a 3.0 +.
You will have to sacrifice a little (retake classes, take prep course etc.) and be open minded regarding which program/location. Apply to NON-PTCAS programs because most of those schools look at the applicant as a whole if that makes sense. Go to the school, take a tour, ask your advisors A LOT of questions- makes sure they know who you are. And then when you get the interview PREPARE well for it. There is no easy way out and ALLL programs are hard to get into because each school has its own way of accepting and personality

Usually applicants get in the second time around. As long as you TRUELY feel that you have done enough or feel satisfied with your improvements for the second or first time applying, then you will get in. Good luck

This makes me happy. Congratulations

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for sharing - I know many will use your story as inspiration. Congrats on the acceptance!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so wonderful, and truly shows how motivation and dedication can pay off! So happy for you!!!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on your acceptance!! You really are an inspiration. May I ask how do you find out if the schools are non PtCAS and also how many observation hours did you gather in total and from how many settings?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats! Taking my GRE for the first time on the 26th and I have a bad feeling :( Magoosh practice test scored V 145 Q 153
besides that my GPA(s) is fine.

Let us know how you do the first year of PT school. You must keep up the traction.

Here is also an alternative view. Yes, it is possible, but it’s also very rare and requires one to have above average resources. Debt will be a serious issue for most applicants, more so for those beginning applications with very low GPAs. There are many careers out there that will make applicants just as satisfied and provide a happier lifestyle.

Let us know how you do the first year of PT school. You must keep up the traction.

Here is also an alternative view. Yes, it is possible, but it’s also very rare and requires one to have above average resources. Debt will be a serious issue for most applicants, more so for those beginning applications with very low GPAs. There are many careers out there that will make applicants just as satisfied and provide a happier lifestyle.

Completely agree. With those stats you can get accepted but it will likely be to an extremely expensive school.

Congrats on your acceptance!! You really are an inspiration. May I ask how do you find out if the schools are non PtCAS and also how many observation hours did you gather in total and from how many settings?

Sent from my iPhone
Hello thank you and I wish you the best. anything is possible! If you go on the PTCAS website there is a list of all non participating PTCAS programs. My hours: 3 settings. Outpatient= 2,000, SNF= 20, Hospital= 80.

Its only rare because a lot of people don't want to put in the effort or they give up easily and move on. And what do you mean above average resources? I didn't have any other resources besides my improvements in my grades and GRE score and lastly my commitment of getting into a program. For example, I know people who received recommendation letters from alumni from the same program and still didn't get in and then others who did get in.

A lot of schools are increasing their tuition and every school is expensive (unless you have scholarships etc.). Grad school is expensive period. but thats just how it is whether you are a straight A applicant or low stats- majority of students will be and are in debt. There are high ranked programs that are also very very expensive. That is the choice and commitment the student has made before going into this field. It is worth it if PT is the career choice and the career that will make one happy. With debt there are ways to pay it off and yes, it will be annoying to pay it off but Id rather do that then choose a different career that wasn't my number one choice. At least I will have an income and a good one too. Anyway thats a whole other topic.

So far PT school is awesome and I love every minute of it.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Taking my GRE for the first time on the 26th and I have a bad feeling :( Magoosh practice test scored V 145 Q 153
besides that my GPA(s) is fine.

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply. I hope your test went well! Because you said your gpa is fine, I wouldn't worry toooo much about the GRE unless the programs you are applying to have minimum requirements

Its only rare because a lot of people don't want to put in the effort or they give up easily and move on. And what do you mean above average resources? I didn't have any other resources besides my improvements in my grades and GRE score and lastly my commitment of getting into a program. For example, I know people who received recommendation letters from alumni from the same program and still didn't get in and then others who did get in.

A lot of schools are increasing their tuition and every school is expensive (unless you have scholarships etc.). Grad school is expensive period. but thats just how it is whether you are a straight A applicant or low stats- majority of students will be and are in debt. There are high ranked programs that are also very very expensive. That is the choice and commitment the student has made before going into this field. It is worth it if PT is the career choice and the career that will make one happy. With debt there are ways to pay it off and yes, it will be annoying to pay it off but Id rather do that then choose a different career that wasn't my number one choice. At least I will have an income and a good one too. Anyway thats a whole other topic.

So far PT school is awesome and I love every minute of it.

I think his point is that if you want to get in with very low stats then you're probably going to end up going to a school with very high tuition(private schools). It varies state by state as well though. Like in Texas the average total tuition for public schools is about $35k vs the private school tuition in Texas is $100k+. That's a $70k plus debt difference which is a huge thing to consider.

Second time applying:
STATS FOR 2nd TIME:

IN SUM,

Hi, Where did you get interview and acceptance. Very inspiring.