Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Salty

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning on applying to DPT school summer of 2024. I am hoping to have about 400-500 PT hours, 3.7cGPA and 3.5pGPA (depending on school). Taking the GRE in 2 weeks. I also plan to do more volunteering. Please let me know what my chances are.

Members don't see this ad.

I think as far as GPA and observation hours go, you're in a solid place. Just make sure that you have some variety in where you observe (multiple clinics, specialties, etc.) and really highlight any volunteering or leadership opportunities that you've been a part of- I feel like a lot of programs want to see some variety and involvement in areas outside of PT.

I can't say for certain you'll get into every school you apply to, just given the fact that each program looks for different things in their applicants! Some schools place the most emphasis on GPA/GRE, whereas others look more at essays and leadership. To give you some perspective, I got waitlisted/denied from programs that I was certain I'd get accepted to, and I got accepted to programs that I didn't think I had much of a chance with. Your GPA and hours look good- but remember that essays, letters of recommendation, and leadership/volunteering also carry a ton of weight so be sure to focus on those when the time comes for you to apply. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I think as far as GPA and observation hours go, you're in a solid place. Just make sure that you have some variety in where you observe (multiple clinics, specialties, etc.) and really highlight any volunteering or leadership opportunities that you've been a part of- I feel like a lot of programs want to see some variety and involvement in areas outside of PT.

I can't say for certain you'll get into every school you apply to, just given the fact that each program looks for different things in their applicants! Some schools place the most emphasis on GPA/GRE, whereas others look more at essays and leadership. To give you some perspective, I got waitlisted/denied from programs that I was certain I'd get accepted to, and I got accepted to programs that I didn't think I had much of a chance with. Your GPA and hours look good- but remember that essays, letters of recommendation, and leadership/volunteering also carry a ton of weight so be sure to focus on those when the time comes for you to apply. Good luck!
1000% this. Never in my life did I anticipate getting waitlisted at UNC and rejected from schools that have a lower average accepted GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much! Where are you attending? Best of luck to you!

1000% this. Never in my life did I anticipate getting waitlisted at UNC and rejected from schools that have a lower average accepted GPA.
Thank you so much! Where are you studying now?

Thank you so much! Where are you attending? Best of luck to you!
Thank you! I'm actually still in the application process right now- I have two acceptances so far but still waiting to hear back from KU and Baylor. I got into Tufts so I'll probably put down a deposit with them in the meantime just to secure a spot somewhere!

Thank you! I'm actually still in the application process right now- I have two acceptances so far but still waiting to hear back from KU and Baylor. I got into Tufts so I'll probably put down a deposit with them in the meantime just to secure a spot somewhere!
Congrats! So exciting! Did you apply right after you graduated with your 4 year degree or did you take a year or more to work, volunteer, etc?

Congrats! So exciting! Did you apply right after you graduated with your 4 year degree or did you take a year or more to work, volunteer, etc?
I'm finishing my degree in exercise science this May and will be matriculating in a program soon after!

During my time in undergrad I really had to grind since I wasn't able to get any observation for a year and half due to COVID. Last year (junior yr) was super busy trying to make up for lost time, but I was able to work as a tech, volunteer, participate in extracurriculars, and study for the GRE all while taking 17 credit hours. In hindsight considering how much COVID has impacted my time in undergrad, it would've probably been better for my sanity to take a gap year... but thankfully by the end of junior year I had a strong resume going and felt as if I would be a competitive applicant without needing to take a gap year! Shoot me a message if you have any questions about the application process- I was in your position this time last year so I'm more than happy to help :)

I'm finishing my degree in exercise science this May and will be matriculating in a program soon after!

During my time in undergrad I really had to grind since I wasn't able to get any observation for a year and half due to COVID. Last year (junior yr) was super busy trying to make up for lost time, but I was able to work as a tech, volunteer, participate in extracurriculars, and study for the GRE all while taking 17 credit hours. In hindsight considering how much COVID has impacted my time in undergrad, it would've probably been better for my sanity to take a gap year... but thankfully by the end of junior year I had a strong resume going and felt as if I would be a competitive applicant without needing to take a gap year! Shoot me a message if you have any questions about the application process- I was in your position this time last year so I'm more than happy to help :)
Wow! Very impressive! I'm studying abroad this semester (leave in 2 weeks) so I really didn't think I could apply to DPT schools without taking a gap year. Especially since I need to take exercise physiology this summer because I won't be taking any of my exercise science courses while abroad. I need this course before I start my senior year, so half my summer will be taken up with this class. Plus I will have 300+ volunteer hours my last semester through my program, but I wouldn't be able to include them on my application if I applied this summer to DPT schools. Did you take any practice GRE tests before taking the official exam? I received a 156 on both sections on the online practice exam. Wondering how close to the real test it is? Really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!!

Wow! Very impressive! I'm studying abroad this semester (leave in 2 weeks) so I really didn't think I could apply to DPT schools without taking a gap year. Especially since I need to take exercise physiology this summer because I won't be taking any of my exercise science courses while abroad. I need this course before I start my senior year, so half my summer will be taken up with this class. Plus I will have 300+ volunteer hours my last semester through my program, but I wouldn't be able to include them on my application if I applied this summer to DPT schools. Did you take any practice GRE tests before taking the official exam? I received a 156 on both sections on the online practice exam. Wondering how close to the real test it is? Really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!!
I would say the practice exams that ETS offers are pretty close to the real thing! Gregmat is also a great service to use, its only $5/month and has loads of good prep content on there. The guy explained some great strategies and tricks that helped me a ton (he also has a youtube channel). Magoosh is also awesome, I would study using their vocab app and just spend ~30 min a day on it (tried to do this instead of wasting time scrolling on social media!). I tried to get through one practice exam a week the month leading up just so that I could get used to taking a ~3.5 hour long test. GRE isn't bad at all, and after enough practice tests you'll start to notice trends and ways they try to trick you.

I would say the practice exams that ETS offers are pretty close to the real thing! Gregmat is also a great service to use, its only $5/month and has loads of good prep content on there. The guy explained some great strategies and tricks that helped me a ton (he also has a youtube channel). Magoosh is also awesome, I would study using their vocab app and just spend ~30 min a day on it (tried to do this instead of wasting time scrolling on social media!). I tried to get through one practice exam a week the month leading up just so that I could get used to taking a ~3.5 hour long test. GRE isn't bad at all, and after enough practice tests you'll start to notice trends and ways they try to trick you.
Thank you! I'm taking it in 2 weeks so hopefully I do well enough to not have to take it again. But I'm starting early, just in case. Will look into Gregmat!

This is my second cycle applying and I’ve been accepted at one university and waitlisted at 3 more.
Thank you for sharing. Congrats on your acceptance! What did you do in between application cycles? Work, retake a course?

Thank you for sharing. Congrats on your acceptance! What did you do in between application cycles? Work, retake a course?
I applied my junior year and had no acceptances so I improved my GPA, GRE, shadowing and volunteering hours as well as research to apply. I retook stats because the summer instructor was trash.

I applied my junior year and had no acceptances so I improved my GPA, GRE, shadowing and volunteering hours as well as research to apply. I retook stats because the summer instructor was trash.
That makes perfect sense. I am taking a gap year so that I have enough time to retake GRE if needed, have as much volunteer/shadow hours as possible, etc. Good for you for not getting discouraged and taking the time to improve what you needed. :0)

That makes perfect sense. I am taking a gap year so that I have enough time to retake GRE if needed, have as much volunteer/shadow hours as possible, etc. Good for you for not getting discouraged and taking the time to improve what you needed. :0)
Just wanna say that if you’re applying this cycle, you really only need a month or two of GRE prep. As someone said above, use Gregmat and strenuously do his one or two month plan and practice both verbal and math. I spent over a year studying for it and didn’t do better than individuals who studied for 2-3 months.

Just wanna say that if you’re applying this cycle, you really only need a month or two of GRE prep. As someone said above, use Gregmat and strenuously do his one or two month plan and practice both verbal and math. I spent over a year studying for it and didn’t do better than individuals who studied for 2-3 months.
Thank you! I'm taking the GRE in 2 weeks, but I'm not applying to DPT schools until summer of 2024. I'm currently a junior but plan on taking a gap year before I start the application process. My hope is to graduate May 2024 and get a job as a PT aide shortly thereafter. Then start applying. Want to make 100% sure that after I finish all my shadowing hours that this is really the route I want to go. The program is way too long, too pricey and way too stressful a workload to not be 110% sure.

Thank you! I'm taking the GRE in 2 weeks, but I'm not applying to DPT schools until summer of 2024. I'm currently a junior but plan on taking a gap year before I start the application process. My hope is to graduate May 2024 and get a job as a PT aide shortly thereafter. Then start applying. Want to make 100% sure that after I finish all my shadowing hours that this is really the route I want to go. The program is way too long, too pricey and way too stressful a workload to not be 110% sure.
So I’ve spent about 3 total years as an aide and would recommend you don’t waste your time as one. Just get your shadowing hours but get a job that pays better because PT aids don’t make a lot of money and I would’ve rather spent more time making more money and saving rather than $9 per hour. Even if you shadow for 3-4 months you’ll have enough shadowing hours. I had over 2k inpatient and outpatient when I calculated and it didn’t make that much of a difference in the overall cycle.

So I’ve spent about 3 total years as an aide and would recommend you don’t waste your time as one. Just get your shadowing hours but get a job that pays better because PT aids don’t make a lot of money and I would’ve rather spent more time making more money and saving rather than $9 per hour. Even if you shadow for 3-4 months you’ll have enough shadowing hours. I had over 2k inpatient and outpatient when I calculated and it didn’t make that much of a difference in the overall cycle.
Thank you for your insight! I have a friend who graduated college and got a job at a sports rehab PT facility to make sure she liked it. I didn't realize they paid so little. I just thought it would give me the best idea of what I would be doing if I pursued my DPT. How did you go about receiving hours in a hospital setting? I'm definitely more interested in out patient, but I know I need both for my application. Thank you so much for all your help. It's really appreciated!

Thank you for your insight! I have a friend who graduated college and got a job at a sports rehab PT facility to make sure she liked it. I didn't realize they paid so little. I just thought it would give me the best idea of what I would be doing if I pursued my DPT. How did you go about receiving hours in a hospital setting? I'm definitely more interested in out patient, but I know I need both for my application. Thank you so much for all your help. It's really appreciated!
I just asked people in the clinic until I found that one of the PTs husbands worked inpatient and that’s how I made the connection to the director of the inpatient PT and she wrote my LOR. Definitely make sure that you want to do PT before but just don’t spend more time there than you need. I’m sure 500 total hours blended in different settings would be more than sufficient.

I just asked people in the clinic until I found that one of the PTs husbands worked inpatient and that’s how I made the connection to the director of the inpatient PT and she wrote my LOR. Definitely make sure that you want to do PT before but just don’t spend more time there than you need. I’m sure 500 total hours blended in different settings would be more than sufficient.
Thank you! I really appreciate your advice. Totally makes sense.