My tips for studying for the BCSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wahied0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I have just passed the BCSE exam one week ago and although you need to study well for it I think it is actually simpler than it looks
I graduated at 2009 and since then I didn't really work in the veterinary field but I made a career in the pharmaceutical sales buisness so when I decided to start studying for the board 9 months ago I had no experience in the field and I forgut alot of the information I studied in college, however I manged to pass the BCSE in 9 months and actually for about 3 to 4 months of thoses 9 months I didn't study that hard some times I missed a week or two without studying at all because I was very busy working
So how I did it?
I think the main issue here is how to be extremely smart while studying and try to make your study as relevant as possiple to the exam
You must make sure that you understand the exam very well before you begin,it's format and how the marks are divided on different categories
I did the zuku and from the questions I got an idea of the important topics then I started to study them with more details mainly from merck veterinary manual, I took notes and organized several power point presentations on different categories to study them later bacteriology, virology, parasitology, etc (which helped me alot, I strongly recommend doing this)
Pay attention to treatments, anatomical land marks and injection sites you will also find top 20 diseases for each species for the NAVLE, study thoses well, just search for them on the internet and you will find cards of the top 20 cases for each species
Nevertheless there were still alot of questions that I didn't recognize in the exam mainly related to different types of bacterial and viral cultures, histology slides for different types of cell proliferation, some anesthetic procedures related to when to extubate and titration of anesthesia and monitoring vital signs ( so study those well as there weren't any question in Zuku about them)
The zuku helped me with about 50% of the questions the rest I used my common senese and logic (which is a big part of how you pass the BCSE)
There were some questions in the BCSE on animal behaviour too like separation anxiety and fear of loud sounds and how to desensitize your dog fear and stuff like that which I didn't pay attention to or read during my study for the exam so I answered most of them using common sense.
Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
so I have just passed the BCSE exam one week ago and although you need to study well for it I think it is actually simpler than it looks
I graduated at 2009 and since then I didn't really work in the veterinary field but I made a career in the pharmaceutical sales buisness so when I decided to start studying for the board 9 months ago I had no experience in the field and I forgut alot of the information I studied in college, however I manged to pass the BCSE in 9 months and actually for about 3 to 4 months of thoses 9 months I didn't study that hard some times I missed a week or two without studying at all because I was very busy working
So how I did it?
I think the main issue here is how to be extremely smart while studying and try to make your study as relevant as possiple to the exam
You must make sure that you understand the exam very well before you begin,it's format and how the marks are divided on different categories
I did the zuku and from the questions I got an idea of the important topics then I started to study them with more details mainly from merck veterinary manual, I took notes and organized several power point presentations on different categories to study them later bacteriology, virology, parasitology, etc (which helped me alot, I strongly recommend doing this)
Pay attention to treatments, anatomical land marks and injection sites you will also find top 20 diseases for each species for the NAVLE, study thoses well, just search for them on the internet and you will find cards of the top 20 cases for each species
Nevertheless there were still alot of questions that I didn't recognize in the exam mainly related to different types of bacterial and viral cultures, histology slides for different types of cell proliferation, some anesthetic procedures related to when to extubate and titration of anesthesia and monitoring vital signs ( so study those well as there weren't any question in Zuku about them)
The zuku helped me with about 50% of the questions the rest I used my common senese and logic (which is a big part of how you pass the BCSE)
There were some questions in the BCSE on animal behaviour too like separation anxiety and fear of loud sounds and how to desensitize your dog fear and stuff like that which I didn't pay attention to or read during my study for the exam so I answered most of them using common sense.
Good luck
Thank you for those tips. It has been a while since anyone wrote their experience with studying and passing exams

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, thank you for sharing your experience. I just took TOEFL and now I'm studying for BCSE. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So how I did it?
Good luck

So how I did it?
Good luck

So how I did it?
Good luck

hi Dr .Wahied I'm happy for you as you passed the bcse ,I'm preparing to pass the exam in next 6 months

hi Dr .Wahied I'm happy for you as you passed the bcse ,I'm preparing to pass the exam in next 6 months

Hello Ali,
Do you have a study group?? If so I would like to join you guys if you dont mind.

So how I did it?
Good luck

Thanks for sharing, this is really helpful. If you don't mind, which ZUKU did you use to study?Also have you started on your CPE preparation and how are you going about it?
Preparing to take the BCSE next month and would appreciate your comments. Be blessed.

i am going to start with BCSE.plz help with the books required for preparation. how long does it take to prepare for the exam.

Reactions: 1 users
i am going to start with BCSE.plz help with the books required for preparation. how long does it take to prepare for the exam.

Hello. If you go on the ECFVG website it gives you information on the BCSE including how the exam is divided and suggested reading material.

So how I did it?
Good luck
Hello would you tell me exactly which refrences we should study for bsce exam?

Hello. If you go on the ECFVG website it gives you information on the BCSE including how the exam is divided and suggested reading material.
Hello
As i see that website mentioned alle the refrences you may need in veterinary ! But im looking for the books that are enough for bcse exam. I'll thank you to help me

Hi, I am planning to write my BCSE exam in some months time. Please what are the useful materials that are useful without reading all the recommended references? In addition, I am looking for a study partner. I will be grateful if you can get in touch with me. James