My transcript only shows earned credits? How do input them into Pharmcas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmguy01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a class where I attempted 3 credits, but failed it and received 0 credits awhile ago. I have since retook it and for the second attempt it shows the full 3 credits earned. However, on pharmcas how do I input the first attempt? Should I still put down 3 credit (as in attempted) and then the F grade or keep it like it shows on my transcript (0.00 credits earned). This would have been less confusing if my transcript just showed attempted credits instead of earned credits only... anybody know? :(

P.S. I asked on the prepharm forum but nobody really seemed to know or been able to answer me. So I figured to ask here, since you guys have been through the entire process already. Hopefully some luck here. I also asked Pharmcas multiple times...and each time every staff member seemed so confused and gave me different answers over the phone AND email and the last one didn't even get back to me after she said she would... :(

Members don't see this ad.

No one here knows... contact the PharmCAS help desk.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't really know. To be honest, I can't remember entering transcripts into PharmCAS when I applied. It sounds like a real pain.

Here is the guidance published by PharmCAS:
Coursework (Completed, In Progress, and Planned)

Bearing in mind that I don't know anything, I would enter the course as a 3 credit hour course with an F grade. PharmCAS asks you to "enter the credit hours the course was worth, regardless of the grade you received in the course."

PharmCAS recognizes that this will alter your GPA. The PharmCAS site on GPA calculation states that, "PharmCAS will include ALL initial AND repeated course work in its GPA calculations."

It also states that, "[g]rades and credit hours for all FAILED courses will be included in the PharmCAS GPA, even if they are not included in the GPA calculations of the transcript-issuing institution. The schools to which you are applying may recalculate your GPA excluding repeated coursework."

Here is the site on GPA calculation:
PharmCAS Instructions & FAQs

Addendum: I'm kind of mad at the help desk. I feel like they should have been able to help you through this given that there is published guidance on this issue. Good luck with your application. I think the most successful people are the type of people who will pick up a phone and call a help desk. It says good things about you :)

Last edited: