My Weakness is Bleach?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saikaks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a particularly sharp sense of smell. Even after the fact, this did not appear to be a problem because the smells of death and decay did not bother me or cause any nausea. However, I did realize I had some sort of aversion to the smell of bleach or chlorine. Earlier today, I conducted a lab in which the room was completely permeated with the smell of bleach. Exposed to this pungent smell for less than 10 minutes, I was coughing, my vision started going black, and I was about to faint at any second. Bleach is frequently used in hospitals and research laboratories and is a smell any medical/health worker would have to get used to.
Are there any ways I can desensitize myself to the smell of bleach? For example, put myself in rooms smelling of bleach (however, I do not think poisoning myself is the answer!) or maybe some sort of gradual desensitization? I am still quite young (junior in high school) but fully set on becoming a Medical Examiner. I'd like to know whether this seemingly slight setback would cause major problems in the working environment.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get used to it.

Get into college first.

I have a particularly sharp sense of smell. Even after the fact, this did not appear to be a problem because the smells of death and decay did not bother me or cause any nausea. However, I did realize I had some sort of aversion to the smell of bleach or chlorine. Earlier today, I conducted a lab in which the room was completely permeated with the smell of bleach. Exposed to this pungent smell for less than 10 minutes, I was coughing, my vision started going black, and I was about to faint at any second. Bleach is frequently used in hospitals and research laboratories and is a smell any medical/health worker would have to get used to.
Are there any ways I can desensitize myself to the smell of bleach? For example, put myself in rooms smelling of bleach (however, I do not think poisoning myself is the answer!) or maybe some sort of gradual desensitization? I am still quite young (junior in high school) but fully set on becoming a Medical Examiner. I'd like to know whether this seemingly slight setback would cause major problems in the working environment.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
this is actually a problem on our lab floor.

bleach solns are supposed to always be covered so they dont irritate people. but noone really followed the rules and it took me about a year to get useed to it

Reactions: 1 user
@saikaks I wouldn't worry about it. Alcohol wipes and hand washing are effective in dealing with most pathogens.

Thought this referred to the anime

Reactions: 6 users
I used to feel the same way about blood and viscera, but I overcame it when I was about 14

Did it involve vivisection of small animals?
Actually, I found that performing vivisections and regular dissections on my spare time gradually took away the shakiness in my hands.

Actually, I found that performing vivisections and regular dissections on my spare time gradually took away the shakiness in my hands.

get help

Reactions: 3 users
Go swimming in an indoor pool. If you haven't passed out within seconds of walking into the pool area, you'll eventually get used to it.

Medical advice is not allowed on SDN. Nor is posting the same thing in multiple places. Closing.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.