My weakness question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danib2k15

ACCEPTED WOOOOOO
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've tried posting this in another thread but did not receive a response. In all honesty, my biggest weakness is that I tend to get stressed out and flustered when things do not go according to plan. In terms of how I have dealt with this and worked to overcome it - I have had several very stressful life situations (Parent with illness, gap year plans completely falling through) which have allowed me to develop coping mechanisms to avoid stress like maintaining a positive attitude, and having a solution oriented mentality. Furthermore, I have learned that the times my life has "gone askew" have often led to me participate in fulfilling and meaningful experiences I would not have otherwise pursued (Some of my most important and meaningful activities - what I wrote my personal statement on). Of course, this is a work in progress but I always trying to keep an open mind and be appreciative of what I have.

Thoughts?
Thank you all so much - this community has been tremendously supportive and helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, I think that's a good answer because it is a legit weakness (not a BS "I'm a perfectionist" answer) and you can honestly say you've worked to overcome it and have made progress

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, I think that's a good answer because it is a legit weakness (not a BS "I'm a perfectionist" answer) and you can honestly say you've worked to overcome it and have made progress

Thank you so much @ls2412 :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds good. The important components to this question are 1) the weakness has to actually be a weakness, and 2) you need to demonstrate how you're taking steps to improve. Sounds like you have both.

Reactions: 1 users
I would stress that it is not acute stress.

If I was interviewing a would be doctor, I would not want to hear that acute freak outs are an issue...regardless of being worked on or not.

Medicine presents many acute situations requiring one to remain calm and not stress/freak out.

I would stress that it is not acute stress.

If I was interviewing a would be doctor, I would not want to hear that acute freak outs are an issue...regardless of being worked on or not.

Medicine presents many acute situations requiring one to remain calm and not stress/freak out.

Completely hear what you mean. I suppose I assumed that was somewhat implied/obvious with my references to large life events. Very valuable point though!

The word you're looking for is "resilience"
Your weakness has made you resilient

The word you're looking for is "resilience"
Your weakness has made you resilient

I am not sure I would say my weakness made me resilient. However, my various life experiences have made me resilient and helped me to overcome my weakness.

I'd be careful with saying you get "flustered" when things go wrong, saying stressed out is fine, followed with how you've coped/are coping with that. Flustered could indicate you'd freak out/lose focus during an operation where something dramatically unexpected happened.