Myoglobin vs Hemoglobin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Myoglobin vs Hemoglobin?

Besides hemoglobin showing coopertivity, and myglobin having higher affinity for O2, what is the purpose of myglobin in existing in blood?

Members don't see this ad.

Myoglobin vs Hemoglobin?

Besides hemoglobin showing coopertivity, and myglobin having higher affinity for O2, what is the purpose of myglobin in existing in blood?

main function is to carry the oxygen in the muscles

This is where I feel people over-do the Bio section. Because it is so random, people tend to (myself included) dive to deep into detail on topics like this.

Understanding the difference in the two in great detail would be substantial; however, for the DAT you will most likely only need to know: Hemoglobin= O2 transport in blood whereas Myoglobin= O2 transport/storage in muscles. That is just an example, but most questions will require knowledge on the general concepts more than the deep detail.

Keep it basic. Remember, not everyone applying is a Biology major, so know the general ideas behind terms/concepts. It's often not the questions pertaining to ideas like this that people miss because they studied it so well. The basic things that people neglect, for example Taxonomy, tend to come back and bite you in the a** on a question. IMO- Bio is too random come test day to really ever feel you fully learned and retained what you needed, so understand the general concepts first and master your chemistry sections, and def. PAT and then revert back to BIO for more detalied concepts.

I was a Bio major and thought I had a grip on Bio no problem, but ended with an 18 each time. Thankfully, I did well on my chem to jack up my TS and did well on RC to help my AA because I knew QR would be my worst section. Best of luck.

One other important thing to know about the two is that myoglobin only has one site for oxygen binding while hemoglobin has 4.

Members don't see this ad :)
Myoglobin vs Hemoglobin?

Myoglobin essentially has a higher affinity for oxygen than does hemoglobin, so it picks O2 up from the blood and delivers it into the muscles. Myoglobin also has only one polypeptide chain, whereas hemoglobin has four.

Myoglobin vs Hemoglobin?

You should know the hemoglobin is affected by pH and temperature where as myoglobin is unaffected both

You should know the hemoglobin is affected by pH and temperature where as myoglobin is unaffected both

And understand the haldane and bohr effects.

Haldane - focus on oxygen concentrations and what effect it has on hemoglobin.

Bohr - focus on CO2 and H+ concentrations and what effect it has on hemoglobin

This is where I feel people over-do the Bio section. Because it is so random, people tend to (myself included) dive to deep into detail on topics like this.

Understanding the difference in the two in great detail would be substantial; however, for the DAT you will most likely only need to know: Hemoglobin= O2 transport in blood whereas Myoglobin= O2 transport/storage in muscles. That is just an example, but most questions will require knowledge on the general concepts more than the deep detail.

Keep it basic. Remember, not everyone applying is a Biology major, so know the general ideas behind terms/concepts. It's often not the questions pertaining to ideas like this that people miss because they studied it so well. The basic things that people neglect, for example Taxonomy, tend to come back and bite you in the a** on a question. IMO- Bio is too random come test day to really ever feel you fully learned and retained what you needed, so understand the general concepts first and master your chemistry sections, and def. PAT and then revert back to BIO for more detalied concepts.

I was a Bio major and thought I had a grip on Bio no problem, but ended with an 18 each time. Thankfully, I did well on my chem to jack up my TS and did well on RC to help my AA because I knew QR would be my worst section. Best of luck.

I couldn't agree more! If you've got the basics down pack you can usually come up with the right answer or at least a very educated guess on all questions.