Na+ K+

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utdent20

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can Someone confirm this for me, at rest, The K+ is inside and Na+ is outside? and vice versa for action potential
Also what is refractory period and what is the proces of it.

Members don't see this ad.

can Someone confirm this for me, at rest, The K+ is inside and Na+ is outside? and vice versa for action potential

At rest there is a greater concentration of K+ inside because at the resting membrane potential the membrane is impermeable to Na+ ions so it cannot come in. Also the Na+/K+ ATP pump maintains this gradient of about -70 mV.

I think K+ leak channels play a role as well but I'm not 100% sure.

The Refractory Period is a period when no Action Potential can be fired. I suggest you read wikipedia for a more detailed explanation...

At rest there is a greater concentration of K+ inside because at the resting membrane potential the membrane is impermeable to Na+ ions so it cannot come in. Also the Na+/K+ ATP pump maintains this gradient of about -70 mV.

I think K+ leak channels play a role as well but I'm not 100% sure.

The Refractory Period is a period when no Action Potential can be fired. I suggest you read wikipedia for a more detailed explanation...

I don't think this is important, but there sodium and potassium leak channels that have little effect because the sodium/potassium pump overpower them. I think the sodium leak channels leak less than the potassium ones.

The K+ leaks channels are important in estb the negative interior of a cell as they are allowed to leak out and polarize the inside. However, it is the large anions and negatively charged molecules found inside the cell which contribute the most to the overall negative charge of a cell.

Members don't see this ad :)
The K+ leaks channels are important in estb the negative interior of a cell as they are allowed to leak out and polarize the inside. However, it is the large anions and negatively charged molecules found inside the cell which contribute the most to the overall negative charge of a cell.
yup

Which book did you get this from?

before the Axn Pot' the inside of the cell is more negative than the outside right?