--NA--

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

satdixon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
--NA--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you think medical schools might be a little more lenient with clinical experience with the upcoming cycle due to coronavirus? I currently have 57 hours of shadowing, 90 hours from hospital volunteering that I do every summer. I am currently volunteering virtually for a hospice for the summer, and I should be able to get like 70-80. I was supposed to have 100+ hours of shadowing and 120 hours of hospital volunteering, but my plans got canceled due to coronavirus
You don't need more than 50 shadowing hours, so long as you included a primary care doc.

Ninety completed hours is on the light side for active clinical experience, but on the plus side, it was acquired during earlier summers. If you complete 70-80 hours of virtual hospice visits in addition, before you submit your application, due to COVID, I expect many adcomms will be more lenient about the fact that the experience was not in-person and will look at it as fulfilling their expectations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So are you saying I should be good since I got 90 hours of volunteering over 3 summers and 57 hours of shadowing if I got the hospice volunteering in? I should have 70-80 hours by early August at the latest as I have already started hospice volunteering
When did you plan to submit your application?

So are you saying I should be good since I got 90 hours of volunteering over 3 summers and 57 hours of shadowing if I got the hospice volunteering in? I should have 70-80 hours by early August at the latest as I have already started hospice volunteering
When did you plan to submit your application?
Early to mid-july
If you can get in about 60 completed hospice hours before submitting, you "should be good."

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think med schools might be lenient this cycle due to coronavirus?
As I said above:
I expect many adcomms will be more lenient about the fact that the experience was not in-person and will look at it as fulfilling their expectations.
In your favor is that you also (presumably) have more-traditional, in-person patient interaction to report.

Do you think medical schools might be a little more lenient with clinical experience with the upcoming cycle due to coronavirus? I currently have 57 hours of shadowing, 90 hours from hospital volunteering that I do every summer. I am currently volunteering virtually for a hospice for the summer, and I should be able to get like 70-80. I was supposed to have 100+ hours of shadowing and 120 hours of hospital volunteering, but my plans got canceled due to coronavirus
No, because it's a seller's market and you'll simply be crowded out by people with better ECs.

Sadly, your health, and that of your family and society, is more important than your career aspirations. take a gap year and apply in the next cycle. You'll simply have to retire at age 66 instead of 65.

Note, this is one of those rare times that I disagree with my wise colleague the Cat.

Fifty hours of shadowing is more than enough.
30 hours/summer of volunteering times three summers is rather light. I hope you filled the rest of the time with things you can document. Your application is suboptimal and, as Goro has said, there will be no less competition due to being limited in what applicants could do over the past 3-4 months.