NAMASTE and all that good stuff

ladkhi

High School Junior
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well hello there!

This question has probably asked so many times that if you hear it again, you might bang your head against a wall. But please, for the sake of this hopelessly desperate girl, hear me out!

I have NO idea where to go from here.

Let's hit the facts:

- I am 16, and High School Junior, Indian (Bombay!), and I live in North Texas.

- I am currently ranked second in class out of 1077. But methinks this might change positively by the end of the semester (hehehe!)

- Definitely interested to Neurosurgery! I love the brain, dissecting it, and learning how it works! (I say learning, because I have no idea how the brain works. Well kinda. No instruction yet!)

- Took my first SAT today! I've been going to this one SAT prep center and have been making around 2100 minus the essay, which I usually get a perfect 12 on. I'm rather eloquent :)

- I've been volunteering at my local hospital under the Radiology department (Yeah, I know, but first time n00bs don't get first pick) and it was probably the most fun volunteering experience I've had. I enjoy the hospital life! (Wow that sounded wrong)

- I am generally a lazy person. I get excellent grades (hence the rank), but I honestly don't get shelving books at the library for hours to get volunteer credit. I'd rather be tutoring a kid (which I am going to start soon) or talking with someone intelligently.

- I can speak Spanish pretty well. Went up to Spanish 4 and took the exam. :)

- I also helped volunteer at the no insurance walk in pediatric clinic - MAN DID THAT PLACE SUCK. They gave orders in Spanish and I filed records for like 4 hours straight. UGH.

- I am currently taking AP Chemistry and gonna talk AP Bio next year. I love Biology, who doesn't want to learn about ATP and penises!

Okay, okay, I digress. Sorry!

My question(s) is/are: What college do y'all recommend that gives me ample scholarship and is great for Pre-Med programs? What do you suggest I do?

I'm leaning towards the BS/MD program that Rice/Baylor offers but I hear it's cutthroat and people poison your drinks just to beat competition (just kidding! I hope...) Again, what do you think?

MUCH MUCH THANKS AND I GIVE MY SINCEREST GRATITUDE TO THOSE WHO RESPOND! :love:

I seriously need a mentor!

Members don't see this ad.

a few brief comments:

It doesn't really make a difference where you go for college. I'd apply to a few placed you think you might like, try to visit them and see where you'd be happy. Successfully applying to med school will depend much more on your personal effort than the resources of the school, so try to find a place that will best facilitate you working hard and getting good grades and standardized test scores.

Keep up with the volunteering and shadowing. If your current positions don't allow you to interact with patients, you might consider finding a rewarding non-medical volunteer experience (like the tutoring you mentioned) and then finding a doctor you can shadow (basically follow them around as they see patients). I'd avoid knocking any specialties at this point in your career. Most students change their specialty choice a few times before deciding. You can learn a lot from a radiologist if you ask them a question. Ever tried to read a chest x-ray?

I don't have personal experience with the Rice/Baylor program. They're both good schools, it might be worth at least looking into and applying. Interview days tend to be informative since they get tours, presentations from admissions directors and one-on-one time to ask your interviewer(s) questions. If accepted you can then make a decision as to whether you'd like to go there or somewhere else.

Other than that, keep the grades and test scores up. :thumbup:

You can learn a lot from a radiologist if you ask them a question. Ever tried to read a chest x-ray?

I was usually in the Breast Imaging Department (so used to hearing the line, "Ma'am, please take your shirt and bra off"), and yes, I tried to read and they lovingly helped me :)

As for shadowing a doctor, I'm kind of scared. This is gonna sound stupid, but, do doctors usually let high school girls shadow them? I know I would have to ask the patient, but I'm a little nervous because my doctor is a little scary :( But hey, I'm willing to go the extra mile!

Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was usually in the Breast Imaging Department (so used to hearing the line, "Ma'am, please take your shirt and bra off"), and yes, I tried to read and they lovingly helped me :)

As for shadowing a doctor, I'm kind of scared. This is gonna sound stupid, but, do doctors usually let high school girls shadow them? I know I would have to ask the patient, but I'm a little nervous because my doctor is a little scary :( But hey, I'm willing to go the extra mile!

Thanks so much for your reply! I really appreciate it!

I shadowed a doc in HS.

Once you've got a doc that's willing to let you shadow them, all you'll be expected to do is follow them around. When they go see a patient, they'll usually say something along the lines of "I have a student with me today, is it ok if they observe"... some clinics like Ob/Gyn tend to be a little more "no" heavy with that question, but most patients are fine with it. Then you just observe and save any questions you might have until after you're outside the patient's room.

Dont fork over too much cash for undergrad especially if you have intention of pursuing medicine. Rake up the loans at an excellent medical school not undergrad.

True story, I completely agree doc...You will rack up loans, so do everything you can to avoid them in undergrad!

My question Is very similar. I am a senior in HS and I have been accepted to a BS/MD program but I decided not to go there for financial reasons but I would like to attend medical school. I have noried down my search to University of Georgia or Georgia Tech. I know that Georgia tech is a better school but its also very hard to get a good GPA at Tech. UGA is an average state school and easy(relatively speaking) to get a good GPA. Where should is go knowing that both premed programs have about the same percent of acceptance into medical school?
Thanks everyone

My question Is very similar. I am a senior in HS and I have been accepted to a BS/MD program but I decided not to go there for financial reasons but I would like to attend medical school. I have noried down my search to University of Georgia or Georgia Tech. I know that Georgia tech is a better school but its also very hard to get a good GPA at Tech. UGA is an average state school and easy(relatively speaking) to get a good GPA. Where should is go knowing that both premed programs have about the same percent of acceptance into medical school?
Thanks everyone

Wherever you can get the higher gpa, but don't choose a school because of it's difficulty. I rather attend a no name college and be happy (enjoying college life, heh), then a prestigious one and be miserable.

Wherever you can get the higher gpa, but don't choose a school because of it's difficulty. I rather attend a no name college and be happy (enjoying college life, heh), then a prestigious one and be miserable.

lol I like your ans but would it help to go to a more pertigious college to get into medical school?