Name change dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KVSP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently had my last name changed legally due to personal reasons. However I just realized that all my recommendation letters have my previous last name. Are these letters still valid or would I need to get new ones? Can I just write a sentence on my personal statement explaining that these letters are still addressed to me? I was planning to apply next summer.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

You shouldn't know the text of your LORs: they're supposed to be confidential. It's also odd to have LORs eight months in advance. I would just contact your letter writers and tell them to update the LORs with your new last name: they do have hella time to do so, after all.

You shouldn't know the text of your LORs: they're supposed to be confidential. It's also odd to have LORs eight months in advance. I would just contact your letter writers and tell them to update the LORs with your new last name: they do have hella time to do so, after all.

Not if the writers show you the letter.

and how did you make that leap, anyway?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not if the writers show you the letter.

and how did you make that leap, anyway?

Yeah, and I feel like it would be pretty safe to assume that your LOR writers would write your full name somewhere in the letter...