Name Change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeimMama

RUSVM c/o 2018
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those of you who have gone through a name change, let me pick your brain.

I got married last week and am in zero rush to do so but would eventually like to change my name legally. I do however wish to remain Dr. MaidenName... is there a way I can legally be Mrs. MarriedName and remain Dr. MaidenName at work? Or do I just socially introduce myself as Mrs. MarriedName even though legally thats a lie?

I could have sworn I read or heard that you can legally change your last name and as long as you keep all your doctorings consistent under one name and don't go back and forth between Dr. MaidenName and Dr. MarriedName.

Members don't see this ad.

A. I only know human med, not vet med.
B. I only know about Texas
C. It is not a big deal; however, what I have seen a lot of is using maiden name as middle name (legally--like on social security and driver's license) but not change it on their medical license. This has been permissable--and actually, makes life a little simpler when it comes to credentialing (I see that your name was Smith on your undergrad degree, and on your medical school diploma, so why are you applying for a medical license with the name of Jones??) again, using maiden as middle name makes that a little smoother....
D. Make several copies of your marriage license. Get a couple of them "certified". You will get asked a lot for these, no matter which way you go name wise.
E. Other route that worked well....we had one doctor who hypenated her maiden-married name; ie, was known legally and on licensing as Dr. Smith-Jones. But everybody just called her Dr. Smith. :) She said it was very easy making the changes to just drop the Jones when they got divorced...

Reactions: 1 user
A. I only know human med, not vet med.
B. I only know about Texas
C. It is not a big deal; however, what I have seen a lot of is using maiden name as middle name (legally--like on social security and driver's license) but not change it on their medical license. This has been permissable--and actually, makes life a little simpler when it comes to credentialing (I see that your name was Smith on your undergrad degree, and on your medical school diploma, so why are you applying for a medical license with the name of Jones??) again, using maiden as middle name makes that a little smoother....
D. Make several copies of your marriage license. Get a couple of them "certified". You will get asked a lot for these, no matter which way you go name wise.
E. Other route that worked well....we had one doctor who hypenated her maiden-married name; ie, was known legally and on licensing as Dr. Smith-Jones. But everybody just called her Dr. Smith. :) She said it was very easy making the changes to just drop the Jones when they got divorced...
Thank you this was super helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re planning to change your name eventually, I would probably do it sooner rather than latter. Your wedding certificate can only be used as a name change order for so long after the wedding (don’t remember how long..), otherwise you’ll have to get a name change order and that was kind of a pain. I didn’t change my name for married reasons, so I had to get a name change order and it took a while to find an opening on the docket if I remember correctly. And involved going to some random court house in my county at 7 A.M. because it was the first opening I could find :laugh:

But if you just want to go by married name socially and don’t care if it’s your legal name... I would just not change it. Such a pain getting everything changed over. Never again :laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
Either change your last name legally and just have people call you Dr Maiden name at work or don’t change your name legally and introduce yourself outside of work as Mrs Married Name.

Reactions: 1 users
Either change your last name legally and just have people call you Dr Maiden name at work or don’t change your name legally and introduce yourself outside of work as Mrs Married Name.

I'm doing the former, though I've been married 8 months now and still have yet to start the name change process.... Oops.

But is that legal is my question? If I am legally WeimMama Married Name am I ALLOWED to go by Dr. Maiden Name?

But is that legal is my question? If I am legally WeimMama Married Name am I ALLOWED to go by Dr. Maiden Name?

I don't see why not if your degree was given to you and written in your maiden name.

In what context? At work you’ll introduce yourself however you want :) The only reason I’d err on the side of keeping your maiden on paperwork would be so that your state license and/or DEA all match up properly.

This isn’t a situation I expect I’ll ever be in but for ease of work life, unless you’re super adamant about legally being WeimMama HusbandsName, I would keep your legal name as WeimMama MaidenName and just respond to Mrs./Dr. HusbandsName socially. People aren’t gonna ask to see your legal documents to prove your name in social situations (and if they do screw them, lol), but it will likely happen for regulatory reasons during your veterinary career. I can see it getting complicated if clients know you as ‘Dr MaidenName’ but all your legal paperwork like DEA has to be under ‘Dr HusbandsName’. Pharmacies and owners can’t always get things right even when things are easy.

I got married between 3rd and 4th year and I changed my maiden name to my middle name and my married name as my last. I am going to ask my employer and the state board if it is ok to go by Dr. MiddleName/MaidenName. I think it should be ok as long as I sign things with my new last name too?