name dropping in secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icedamericanopls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
if I co-authored a manuscript with a professor at a certain medical school, would it be a bad idea to mention the professor in their secondaries? I am a third author and that professor is second author, but we did not interact directly together & different universities.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it would be a bad idea. Why would you drop the name of someone you don’t know?

Reactions: 4 users
I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea but not very helpful. If you were resourceful, this could be a networking opportunity where you would send the professor an email or call introducing yourself and include that you both were on the authorship for a certain manuscript & that you'd be interested in learning more about their work at that specific medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
if I co-authored a manuscript with a professor at a certain medical school, would it be a bad idea to mention the professor in their secondaries? I am a third author and that professor is second author, but we did not interact directly together & different universities.
I can't recommend this. And don't assume that people who are on admissions committees will know who the person is either.

Reactions: 2 users
Won’t help at all and could be a turn off to certain readers

Reactions: 3 users
I read on here that name dropping can be risky because you never know who has beef with who

Reactions: 3 users