Name in a method?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acc1999

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a question. I had the incredible honor of having some professors name an educational method in my name. I did not realize they were going to do this, but I was the one who created it from the literature and implemented it, so they decided to go with my name.

I am incredibly grateful for them to do this, but i wonder how that reflects on my as a medical school applicant. If i simply say "my name" method, would they think im egotistical and named it after myself, or should i find some time to explain how i didnt name it? At the same time, i don't want to be rude to these people who named it after me...what should i do??

thoughts appreciated!

Acc1999

Members don't see this ad.

if you google it does it come up? was there some sort of paper written about it? if either of these is yes then who cares who named it.

btw i think that's awesome

data collection is currently in the works. Plan on submitting it this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well if you list it in your AMCAS, you're going to have to describe the method anyway.

I would just describe the method and quickly mention that your PI credited you for it.

It could even be that your PI will write about it in a LOR, which might explain it all for curious adcoms.

do you think i should just outright say "my name" method in the title? I was going to say novel educational method....

I wouldn't call it by your name. I'd mention that you developed/designed/implemented it and that it's currently in the process to be published. I'm sure it will come up in interviews, and you can mention that it will be called by your name.

what if i don't get an interview at all?

do you think i should just outright say "my name" method in the title?

yes! that would be SO pimp!

you can put it under the teaching/tutoring category in AMCAS with the name of the method as the title. but make sure you write an AWESOME description because i guarantee you that everyone who sees your app will very intently read the description.

do you think that explicitly stating that it's the "Acc1999 method" is going to get you an interview, but saying "I developed a method ..... named after me" won't?

o nono, i just thouht u meant not to mention it at all in the essay, and then describe it in the interview.

hm...2 competeing interpretations. we need a tiebreaker, or an adcom (LizzyM...where are you!?)

o nono, i just thouht u meant not to mention it at all in the essay, and then describe it in the interview.
Even if you don't write it in your essay, it'll appear in your EC section.

gar! semantics foils me again!

i meant not mention the fact that it is called the acc1999 method anywhere in the app and then subtly mention it in the interview. i feel like it should be in the app somewhere, but am deciding whether it should be in the title, the description, or leave it up to the LOR

You're going to have an EC section, where you'll probably have one entry for your research experience. You'll describe the research you did, and mention that you developed a method, which is in publication and will be called the acc1999 method.

You don't have a lot of room to go into extensive detail about the research or your method, but it will not go unnoticed.

gar! semantics foils me again!

i meant not mention the fact that it is called the acc1999 method anywhere in the app and then subtly mention it in the interview. i feel like it should be in the app somewhere, but am deciding whether it should be in the title, the description, or leave it up to the LOR
Listen to armybound.

I would definitely include it in the description of the EC in your AMCAS (how's that for clarity?)

Do not leave it up to the LOR. For all you know, your PI won't mention it or the adcom won't read it.

First off, congrats because that is pretty incredible. Second, I'd definitely say your name. Like so:

Acc1999 Method: developed for blah blah blah in Prof. A's lab.

Everyone has something special in their app be it super ECs, saving a village from the plague, or 4.0 and 45T. You need to milk that for all it's worth so if I were you I'd put it in the ECs, personal statement, and talk about it in the interview. Think about it, if you don't put it in the app how are they going to know to ask about it? Make it a big pointy thing in your app that makes them go "oh wow." It's not like they ask everyone "by the way do you have a method named after you?" :D

how do you think I got into an md/phd program at Harvard?

My name is Pythagorean Wright