Mentioning a med school professor's name in an LOI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j_diggity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm writing an LOI to a research-heavy school that says they like these kinds of letters. I'm also applying regular MD if that matters for the following scenario.

During my interview, my interviewer brought up that there's a professor who does work similar to some work I've done in the past. He gave me this professor's email. This professor is a big deal and I haven't reached out to him for many reasons, mainly because it seems pointless given that I'm not even accepted, so why would he waste his time, but also because I've been very busy. However, if I were to attend the school in question, I would be strongly interested in getting involved with his lab if possible.

Since my interviewer mentioned this professor to me during my interview, and because I'm interested in this research, I'm considering mentioning his lab as part of the reason I'm interested in attending this school. I'm thinking verbiage along the lines of "During my interview, Dr. [my interviewer] mentioned a researcher Dr. [professor], whose research lab focuses on efforts similar to my previous experience doing [XYZ]. At [your school], I would seek to build on my previous work and contribute to the field of [X]." This way I'm not implying any type of endorsement from that professor, while still being as specific and compelling as possible about why I am interested in this school. Of course, I am still wary about implying any kind of endorsement from this professor.

The alternative is to leave out both the name of the professor and his lab and only say that my interviewer "mentioned a researcher who does [X]," begging the question of "who is this mysterious researcher and why is this applicant being so cagey about their name?" This seems awkward to me, and worse.

What are your thoughts? Would it be worth reaching out to this prof beforehand just so I'm on his radar? I have plenty of time to reach out to him and try to establish a connection if that's a much better tack, although I can't predict how he'll respond, and I'd like to get this LOI in ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think it implies endorsement at all. I think it is fine to leave the name in

Reactions: 2 users
I'm thinking verbiage along the lines of "During my interview, Dr. [my interviewer] mentioned a researcher Dr. [professor], whose research lab focuses on efforts similar to my previous experience doing [XYZ]. At [your school], I would seek to build on my previous work and contribute to the field of [X]."
I can be wrong, but this signals to me that you want to work as a graduate student and don't understand that you might not be able to work with this professor as a medical student. The professor could move next year, or might not have enough grant funding for a student.

Focus on the clinical opportunities that the program offers. Name dropping doesn't seem to be effective for medical school interviews.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can be wrong, but this signals to me that you want to work as a graduate student and don't understand that you might not be able to work with this professor as a medical student. The professor could move next year, or might not have enough grant funding for a student.

Focus on the clinical opportunities that the program offers. Name dropping doesn't seem to be effective for medical school interviews.
Thank you for this response. You have a point. My question is then why would the interviewer mention it? It seemed like he was just genuinely excited about that alignment. But to your point, most of this prof's lab are PhDs, MD attendings, or PGY residents (half of whom are MD/PhD); I saw one MD-only student and a handful of MD/PhD's among the maybe 30 staff.

Thinking big picture, my goal is to draw a line between my past experiences and the incredible opportunities at this school. I suppose I don't have to mention this specific lab to do that, but I also wonder if it's odd to omit this breadcrumb that my interviewer gave.

Part of my motivation is that, while I have some research, it is a relative weakness in my app to this research-heavy school. So I want to emphasize the experience that I do have, some of which comes from my unique background.

Do you have any thoughts on this or are you still more or less of the same mind? I appreciate your feedback, thank you!

The interviewer happened to notice an overlap and thought this would be helpful information in the event that you are accepted and ultimately attend. Nothing more than that in my opinion.

Reactions: 5 users
My question is then why would the interviewer mention it? It seemed like he was just genuinely excited about that alignment.
Hey, you have something in common with the researcher!! I would point that out too. But most interviewers won't bring this up in their report to the admissions committee who are generally much less enthusiastic about similar similarities. That's not how we make decisions. Basically it helps to make you feel like you could belong at the school, but nothing much more.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello,

I'm writing an LOI to a research-heavy school that says they like these kinds of letters. I'm also applying regular MD if that matters for the following scenario.

During my interview, my interviewer brought up that there's a professor who does work similar to some work I've done in the past. He gave me this professor's email. This professor is a big deal and I haven't reached out to him for many reasons, mainly because it seems pointless given that I'm not even accepted, so why would he waste his time, but also because I've been very busy. However, if I were to attend the school in question, I would be strongly interested in getting involved with his lab if possible.

Since my interviewer mentioned this professor to me during my interview, and because I'm interested in this research, I'm considering mentioning his lab as part of the reason I'm interested in attending this school. I'm thinking verbiage along the lines of "During my interview, Dr. [my interviewer] mentioned a researcher Dr. [professor], whose research lab focuses on efforts similar to my previous experience doing [XYZ]. At [your school], I would seek to build on my previous work and contribute to the field of [X]." This way I'm not implying any type of endorsement from that professor, while still being as specific and compelling as possible about why I am interested in this school. Of course, I am still wary about implying any kind of endorsement from this professor.

The alternative is to leave out both the name of the professor and his lab and only say that my interviewer "mentioned a researcher who does [X]," begging the question of "who is this mysterious researcher and why is this applicant being so cagey about their name?" This seems awkward to me, and worse.

What are your thoughts? Would it be worth reaching out to this prof beforehand just so I'm on his radar? I have plenty of time to reach out to him and try to establish a connection if that's a much better tack, although I can't predict how he'll respond, and I'd like to get this LOI in ASAP.
I don't think your language implies any endorsement; it just says you're interested in working with him, you could even add at the end of your second sentence "if possible working in Dr. [professor]'s lab."

That way it's even clearer.

I'd send it and mention your interest. It is a good reason for wanting to attend the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps something along the lines of "I've previously done research in X, and your institution has a strong research program for X."

No endorsement, no commitment, just a concrete example of why this school may be a good fit: your past experiences align with some of its current priorities.

Over the years I have seen research students chase specific professors because they are big names, and a few times I have seen that go seriously sideways. Usually because the professor is highly successful but also a grade-A jackass.

Reactions: 1 user