Name on publications/posters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sosin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had a question on how my name should appear on the pubs and posters I am working on. When I was an undergrad, they were under my full name. However, I go under a nickname that is nothing close to my full name, but it is what I would like to publish under.

My question is, what's the proper procedure for this? I was thinking of using:

First Initial. NickName LastName

But I don't know if that's correct. Has anyone else even been in this situation?

Is your nickname your middle name? If so, I think what you proposed makes sense. Other than that, I think most people use their legal names. For example, I have a friend with a very non-English given name that always goes by an "American name" that is unrelated to her real name. However, when she publishes, she uses her real name. Take my reply with a grain of salt, as I haven't been in this intuition myself, just observed others.

Dr. E

Is your nickname your middle name? If so, I think what you proposed makes sense. Other than that, I think most people use their legal names. For example, I have a friend with a very non-English given name that always goes by an "American name" that is unrelated to her real name. However, when she publishes, she uses her real name. Take my reply with a grain of salt, as I haven't been in this intuition myself, just observed others.

Dr. E

That would be my take as well, but like Dr. E, I've not personally been in that situation.