-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Name stampers
Started by tkim
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
B
Blade28
No - I've seen them before (elsewhere), and wondered if the reason we don't use them is because they don't "go through" on carbon copies?
Seen it elsewhere but not at any hospitals I've worked at.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe it's a legal issue in some states, NY included. No orders without your stamp.
yes, we all get name stampers at my program
I got one. I lost it a long time ago though . . ..
We've got 'em. Not useful for triplicate orders, but I try to remember to use it for paper notes. I don't actually think it's a time-saver to fish it out of my pocket and use it rather than just printing my name after my signature, but it seems a shame to waste a pointless gizmo. 🙄
I got one at the Elmhurst Hospital Center (Health and Hospitals Corporation, NYC), but not at Duke.
B
Blade28
Seems like it'd take longer than just quickly signing your name.
Then again, here, we have to also include our pager number and printed last name. Still quick though.
Then again, here, we have to also include our pager number and printed last name. Still quick though.
it helps the nurses figure out who wrote the order.
We were offered the chance to buy them. I declined. I find them clumsy and pretentious, and I know I would lose it within several days.
I sign, print my last name, and the last 4 of my SSN (don't ask, it's a military thing). That's all the info they need.
Soon I will get my medical license, and I will sign it with my last name in print. And that will be the end of this stupid "sign and stamp/print" thing.
I sign, print my last name, and the last 4 of my SSN (don't ask, it's a military thing). That's all the info they need.
Soon I will get my medical license, and I will sign it with my last name in print. And that will be the end of this stupid "sign and stamp/print" thing.
We were given them at orientation and most people use them. I don't think it's required because I see plenty of people of people signing followed by printing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We have them and are supposed to use them to stamp under our signature on notes and orders. I've stoped using mine because floor nurses and the pharmacy end up paging me days later about various patients I've admitted from the ED even though my inital orders state that all further orders are from the admitting service. I guess I could just cut my pager # off of my stamp. *shrug* It's honestly just easier to print my last name under my signature.
what is the worst is when the top comes off the stamper and it leaks all over your white coat pocket.
nerdy!
nerdy!
Seems like it'd take longer than just quickly signing your name.
Then again, here, we have to also include our pager number and printed last name. Still quick though.
The issue around here is legibility.
i gots me one.
i'm 50/50 on using it.
i'm 50/50 on using it.
I have to tell you - in the attending world, the health system I'm with REALLY pushes it - if your signature is unintelligible, you have to print your name or use a stamp (and it's enforced with brutal efficiency) - and, if you think residents are contrary and difficult, getting attendings to do things is like herding cats.
I think it's a pain in the A** to use one on the wards and what not, but the ones that fit in a pen cap are easier to keep track of. Of course, with the change to EMR, you don't need them as much. I use my 10 times daily now with all my army paperwork, but it just sits on my desk so it's no big deal. Of course I had to buy it myself. It's nice to know that any clown can walk into Staples and buy a stamp that says their a doctor.
Ed
Ed
I loved my stamp during residency (not in the US). We did a TON of paperwork and it saved a lot of time. A lot of residents kept it dangling off a carabiner hooked to a belt loop. One of my friends got so used to signing-then-stamping that he would sign non-hospital stuff (guest logs, FedEx packages...) then stamp it. LOL! 

We were given the pen stampers at orientation. The problem with those is that I don't like the pen it comes with, so it takes extra effort to fish the pen out of my pocket to use the stamp. I'd rather sign and then print my name or pager number.
In sum: nice idea, not really helpful.
In sum: nice idea, not really helpful.
I've seen it everywhere I've been in NY, and it seems pointless because you have to sign it as well. Not one resident enjoyed it, and one told me when she started, she couldn't wait to have her stamp, until about 3pm on her first day. The only thing I can think of is that it's somewhat of a verification, because people could very well forge a signature, but there is only one stamp issued. Not that I agree, I'm just trying to be logical.
BTW, some people said they have or dont have them, but didn't say where they are. I didn't see them in NJ, but I was in EDs with EMR. I'll be in Illinois next year, do you have the stamper as well out there?
BTW, some people said they have or dont have them, but didn't say where they are. I didn't see them in NJ, but I was in EDs with EMR. I'll be in Illinois next year, do you have the stamper as well out there?
Preferable to carrying one of these all the time:
The only thing I can think of is that it's somewhat of a verification, because people could very well forge a signature, but there is only one stamp issued.
You can have these stamps made anywhere, with any writing you want. No verification needed.
If somebody made a Pilot G-2 that converted to a stamp, I'd use that. But I can't stand the cheap ballpoint pens that come with the pen/stamp.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I lost my stamper pretty early, and the GME office told me it would cost $30 to get a new one through them, so I got this one for $12 shipped:
Works pretty good and no ink stains on my white coat. Not that I ever wear it, anyway. I'd rather not have to use it, but I run into trouble when I don't stamp my orders.
Works pretty good and no ink stains on my white coat. Not that I ever wear it, anyway. I'd rather not have to use it, but I run into trouble when I don't stamp my orders.
i dunno. . . looks complicated
I lost my stamper pretty early, and the GME office told me it would cost $30 to get a new one through them, so I got this one for $12 shipped:
![]()
![]()
Works pretty good and no ink stains on my white coat. Not that I ever wear it, anyway. I'd rather not have to use it, but I run into trouble when I don't stamp my orders.
i dunno. . . looks complicated
Man, I feel like a total nerd for doing this:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxmYok-5Tlc[/YOUTUBE]

I can't believe you took the time to do that!!
I can't believe you took the time to do that!!
It literally took me five minutes to do. The fact that I did makes me a big nerd.
lol
yeah, i think that qualifies as nerdy! but embrace your nerdiness. we're all nerds here. i mean, look at me, i'm in internal medicine
yeah, i think that qualifies as nerdy! but embrace your nerdiness. we're all nerds here. i mean, look at me, i'm in internal medicine
I'm sorry... That makes you a Geek.. not a Nerd. Please understand the difference.
Allow Wikipedia to explain this.
Here is the Geek test incase you are unsure of your Geek level.
The fact that I took the time to explain this pushes me up the Geek-O-Meter.
Allow Wikipedia to explain this.
The definition of geek has changed considerably over time, and there is no longer a definitive meaning. The terms nerd and dork have similar meanings as geek, but many choose to identify different connotations amongst the three terms, although the differences are disputed. In a 2007 interview on The Colbert Report, Richard Clarke said the difference between nerds and geeks is "geeks get it done".[3] Julie Smith defined a geek as "a bright young man turned inward, poorly socialized, who felt so little kinship with his own planet that he routinely traveled to the ones invented by his favorite authors, who thought of that secret, dreamy place his computer took him to as cyberspace -- somewhere exciting, a place more real than his own life, a land he could conquer, not a drab teenager's room in his parents' house".[4]
Here is the Geek test incase you are unsure of your Geek level.
The fact that I took the time to explain this pushes me up the Geek-O-Meter.

Well, I guess that would explain the Dungeons and Dragons phase.
"+2 Name stamper and anti-bounceback talisman"
Well, I guess that would explain the Dungeons and Dragons phase.
"+2 Name stamper and anti-bounceback talisman"
Wont do you any good vs a patient's order sheet with "permanent lunch grease enchantment and a continuous nurse fabrication spell".
Oh man.... I have found my medical rival online!! Too bad we aren't in the same residency, the dorky jokes would go on forever.
Here is the Geek test incase you are unsure of your Geek level.
The fact that I took the time to explain this pushes me up the Geek-O-Meter.![]()
Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone beat 38.86?
Ed
Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone beat 38.86?
Ed
I took this test like 6 months ago and managed 50% before they upgraded it even more. Now I am only 33.3%. Nice work. (I lose points on the Star Trek stuff, I am just not a fan.)
B
Blade28
Wow, tkim, nice video!
6.7% for me...I didn't know what half of the stuff they were asking about was.
B
Blade28
Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone beat 38.86?
Ed
36.49% - close! 😱
But I just like to think of myself as "well-rounded." 🙂
39.05% Woo Hoo! I win! Uh... wait a minute.🙁Sorry to hijack the thread, but can anyone beat 38.86?
Ed
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
4.6%, guess i'm not a geek. still a medicine nerd!
36.49% - close! 😱
But I just like to think of myself as "well-rounded." 🙂
Maaann... how in the world did you surpass me. You must be a hardcore Trekkie.
B
Blade28
Maaann... how in the world did you surpass me. You must be a hardcore Trekkie.
Actually, I've never seen a single episode/movie of Star Trek. I'm much more a fan of Star Wars.
But it was all the computer/programming/foreign languages/Mensa stuff that got me lots of points, I think.
which personality disorder describes trekkies? schizotypal?
B
Blade28
which personality disorder describes trekkies? schizotypal?
Yup, most likely.
Although the classic example is, what, the film projectionist at your local movie theater? 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 43
- Views
- 16K
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 7K