Name that drug

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nnguyenc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a.20-40mg three to four times daily, 30 minutes before meals

that's all the info I was given, can't figure it out

help a buddy out

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i would have never guessed famotidine

it was a question from our naplex review sessions

Jesus. People are already studying for that thing? Chill...it ain't that hard of a test...

Study for the MPJE. That thing is a bitch.

I am jealous of those at schools that do so much NAPLEX review. or MJPE review.

Regardless, that's cool that they bring you back at the end to go over stuff as well as getting to see everyone again. I can't believe it, but I miss a lot of my classmates!

possibly. But doing QD / BID is more common. Wouldn't a question put the more typical dosing as the hint?

It's definitely more common, but hyperacidic conditions can require more frequent dosing.

I think the 30 minutes prior to meals kind of hints at a hypoglycemic or antacid type drug.

The only thing that comes to an old mind is an old drug, Dicyclomine.

Adults-Oral

The only oral dose clearly shown to be effective is 160 mg per day (in 4 equally divided doses). Since this dose is associated with a significant incidence of side effects, it is prudent to begin with 80 mg per day (in 4 equally divided doses). Depending upon the patient's response during the first week of therapy, the dose should be increased to 160 mg per day unless side effects limit dosage escalation.
If efficacy is not achieved within 2 weeks or side effects require doses below 80 mg per day, the drug should be discontinued. Documented safety data are not available for doses above 80 mg daily for periods longer than 2 weeks.

Last edited:
I was all for reglan but the dose was too high.

Says who? We use 0.5 - 1 mg/kg IV q6h or 20 mg PO q4h fairly frequently. So, not necessarily too high for metoclopramide......

perhaps inderal, i've seen it used that way for hypertrophic subaortic stenosis

domperidone? I've seen 20mg qid ac (often on maternity ward), maybe it can go to 40mg? I think that's pushing it though.

It's definitely Bentyl (dicyclomine) for treating irritable bowel syndrome.

And Priapism - You use Reglan 1mg/kg q 6 hours 'fairly frequently' - I guess you have a lot of cancer patients, because in no way is that a normal dose for the average patient!

It's definitely Bentyl (dicyclomine) for treating irritable bowel syndrome.

And Priapism - You use Reglan 1mg/kg q 6 hours 'fairly frequently' - I guess you have a lot of cancer patients, because in no way is that a normal dose for the average patient!

Impossible! Pri doesn't see any cancer patients!