3-letter ‘Grayed’ out name/DOB/drug/sig errors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GP7777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The new system update a few weeks ago grays out patient name, DOB, drug name and strength, and the sig for some rxs if they match. Has anyone seen errors on this? They don’t explain how the gray out works, only that the computer has auto-selected the information without human interference. Is the computer program designed to match letter-for-letter and number-for-number? I’m almost positive I’ve seen non-matching grayed out names ie ‘Benedict Cumberbatch’ paired to ‘Benedict Calvinson’ where the computer selects it because that’s the only patient that shows up in the system. That would be unacceptable if so; they might as well gray out 8 (august) and match it to 10 (October)

I have seen that if it’s grayed out and you go in and change the DOB and re-verify, it will continue to be grayed out, so I would consider that the only non-error exception I’ve seen.

In terms of liability, if the gray-out isn’t 100% foolproof, I don’t want to casually skim over it and miss something stupid.

Members don't see this ad.