Names of the Ortho Big Dogs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
USCTex said:
That is an amazing resume.
Engineering undergrad at Princeton
PhD at MIT
MD at Harvard

Chair in the Med School
Professor in the Engineering School

Institute of Medicine

I actually met this guy, he gave a talk in our department--very interesting guy.

He has a chemical engineering undergrad, and his doctorate is in biomedical engineering.

TP

dawg44 said:
You gotta watch putting alot of emphasis on some of these "big name" guys. As they say, publish or perish and thats seems to be the quickest way to get a "big name". But there's no doubt some should just keep to publishing. Some of the worst surgeons I've ever seen during parts of my training are "big name" guys. I know other guys that aren't nearly as well known that can operate circles around them. Just food for thought.

I agree with you - that said, I am doing research @ HSS right now, and from what I can tell...some guys well published, others just a few papers, but outstanding surgeons, as the reputation goes

Robert Buly, MD - HSS; hips and some knees, developed arthroscopic femoral head/neck debridement for treatment of FAI - and a really nice guy too

Thomas Sculco, MD - chief of surgery @ HSS; joints

Russell Warren, MD - team MD for New York Giants; HSS

David Altchek, MD - chief of sports @ HSS

Brendan Patterson, MD - chair ortho @ Cleveland MetroHealth; general ortho

John Sontich, MD - MetroHealth

John Wilber, MD - MetroHealth

Members don't see this ad :)
William Maloney (Stanford Chair)
Joshua Jacobs (Chicago, president of ORS)
William H. Harris, MD; Harry Rubash, MD (Harvard)

These guys are all big names.

Dr. Jeff Eckardt - Ucla. ortho oncology

Mark Miller- Univ of Virginia - Author of the Miller Review

You mean editor (although he did write the sports medicine and coauthor the anatomy section). I helped update the adult reconstruction chapter for the new edition when I was doing a research year with that section's author.

Smart guy though, and a great book.

Joseph Benevenia: NJMS -UMDNJ, Orthopaedic Oncology
self proclaimed big dogg

I second the vote for Joe Benevenia.

Other great, "big dog" tumor surgeons:

Sybil Biermann, MD (University of Michigan)

John Healey, MD (HSS/Memorial Sloan-Kettering/Cornell)

Carol Morris, MD (HSS/Memorial Sloan-Kettering/Cornell)

Kim Templeton, MD (University of Kansas)

Kristy Weber, MD (Hopkins)

Folks, I can't believe no one mentioned Mary O'Connor, MD, the Department Chair at Mayo-Jacksonville. She developed most of the MIS THA and TKA techniques and she is also a tumor surgeon.

Foot/Ankle:

Sheldon Lin, MD (UMDNJ/NJMS)
Steve Sheskier, MD (NYU/HJD)
Naomi Shields, MD (Kansas)

Traumatologists:

Lisa Cannada, MD (Saint Louis University)

Mike McKee (Toronto/St. Michael's)

Ted Miclau III, MD (UCSF)

Bert Moed, MD (Saint Louis University)

Paul Tornetta III, MD (BU)

Joints/Adult Reconstruction:

Matthias Bostrom, MD (HSS)
Tom Einhorn, MD (Chair at BU -- monumental figure)
Bob Buly, MD (HSS)
Mary O'Connor, MD (Chair at Mayo-Jacksonville; see above)
Paul Pellici, MD (HSS)

Pediatric Orthopaedics:

Fran Farley, MD (U. of Michigan)
Chuck Mehlman, DO (U. of Cincinnati)
Susan Scherl, MD (U. of Nebraska)

Sports/Shoulder surgeons:

Jeff Abrams, MD (Princeton, NJ)
Julie Bishop, MD (Ohio State)
Struan Coleman, MD (HSS)
Jo Hannafin, MD/PhD (HSS) -- has a PhD, too: extremely impressive
Scott Rodeo, MD (HSS)
Tom Wickiewicz, MD (HSS)

These guys are all rock stars and there are many others. This is just to name a few.

Harold K. Dunn, M.D. - University of Utah - Adult Reconstructive; Weaver-Dunn Procedure; Shoulder/AC joint procedure. Also see Modified Weaver-Dunn Procedure.

Michael D. Daubs, M.D. - University of Utah - Spine; A major player in congenital defects of the spine (i.e. scoliosis, kyph, lordosis, and others)

Also, Don't forget that both Drs. Rosenburg & Vernon (Tiger Woods' Surgeons) are adjunct faculty at the UofU.

Let's just go ahead and change the name of this thread to "Ortho surgeons whose names I have heard".

Are there any big names is Michigan that deal with elbows? Preferrably in Western Michigan? I haven't heard of, nor seen any big names for Michigan yet. The elbows seems to be an area that many doctors do not deal with anymore. One doctor told me that he had only operated on 2 people and that was 15 years ago.

Reactions: 1 user
How does one become a big dog?

Sanders has a CT based classification of intra-articular calcaneal fractures named after him---in fact nowadays, everyone relies on this classification to plan treatment too!