Names of the Ortho Big Dogs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDAD

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can we start a list of NAME, LOCATION, and WHAT THEY ARE KNOWN FOR (ie. sports, trauma, oncology......what makes these guys so important) of the more influential orthopods. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Aaron Hofmann, M.D., Univ. Utah

I guess I'll start.

Dr. James Andrews - Alabama - Sports
Dr. Frank Jobe - Cali - Sprots - First to do tommy john
Dr. John Conway - Ft. Worth TX - Sports - Up and commer - Jobes prodigy

There are many more that I could like, but I wanted to know what others thought

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. James Nunley, MD
Chief of othro at Duke, Chair of Amer. Othro Assoc.

He is a super ankle and wrist doc.

JDAD said:
Can we start a list of NAME, LOCATION, and WHAT THEY ARE KNOWN FOR (ie. sports, trauma, oncology......what makes these guys so important) of the more influential orthopods. Thanks.

Charles Rockwood, MD - Univ Texas/San Antonio - Trauma

Paul Cooper, MD - Georgetown - Diabetic Reconstruction

Mark Myerson, MD - Baltimore - Foot/Ankle Reconstruction

hardy said:
Freddie Fu, MD - Pittsburgh - Sports, mostly knee and shoulder

Richard Steadman, Vail- Sports
Richard Hawkins, Vail- Sports
K. Donald Shelbourne, Indy- Knee
Chris Harner, Pitt
Frank Noyes, Cinn, OH. Sports
Kevin Schied, Indy, trauma (Indy Car stuff)
Robert LaPrade, Univ of Minn, knee/sports
Lewis A. Yocum, M.D. Kerlan-Jobe Clinic, Shoulder/elbow. Los Angeles

Rockwood isn't known for trauma.. he's known as basically being the father of shoulder surgeries.

undecided05 said:
Rockwood isn't known for trauma.. he's known as basically being the father of shoulder surgeries.

Hmmm. . . Rockwood is only the editor of the most concise textbook on "Fractures in Adults".

Sounds like trauma to me, furthermore I spent time at UT, he's known for trauma there too.

Russell Warren, MD - Sports, Hospital for Special Surgery

Richard Howard, DO - Hand and upper extremity SLU
J. Tracy Watson, MD - Trauma and Ilizarov ex-fix frames SLU
Berton Moed, MD - Trauma esp. acetabulum SLU

Art Boland and Thomas Gill, Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard

I think both sports medicine. I think Boland does only knees

The doc I used to work with that trained at ASMI with Jim Andrews said that the two best places to do your fellowship are ASMI(American sports medicine institure, Birmingham AL) and SCOI (southern california orthopaedic institute). His opinion at least.

Jim

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Paul Tornetta III - Boston University Medical Center (Trauma, OTA Chair)

David Bradford UCSF spine--Former CHAIR
Sigurd Berven UCSF spine--
serena Hu UCSF spine--CHAIR

John N. Delahay, M.D. - Georgetown University

Sam W. Wiesel, M.D. - Georgetown University

My classmates told me they are authors of the "the bible" in orthopedics..

Robert Cambell M.D. -- pediatric orthopedics - the guy for titanium ribs in children, San Antonio, TX.

Arthur J. Ting, M.D.

I don't know what this guys reputation is within the ortho community, but I hear his name all over the place. He's Barry Bonds' surgeon. He's the team doc for the San Jose sharks (Oakland raiders too, I think). Famous or infamous? i dunno.

endodoc said:
Dr. James Nunley, MD
Chief of othro at Duke, Chair of Amer. Othro Assoc.

He is a super ankle and wrist doc.

Let me second the vote for Dr James Nunley; he's an incredible doctor, and while he takes some warming up to, he's also an excellent teacher.
Also, he's one of the surgeons who was chosen for the study for the STAR ankle replacement-people have come from all over to see him for it.

dr. charles rockwood (jr) is the father of modern shoulder surgery (although he thinks arthroscopy is the tool of the devil); he does not perform trauma surgery and probably hasn't taken call in 20yrs. from what i understand dr. michael wirth is seen as something of a successor to dr. rockwood. he does use the scope, and is also well known regionally for placement of the delta prosthesis.

dr. david green in SA is the man in hand. residents rotate with him and he also has a fellowship.

dr. henry mankin at mass general, forerunner in ortho onc; no longer really seeing patients, but he is around in the clinics.

dr. jesse jupiter at mass general also the man in hand. teaches regularly at weekly hand conference.

Dr. Michael Ain: pediatric orthopaedics Johns Hopkins. The only orthopaedic surgeon in the world who also has achondroplasia.

Brian Cole - Sports- Rush University
Mark Miller- Univ of Virginia - Author of the Miller Review
Kenneth Koval- HSS - Fractures
Stephen O'Brien- HSS - Sports (The active compression test of O'Brien)

Richard Berger, Rush University in Chicago IL. Known for being the pioneer of the MIS THA.

Dr. Alvin Crawford, MD - Pediatrics Ortho at Cincinnati Children's
Dr. Pearlman, MD - Pediatric Ortho, Professor Emeritus, Cincinnati Children's
Dr. Kremchek - Sports - Cincinnati; Big on Tommy John surgery for MLB

ToxicFugu said:
Arthur J. Ting, M.D.

I don't know what this guys reputation is within the ortho community, but I hear his name all over the place. He's Barry Bonds' surgeon. He's the team doc for the San Jose sharks (Oakland raiders too, I think). Famous or infamous? i dunno.

not to mention that his sons play defensive back for the usc trojans

Dr. Ranawat, MD
Lennox Hill Hospital, NY
Total Knee

Dr. Burkhart, MD San Antonio TX

I got to go the the fall ANNA in Phoenix this December and he is THE MAN when it comes to the shoulder and especially using the scope. He can tie knots faster than I can think, and his mattress stitching is ******ed!!! If you know the shoulder than you know who this guy is. Oh yeah, he did nearly 2000 cases this past year, and I can't figure out how in the heck he does it. He must have three rooms running with a ton of staff and aneths. because even the really busy guys only have three days in the OR and two in clinic the math just doesn't make sense to me???? Even if not that much still impressive. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You gotta watch putting alot of emphasis on some of these "big name" guys. As they say, publish or perish and thats seems to be the quickest way to get a "big name". But there's no doubt some should just keep to publishing. Some of the worst surgeons I've ever seen during parts of my training are "big name" guys. I know other guys that aren't nearly as well known that can operate circles around them. Just food for thought.

As someone w/ a lifetime of knee problems due to a misplaced ACL graft w/ subsequent arthrofibrosis and a lot of ***** surgeons who didn't know what they were doing, I would recommend for any of you to go and see what

Dr. Shelbourne, KD in Indianapolis

does. And how he treats patients. His approach and understanding of rehabilitation and prehabilitation is light years ahead of most other docs I have seen. And I have seen a lot the "big names" in NYC, Boston and Philly.

Give his office a call and go shadow him and his PT staff for two weeks or so. It will benefit any of you interested in the knee. ACL's and Elmslie Trillats are his thing. Here is his website www.aclmd.com.

Ifellinapothole said:
As someone w/ a lifetime of knee problems due to a misplaced ACL graft w/ subsequent arthrofibrosis and a lot of ***** surgeons who didn't know what they were doing, I would recommend for any of you to go and see what

Dr. Shelbourne, KD in Indianapolis

does. And how he treats patients. His approach and understanding of rehabilitation and prehabilitation is light years ahead of most other docs I have seen. And I have seen a lot the "big names" in NYC, Boston and Philly.

Give his office a call and go shadow him and his PT staff for two weeks or so. It will benefit any of you interested in the knee. ACL's and Elmslie Trillats are his thing. Here is his website www.aclmd.com.

Donald Shelbourne is arguably the biggest name in ACL surgery in the world. It seems like half the articles in the last 20 years on ACL surgery have his name on them...

moquito_17 said:
Donald Shelbourne is arguably the biggest name in ACL surgery in the world. It seems like half the articles in the last 20 years on ACL surgery have his name on them...

My chief resident is going to be his fellow next year. We were able to meet him last year, he is very innovative. I don't know about his whole contralateral BPB for ACL reconstruction theory, but he has excellent results.

Bull's eye said:
My chief resident is going to be his fellow next year. We were able to meet him last year, he is very innovative. I don't know about his whole contralateral BPB for ACL reconstruction theory, but he has excellent results.

Another big name is Peter Stern, MD in Cinncinati for hand and microsurgery. With some luck, I'll get to do my fellowship there.

Bull's eye said:

I 'll tell you one thing about Dr. Shelbourne is that he takes his statistics very seriously and would not be using the contralateral BPB if the numbers weren't there to justify it. I know a lot of other doc look down on this, but they haven't done over 5000 ACL's in their career either.

My experience with him is he hates doing surgery and would prefer not doing it, but when he does have to operate he takes extreme care to prevent any unwanted complications when he does operate.

Also each patient is asked to fill out questionaires at various intervals: before surgery, post op month 1, 2, 6, 12 etc. etc. So he has excellent tracking and data collection.

James Amis MD
Cincinnati Foot and Ankle

Roy Sanders MD
Tampa Trauma/ Foot and Ankle

Tom DiPasquale DO
Tampa Trauma

dawg44 said:
James Amis MD
Cincinnati Foot and Ankle

Roy Sanders MD
Tampa Trauma/ Foot and Ankle

Tom DiPasquale DO
Tampa Trauma

Sanders is another guy who is in the 'world-class' category. His trauma fellowship is one the most sought-after in the world. Also, anyone heard of the Sanders classification....

I have never met him, but would really like to.

Matthew Dean Beal, MD
Chicago, IL

Hi there,
Probably the "biggest" dog around: Cato Laurencin, MD, Ph.D Chairman of Orthopedic Surgery at Univerity of Virginia. He's about 6'8'' and rules the hoops.

njbmd :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Probably the "biggest" dog around: Cato Laurencin, MD, Ph.D Chairman of Orthopedic Surgery at Univerity of Virginia. He's about 6'8'' and rules the hoops.

njbmd :)

That is an amazing resume.
Engineering undergrad at Princeton
PhD at MIT
MD at Harvard

Chair in the Med School
Professor in the Engineering School

Institute of Medicine

coachB said:
not to mention that his sons play defensive back for the usc trojans

haha...i played little league against his son...not the twins.

Oheneba Boachie-Adjei, Hospital for Special Surgery, Chief of Ortho Spine

Ha, I emailed Dr. Nunley the other day about observing a surgery. Of course he said he was too busy. Had I known he was such a big name, I probably wouldnt have made a fool of myself..lol(Im not even a doctor yet)

my dad, cuz he is the best

are there any DO 's in this group

DOindahouse said:
my dad, cuz he is the best

are there any DO 's in this group
Tommy DiPasquale is a DO.
He's done as many acetabulums as anyone in the country.

Speaking of acetab's. I'm here in Orlando. Our chair is Andrew Burgess a la the Young and Burgess classification for pelvic fx's. I'd say he's pretty stout.

psi1467 said:
Speaking of acetab's. I'm here in Orlando. Our chair is Andrew Burgess a la the Young and Burgess classification for pelvic fx's. I'd say he's pretty stout.

Ah ha, but the Young and Burgess classification is for pelvic frxs---not acetabular frxs. Those are classified by the Letournel and Judet system...

For the history buff:

Letournel E. Les fractures du cotyle, etude d'une serie de 75 cas. J Chir, 1961;82: 47-87.

Judet R, Judet J, Letournel E. Fractures of the acetabulum: classification and surgical approaches for open reduction. J Bone Joint Surg Am, 1964;46: 1615-46, 1675

Dr. Lawrence Dorr, Inglewood CA - Pioneer in super-fast recovery total joint replacement, as well as Arthritis research.

True enough mosquito. Just got to thinking about the pelvis due to its proximity to acetab. Hip bone connected to the knee bone kinda thinking I suppose. And it allowed me to drop his name out there.

Joint Volume = Rothman Institute, Philadelphia, PA

Greater than 3,000 joints per year

Richard Rothman, MD, PhD started in spine (ref. texts) now total joint surgeon. Developed Stryker's Accolade.

Javad Parvizi, MD, FRCS- Surgeon/Scientist ABC Fellow

Also, my advice would be to make note of who consistently 1. publishes and 2. publishes in JBJS and CORR more importantly.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Dror Paley and John Herzenberg, both world renowned for limb lenghtening. As well as Dr. Michael Mont for his expertise on AVN and TKA/THA.