Naming convention on MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LoLCareerGoals

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do we have to memorize rigorous rules for naming complex organic compounds?
I am talking highly branched/subbed multi functional group beasts. I am talking about rigorous IUPAC rules.
 
I think you should just know the basics of IUPAC, like all the prefixes and the common suffixes, like ketones,aldehydes, alcohols, but beyond that I'd say not really. Out of all the practice tests I've taken, the hardest structure I had to recall looked like was Lactic Acid (which was on a TBR CBT), and I was pretty surprised since questions like that were quite rare during my studies.