Naplex low pass rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sosoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
in the southeast, Mercer U pharmacy program is one of the top. and a 4.0 GPA won't guarantee u a seat in their class. i'm surprise they have a 79% pass rate. as such the idea that new pharmacy schools are accepting 2.0 GPA and these kids failing Naplex due to that reason is incoherent. u don't get accepted into Mercer U unless you're way at the top. there's no doubt Mercer churn out the best and brightest. / the problem is with the Naplex. and they are putting thousands of kids in huge debt!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe I am going to start my own prep book/company/app

Reactions: 1 users
in the southeast, Mercer U pharmacy program is one of the top. and a 4.0 GPA won't guarantee u a seat in their class. i'm surprise they have a 79% pass rate. as such the idea that new pharmacy schools are accepting 2.0 GPA and these kids failing Naplex due to that reason is incoherent. u don't get accepted into Mercer U unless you're way at the top. there's no doubt Mercer churn out the best and brightest. / the problem is with the Naplex. and they are putting thousands of kids in huge debt!
The problem is with the test? Its a MINIMUM competency test. The people who graduate from pharm school have the title of "Doctor", as in they should be an expert in their respective field. The title of doctor used to have meaning, however now-a-days any idiot who will sign off on 100k plus in loans can have this "prestige". I have no sympathy for those who do not pass, especially those who take the test multiple times. The fact that the MPJE scores are dropping as well is indicative that pharm schools are letting in terrible students. Mercer is also ranked in the lower rank of standings. I put zero weight in rankings, however it doesn't sound like each and every student there is "the best and brightest".

Members don't see this ad :)
They should make current pharmacists take this and strip their license if they can't pass it. It'll desaturate the current market lol

They should make current pharmacists take this and strip their license if they can't pass it. It'll desaturate the current market lol
sounds like the typical student who thinks they know more than people who have been doing the work for years - I was one of those once, for a very short time, until I found myself in the middle of a *** show situation 1 year out of school - then quickly saw the error of my ways

Reactions: 2 users
see my previous post - don't make excuses for not being able to pass a minimum competency exam - I am far from a grumpy old man (still in my 30's) - but statements such as this continue to play up the stereotype of the millennials being a group of entitled little whiners who want a participation trophy for everything in life.

Look at bar exam pass rates if you want to know what a real exam is like - then come back complaining you have it to hard.

SMDH!!!!

Naplex is pretty hard now (doing 2017 prep), the questions are nuts if you just want to work retail: req you to know by heart all dosage forms for all drugs, very old never used brand names on all drugs, exact dosages including qd/bid/etc, ALL obscure side effects and contraindictions (mind numbing for chemo), memorize with or without food for all and every drug and their different forms. Feels like memorizing 10k random facts. No more simple question like what the drug is for.

No more simple chemo = for cancer = may cause nausea, heh.

Undergrad GPA doesn't mean a damn thing... some universities are a glorified high school while others are as hard as some PhD programs. My school has pretty low stats for entering classes and is in the upper 90s on the new test.

see you in a few years, buddy :)

Undergrad GPA doesn't mean a damn thing... some universities are a glorified high school while others are as hard as some PhD programs. My school has pretty low stats for entering classes and is in the upper 90s on the new test.

To become a pharmacist, you don't have to be bright, or to have a high GPA. It's not like being a doctor, scientist or researcher. Back in the old days, it required only 4 years of undergrad and those with Bachelor's still can work as a pharmacist today. And like nursing, women got into this field more than men did.
Now even though it says Doctor of Pharmacy, it actually requires some science courses from community college and 3 years at a pharmacy school. It's not like other doctorate degrees that require 4 years of undergrad and many years of grad...
I've heard the test just changed and I hope schools can change their curriculum soon. So in general I don't think it's because of students or because of the test.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI everyone, the new test was implemented in November of 2016 and many students naturally chose to take the old exam so the stats offer very little insight into the new test.

To become a pharmacist, you don't have to be bright, or to have a high GPA. It's not like being a doctor, scientist or researcher. Back in the old days, it required 4 years of undergrad and those with Bachelor's still can work as a pharmacist today.

You are completely clueless about what it takes to become a pharmacist. Most pharmacists DO have 4 years undergrad, in addition to the 4 years of pharmacy school (plus increasingly 1 - 2 years internship. At *minimum* a pharmacist must have 2 years undergrad and 4 years pharmacy school. You need to do some more research, "pre-pharmacy", if you ever have any hope of actually being a pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad :)
To become a pharmacist, you don't have to be bright, or to have a high GPA. It's not like being a doctor, scientist or researcher.

As for being bright, here is a list of occupations by IQ...you might note that in the list of 200, pharmacists are #11 (beating out physicist, nuclear engineer, aerospace engineer, and veterinarians.) Yes, one does have to be bright to be a pharmacist, the curriculum (and the job) is not a walk in the park.

http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2011/01/average-iq-by-occupation-estimated-from.html

To become a pharmacist, you don't have to be bright, or to have a high GPA. It's not like being a doctor, scientist or researcher. Back in the old days, it required only 4 years of undergrad and those with Bachelor's still can work as a pharmacist today. And like nursing, women got into this field more than men did.
Now even though it says Doctor of Pharmacy, it actually requires some science courses from community college and 3 years at a pharmacy school. It's not like other doctorate degrees that require 4 years of undergrad and many years of grad...
I've heard the test just changed and I hope schools can change their curriculum soon. So in general I don't think it's because of students or because of the test.

You don't have to be a genius to memorize a phone book which is pretty much what the first 2 years of medical school is like. You do realize at a lot of schools pharmacy/medical/dental students are in the same classes and take the same tests anyways.

I'm a current first year and I'm glad that the Naplex became harder. It should be hard. You are in a doctoral program, why would you expect the board exam to be a cakewalk. I don't understand why people are freaking out. If you put in the hard work and understand the material, you should be able to crack it. Step I, II and clinical exam for med students are hard. Not everyone passes in the first attempt. So should this one be. I also hope that this is a right step towards curbing the saturation problem.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

This definitely won't help saturation problem. It is a stupid method if that's one of the purposes of the test IMO. The only thing can help is that pre-pharmers should be informed about the saturation and stop going to pharmacy schools.
Asking pharmacy schools to close or to stop expanding is impossible. People do whatever they want as long as it's legal.
I don't blame the schools but the un-informed students for the saturation problem.

What are you implying with linking more women as pharmacists and not having to be bright?

What are you implying with linking more women as pharmacists and not having to be bright?
I mean pharmacy is kind of like nursing. It's not hard to study and graduate. Women can spend time for family while attending school. I'm a woman, having 2 toddlers and will attend pharmacy school. I don't think I will sacrifice all my time for pharmacy school only but can split my time for both.
I think if I go to medical school, I won't have time for my family.
History shows more women have worked as nurses and pharmacists than men have; more men have worked as doctors or engineers than women have?

Again, I think to become a pharmacist, I don't need to be bright; being average is enough.
(I don't know about med school, and don't know if you must be bright to become a doctor or not. But I do know to work as some kind of engineers, you must be bright.)

I'm trying not to be sexist but sometimes I just can't do it esp. when saying and mixing stuff. Like to be a president of the US, it looks like you have to be a man, but you don't have to be bright? :)

I mean pharmacy is kind of like nursing. It's not hard to study and graduate. Women can spend time for family while attending school. I'm a woman, having 2 toddlers and will attend pharmacy school. I don't think I will sacrifice all my time for pharmacy school only but can split my time for both.
History shows more women have worked as nurses and pharmacists than men have; more men have worked as doctors than women have?

Again, I think to become a pharmacist, I don't need to be bright; being average is enough.
(I don't know about med school, and don't know if you must be bright to become a doctor or not.)

If you honestly think that you wont have to sacrifice all of your time for pharmacy school and that you wont need to be bright to become a pharmacist, you're kidding yourself and you're insulting both your future profession and your potential future contemporaries.

Pharmacy is not easy like nursing; nursing isn't even easy and that requires a great deal of hard work. In medicine, it is not enough to be average. Peoples lives depend on our actions and if you will settle for just average, then you will never be a good healthcare provider. It is not enough to just know the barebones minimum of straight memorization of medications because: 1. You will never ever know everything there is to know about every single drug because there are so many of them. 2. Pharmacy is not a straight facts profession, it involves a great deal of conceptual understanding as to why what works as it does. Even if you're working at a retail site, you will need to know what are appropriate dose ranges for common medications and you are the last line of defense when a patient comes into the store with a script for 50mg PO BID Metoprolol Succinate. 3. The world of medicine is constantly changing and if you fail to stay up to date on the changes being made, then you will not be able to provide optimal care.

Can women spend time with family while attending school or raise children while attending pharmacy school? Yes they can. I have classmates who do just that and they are doing just fine. But I also know how hard they all work and not only do they work incredibly hard to do well in school, but they bust their ass harder than many people in my class and are involved in numerous organizations. Many times they do have to sacrifice family for school, but that's because graduating is their priority and they know that that is what's best for their families. Pharmacy school is a major commitment. If you have any aspirations for anything other than retail pharmacy you will need to make sacrifices to get there. You will need to go above and beyond in school and that will mean sacrifices made.

Pharmacy school is not a cakewalk and you are deluding yourself if you think that you will be able to juggle raising 2 toddlers and being "just average" in pharmacy school. I'm not telling you this to be a jerk, but rather because I honestly think that you are setting yourself up for major failure if you think that pharmacy school is anything but an undertaking. For pete's sake, you're earning a doctoral degree in medicine. Take your future profession more seriously.

Reactions: 7 users
To avoid mistake, I have to work hard and be extremely careful, not have to be bright.
I hope I won't sacrifice ALL my time for school only. But if I have to, it's bc I'm just an average student so I have to study harder than others.
I do see average students becoming pharmacists.
When you work, of course you focus all your energy on work to avoid mistakes. But you don't have to be bright to invent any idea or find out something striking while working. That's how I define "bright."
I'm not saying pharmacists are not bright. When getting into schools is competitive, most students who get in are bright. But getting in pharm schools has not been always competitive in history. And that is ok IMO. I hope after schools and students know to deal with the test, pass rate will increase or 99% of students will pass after 5th attempt.

You don't have to be a genius to memorize a phone book which is pretty much what the first 2 years of medical school is like. You do realize at a lot of schools pharmacy/medical/dental students are in the same classes and take the same tests anyways.
You do need to be a genius to memorize a phone book.

you my friend are delusional about what it takes to be successful.
That is why I'm trying to get in to see it clearly. (Of course it's not my main reason.)
Experience is darn expensive.

To avoid mistake, I have to work hard and be extremely careful, not have to be bright.
I hope I won't sacrifice ALL my time for school only. But if I have to, it's bc I'm just an average student so I have to study harder than others.
I do see average students becoming pharmacists.
When you work, of course you focus all your energy on work to avoid mistakes. But you don't have to be bright to invent any idea or find out something striking while working. That's how I define "bright."
I'm not saying pharmacists are not bright. When getting into schools is competitive, most students who get in are bright. But getting in pharm schools has not been always competitive in history. And that is ok IMO.

How do you define "bright"? If you're going to be a pharmacist, you have to respect yourself and think more highly about the profession. Otherwise you're doing a disservice to yourself and to the profession. I never thought of myself on the same level as a neurosurgeon, but the way you perceive pharmacist is like second rate citizen. If you don't respect yourself and your profession, your pts won't show you any respect. In other words, Heck ya I am bright... If you think so little about yourself and the profession, don't go into pharmacy. In the competitive world of pharmacy, "average" RPh don't make it

How do you define "bright"? If you're going to be a pharmacist, you have to respect yourself and think more highly about the profession. Otherwise you're doing a disservice to yourself and to the profession. I never thought of myself on the same level as a neurosurgeon, but the way you perceive pharmacist is like second rate citizen. If you don't respect yourself and your profession, your pts won't show you any respect. In other words, Heck ya I am bright... If you think so little about yourself and the profession, don't go into pharmacy. In the competitive world of pharmacy, "average" RPh don't make it

I don't disrespect the profession. But I see a lot of pharmacists in this forum look down on the students who got accepted with lower GPA or PCAT score than they had. And in fact, those can become pharmacists too, believe it or not?
Did I say something incorrect? If so, just let me know and I'll correct myself.

IMO, bright student is someone who has very high GPA in undergrad school AND can do other things: solve problems that most classmates can't ... Bright worker: someone invents something at their work, discovers something significant, solve problems that some of their colleagues can't...

I don't disrespect the profession. But I see a lot of pharmacists in this forum look down on the students who got accepted with lower GPA or PCAT score than they had. And in fact, those can become pharmacists too, believe it or not?
Did I say something incorrect? If so, just let me know and I'll correct myself.

IMO, bright student is someone who has very high GPA in undergrad school AND can do other things: solve problems that most classmates can't ... Bright worker: someone invents something at their work, discovers something significant, solve problems that some of their colleagues can't...

Right off the bat, I can tell you that your definition of "bright" is unconventional. An inventor and someone who discovers significant new things is a "genius" in most peoples' POV.

Anyhow, I will respond to your complaint that people look down on students who get into pharmacy with lower GPA/PCAT scores. There will always be haters and people who voice negative opinions in life. Who cares?

I will add that that you will rub people the wrong way if you continue to say pharmacists don't have to be bright and average. There are people who are proud to be an RPh. There are doctors and other health care professionals who look to pharmacists to manage chronic diseases, pharmacokinetics, amb care, write monographs, catch fatal DDI. I strongly believe that an "average" person can't do that.

Anyhow, I really don't care. Just your attitude will offend people.

My bad!
I admire all the pharmacists I worked with except for one. I thought to myself if she's a pharmacist, I can too. Then I asked her if I should go for it when I have kids to spend lots of time with and she said no problem.
I don't disrespect her or anything. It's just...
I know my attitude offends people but sometimes I just want to offend people who offend students like me first and I'm just trying to tell all the truth. :)

I guess your program isn't really that good then. Your logic doesn't make sense because it doesn't explain how the larger programs like UF, Rutgers, PCOM, and the California schools are able to consistently maintain 90%+ even with a large class size and the newer NAPLEX. It's because these programs are effective at teaching their students...maybe Mercer accepts 4.0 students from high school but does a poor job of teaching them pharmacy stuff.

Last edited:

I can confidently say, as a Mercer graduate, that there is not a sentence in this paragraph that is true. Well, maybe the second sentence.

If the couple of active threads on SDN about NAPLEX pass rates are any indicator: schools seeing significant drops in pass rates appear to have ticked off their alumni.

Actually I enjoy bashing my program. I'm fine with bad students struggling and failing, just like I'm fine with new, and especially lazy, pharmacists struggling and failing. They are bad and should feel bad especially when it comes to impacting patient care. Ok, that may be virtue signaling.

Ideally ACPE will start cracking down on the program itself but I'm not hopeful on that end

I would think that pass rates that low would be something that could not be ignored...it would be too egregious. I did a quick count and found the following: Programs with pass rates in the 50's = 2, in the 60's = 4, in the 70's = 21, and in the 80's up to 84.99 = 22. That is a total of 49 programs across the country that should, after having 2 years to improve their scores, lose their accreditation. If the average program has 85 students (some a lot more, some less) that is over 4,000 students that won't be enrolled, and thus graduating down the road, from subpar programs.

I would think that pass rates that low would be something that could not be ignored...it would be too egregious. I did a quick count and found the following: Programs with pass rates in the 50's = 2, in the 60's = 4, in the 70's = 21, and in the 80's up to 84.99 = 22. That is a total of 49 programs across the country that should, after having 2 years to improve their scores, lose their accreditation. If the average program has 85 students (some a lot more, some less) that is over 4,000 students that won't be enrolled, and thus graduating down the road, from subpar programs.
What made you choose the 85% cut-off? Why not 90%?
Same for the 2 year time frame to improve?

If a school only has 2 years to improve, the students that will be taking the test during those two years are currently P3 and P4s. They would have nearly no time to improve the curriculum for those students before they take the NAPLEX.

I really like the concept, but the details might need some tweaking.

I gave it about five minutes thought really, busy at work, so I would not use my information as even a starting point, just a random number crunch to see what the average impact would be. Defin would need to have more thought given to the details. Just speculating really.

History shows more women have worked as nurses and pharmacists than men have; more men have worked as doctors or engineers than women have?

Again, you are completely clueless about what it takes to be a pharmacist. And historically, FAR more men have worked as pharmacists, then women. It was only in the late 80's/early 90's that female enrollment started to equal male enrollment in pharmacy schools (females being attracted to it because of the availability of high-paying part-time work.)

Pharmacy school will require hours of study and work each day. Unless you have a partner who can do the majority of the childcare when you are at home, I would say it would be extraordinarily difficult to go to pharmacy school with 2 toddlers. Bear in mind that pharmacy school is NOT just memorization, you will have papers to write, you will have lab reports to write, you will have to meet with other students for group projects, you will have to to do oral presentations. And the amount of memorization required is FAR more than in nursing school. There is a reason why some say pharmacists are overeducated for their actual job (I disagree that with that sentiment, but that sentiment is based on the difficulty of the work required to become a pharmacist, compared with the public's perception of what a pharmacist actually does.) I suspect *you* are basing what you think pharmacist school will entail, based on what *you* think a pharmacist actually does--and you will be in for a very rude awakening.

Actually many of them aren't. Every other day it seems like there is a post by someone who has failed out of pharmacy school and desperate to get back in. The student board is filled with stories of people failing the NAPLEX. Schools are more than happy to take the money of subpar students, but that is no guarantee those students will ever actually be pharmacists (and many aren't.) This was unheard of 20 years ago.

My bad!
I admire all the pharmacists I worked with except for one. I thought to myself if she's a pharmacist, I can too. Then I asked her if I should go for it when I have kids to spend lots of time with and she said no problem.

I'm thinking one of 2 things...1) she realizes you don't like her, so she is passive-aggressively setting you for failure by telling you that is wouldn't be a problem going to pharmacy school with young children. or 2) she is an anti-social genius who did find pharmacy school easy and can't comprehend that anyone else would find it difficult.

Remember, there are incredibly book-smart people who have difficulty working in the real world, there difficulty in working in the real world shouldn't be taken to mean that it's easy to get the education required to get their job.

There is no way pharmacists beat out those professions. No way! Per the blog, "It's not supposed to be an exact measure of IQ by profession by any means, as it is based entirely on average annual income figures. In other words, it's an income table with the values converted to IQ scores..."
So no, they didn't evaluate the professions based on IQ. So misleading.

Well, if the President of the US doesn't even know how to read, then I don't know why any of us should be expected to have a good reading comprehension.

I can confidently say, as a Mercer graduate, that there is not a sentence in this paragraph that is true. Well, maybe the second sentence.

Lol. my bad. i was still thinking of Mercer from 10 years ago. i didn't realize they went downhill since then.

You are completely clueless about what it takes to become a pharmacist. Most pharmacists DO have 4 years undergrad, in addition to the 4 years of pharmacy school (plus increasingly 1 - 2 years internship. At *minimum* a pharmacist must have 2 years undergrad and 4 years pharmacy school. You need to do some more research, "pre-pharmacy", if you ever have any hope of actually being a pharmacist.

Clueless "pre-pharm"? Don't try to offend me unless you have correct facts to say!
Tried to ignore you...
You don't even know the minimum # of years to become a pharmacist!
How about YOU need to do more research?

As for being bright, here is a list of occupations by IQ...you might note that in the list of 200, pharmacists are #11 (beating out physicist, nuclear engineer, aerospace engineer, and veterinarians.) Yes, one does have to be bright to be a pharmacist, the curriculum (and the job) is not a walk in the park.

http://anepigone.blogspot.com/2011/01/average-iq-by-occupation-estimated-from.html

That is questionable. First off, it's "IQ based off of median income." Which is nonsense. Second, it has surgeons as having IQs over 200. Which is laughable because there are probably only a handful of people on the planet at that level assuming the measure is using the typical standard deviation of 15. If you have an IQ over 200 and you are a surgeon, you are a failure at life. You need to be a philosopher...or a theoretical physicist...or cryptologist. I mean...you are basically Stephen Hawking or Elon Musk.

I'm thinking one of 2 things...1) she realizes you don't like her, so she is passive-aggressively setting you for failure by telling you that is wouldn't be a problem going to pharmacy school with young children.

We like each other. We're alike; we come from the same country, in fact from the same town. (I was very happy to meet her.) She's the only co-worker whom I invited to my home and we still keep in touch after I quit my job.

Clueless "pre-pharm"? Don't try to offend me unless you have correct facts to say!
Tried to ignore you...
what do you think the minimum years it takes to become a pharmacist?

Tried to ignore you...

Just because you are offended doesn't make it untrue.

Just because you are offended doesn't make it untrue. And why do asians always take pictures of their food? Hell you even make it your profile pic
southerns take pictures of their BBQ - we all have our odities

Just because you are offended doesn't make it untrue. And why do asians always take pictures of their food? Hell you even make it your profile pic

I don't even know. I just eat the food. Never taken a food pic in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

what do you think the minimum years it takes to become a pharmacist?
I came to the US in 2004. My relatives suggested me to go for nursing or pharmacy. I don't like nursing because I don't like to work in a hospital. I have a feeling of sadness whenever I step in any hospital. They said with pharmacy I can work outside of hospital. The closest pharmacy school to my home is University of Pacific in Stockton, CA. I talked to them about the admission and they said they only accept students right out of high school, NEVER BEEN in college. I was shocked !!! How can a high schooler know right away that they will like to be a pharmacist??? I thought all students should go to some college first before they decide what career they will go for it.
But yes, UOP only accept high school students. They have 5 year pharmacy program: 2 years of pre-pharm and 3 years of pharmacy. Back in those days, pharmacy was hot. They only accept transfer to the 3 years of pharmacy when someone drops out from 2 year prepharm class. That's what they told me. I have a friend whose kid graduated from this school as a pharmacist at the age of 23!!!
Their current tuition is huge: $70,000/year.
When I realized their tuition is so expensive, I never looked back their website one more time.
I went to a community college to study medical assistance, free tuition, for 2 years then got out and couldn't find a job during recession. I took PTCB, without attending any pharm tech class. I got state license and worked as a pharm tech. $12/hr so I quit and took 2 years of chemistry and other courses for pharmacy requirements. I got in a 3-year pharmacy program, will start in Aug this year and if I can handle the program, I will graduate in 2020. If not, I'll go back to work as a pharm tech.
P.S: I'm aware of the saturation and a tough job market. I don't think much of it but just aim for a short term goal: pass all the tests at school. I just want to finish off the dream I had 13 years ago: get a pharm degree.

I still think I could pass it without studying (been out 20 years). Just don't want to shell out the dough to take it

I'm not sure if I understand much your first sentence. But if I understand it correctly, I agree.
Hahaha that's not untrue either. I don't know why. I am an Asian. I don't take pictures of my food.
This is the picture I got from a food article of Wall Street Journal. It talked about this special food of my hometown. I thought it's the best picture that I've ever seen about this food so I keep it and want to share it too.
It is my Facebook profile picture but when I sign in this forum with my Facebook account, the picture goes on my profile of this forum too. And I don't care to change.
Btw, look up "Vietnamese dim sum wall street journal", you'll see the article but to read full article, I think you'll have to subscribe. But if you just want to see the picture only, search the phrase on Google Image tab.

But yes, UOP only accept high school students. They have 5 year pharmacy program: 2 years of pre-pharm and 3 years of pharmacy. Back in those days, pharmacy was hot. They only accept transfer to the 3 years of pharmacy when someone drops out from 2 year prepharm class. That's what they told me. I have a friend whose kid graduated from this school as a pharmacist at the age of 23!!!

UoP is 50/50 as far as their mix of "pre-pharm" auto-matriculants and "transfers." It's not like 0-6 programs where it's like 95/5.