Naplex Score Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Jay 23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Its about that time to register for the NAPLEX! Does anyone have any input about the importance of score transfer to different states? I have a few states in mind that I'd like to score transfer to, but its turning out to be more expensive than I anticipated. Can anyone tell me the real benefit to transferring scores and how difficult it would really be to just worry about licensing for a particular state if/when I actually move there?
Any advice would be awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

If you plan to move to another state, one without reciprocity (looking at you Cali)... Yes - do score transfer. However, if you plan to stay in your current state for at least a few years, score transfer is not necessary.

Score transfer is pivotal if you will be doing residency. It allows you to move your Naplex around to several states without retaking it or waiting the required amount of time for reciprocity (usually multiple years).

The major caveat is timing. You must have an idea of where your residency will be, as your score transfer must be designated prior to sitting the Naplex.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you plan to move to another state, one without reciprocity (looking at you Cali)... Yes - do score transfer. However, if you plan to stay in your current state for at least a few years, score transfer is not necessary.

Score transfer is pivotal if you will be doing residency. It allows you to move your Naplex around to several states without retaking it or waiting the required amount of time for reciprocity (usually multiple years).

The major caveat is timing. You must have an idea of where your residency will be, as your score transfer must be designated prior to sitting the Naplex.

It would probably be a couple of years before I move. I'd hate to waste time and money transferring now if it would mean nothing in a two or three years.

It would probably be a couple of years before I move. I'd hate to waste time and money transferring now if it would mean nothing in a two or three years.

Do score transfer only if you plan on moving out of state within the year that you took the naplex.

For me, I did score transfer to one other state... thank god that I did. It was sooo saturated in my area and I did not want to move 6 hours away from home in NYC just to work at place that wouldnt pay me enough for a position I didnt want. After waiting for 2-3 months after successing passing the naplex and not finding a position in my desired area. Since I was able to do score transfer, I am in a metro city area that was out of state, but I am in a highly desirable, and though I did move away from family. I am at least very happy to be in the city, making new friends and starting a new adventure (which was a better option than moving to upstate NY; near Canada in the middle of nowhere).

I know that the score transfer is good for a year, but when does the clock start? Is it from the day that you took the exam or from the day that you transferred the score? Let's say I took the exam in June, but didn't do the score transfer until Sept (90 days window), will the score last until Sept of the following year?