Narrowing down postbacc choices to realistic options...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anergy

Reaction score
Is my best option talking with admissions at the respective schools of interest and just flat out asking if I'm competitive for a post bacc spot?
Should I wait for a higher MCAT score from January before applying to these programs?
Most importantly, should I expect to ever be accepted to a postbacc?

History:
Low GPA from undergrad (2.5) and a biochem degree + published physical chem research. (2006)
Unsuccessful attempts to return to academics until 2013 (major reds flags)

3.75 GPA since 2015 to present over ~80 credit hours taking only science/med/math related course including a 21 credit hour semester and now sponsored by my school's premed committee.
6 years of clinical experience to present + adequate volunteering and shadowing.

My state med school said they want me in a structured postbacc to remove doubt from previous academic dysfunction.

My MCAT was 501, but my recent AAMC practice tests have me over 510 and I am going to continue to study until my next test in January.

I am leaning toward D.O. postbacc programs with the hope of being stronger candidate for their medical programs as a back up.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are tons of post bacs out there. The thing you want to keep in mind is what they offer. Could you get into any post bac with your current stats? Yes. Could you get into one that has linkage with a medical school? I think so. Do some research and see what each program offers. Focus on killing the MCAT and everything else will fall into place. Good luck OP.

Thank you for the reply and encouragement. I started emailing admissions departments shortly after posting. I'm currently weeding out the ones with hard capped minimum gpa requirements.