Narrowing Down Private School Choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i'm comparing and contrasting the advantages and disadvantages of the following schools and their locations any help is appreciated. :)

These guys totally don't care if your out of state and want to go back to you home state to practice right? Or would they rather hear that you want to practice in their state?

Boston Univ -- Boston Mass
Tufts Univ -- Boston Mass
Case Western -- Cleveland Ohio
Univ of Pitt -- Pittsburg Penn

My GPA is 3.8, and i've yet to take the DAT. If possible i would like to pick 3 of the above to add to VCU and MCG which i'm applying to for sure.

Residency is in GA, undergraduate school was in VA.

Members don't see this ad.

DrTacoElf said:
Hey guys i'm comparing and contrasting the advantages and disadvantages of the following schools and their locations any help is appreciated. :)

These guys totally don't care if your out of state and want to go back to you home state to practice right? Or would they rather hear that you want to practice in their state?

Boston Univ -- Boston Mass
Tufts Univ -- Boston Mass
Case Western -- Cleveland Ohio
Univ of Pitt -- Pittsburg Penn

My GPA is 3.8, and i've yet to take the DAT. If possible i would like to pick 3 of the above to add to VCU and MCG which i'm applying to for sure.

Residency is in GA, undergraduate school was in VA.

hmmm.. BU is a great school and I am pretty sure you'll get in (if your DAT is dencent), Tufts is also a great choice! They are both pricey, but offers very nice facilities (very high tech >>BU).

You should apply for the school in GA (UGA)! It will definately be the cheapest choice!!

Good luck :luck:

With your GPA, why would you only look at private schools?

Members don't see this ad :)

Why only those 4?

Well out of those 4, Tufts is a MUST!! Sure its expensive and only a bit less expensive than BU, but you really get bang for your buck there. I would be weary about BU.....sure it has top notch facilities, but its patient pool is not as good as Tufts, the APEX program has gotten bad reviews on this board, and its damn expensive. If you are only gonna limit yourself to 3/4, then why choose two schools in Boston......choose Tufts for your Boston school.

So If I were to pick 3/4, I would go for Tufts, Case, Pitts......youll get accepted to all of those, and you can choose from 3 schools in 3 different cities.

I agree with Avin. Also, what about U Penn? With your GPA you have a good shot, assuming that you do well on the DAT, 20+.

P.S. you only need one thread about all this stuff. Just a tip so you don't piss off other SDNers

DrTacoElf,

first off, i appreciate your name. second, if you are interested in private schools and their respective areas i would suggest applying to Columbia and NYU both of which are in Manhattan.

i do not think that these schools make any requirements on your prospective practice location.

If I had super GPA and DAT scores... It would be either Columbia or UCSF (tough choice If I had to choose one).

So DrTacoElf, don't worry about which school at this stage, try to do well on your DAT.

It also depends on whether you want to do after graduation:
some school has a higher percentage to go into specialty.
some sch has a better reputation training GP.