Nasacort approved for OTC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
LINK

Not sure how we missed this one, its from July 31st. And what a coincidence, just months after it went generic.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This will be a great recommendation for our htn patients who need something for congestion. I had heard at one point the company who makes brand Flonase was trying to get OTC status. I don't know what happened. The issue will be the cost. If it is no more than $20, it will do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
About as odd as OTC Oxytrol.

I don't like this OTC availability of nasal steroids. People won't read the labels about possible long term fx.
I would always groan when GP's would be overly aggressive with these nasal inhalers and never taper from the initial 2 week regimen. I worried we would see an epidemic of glaucoma down the road. Here is a chart showing the expected incidence to increase faster than pop growth.

glaucoma-chart.jpg

It probably won't be available until next year for purchase, anyway.

I'm glad I just got my generic Nasacort filled a few days ago! I bet that gets taken off the formularies faster than Usain Bolt.
Yeah, all the fexofenadine went to "not covered" within days after Allegra hit the OTC sheves, so I'd imagine it won't take long.

Any idea why so many plans still cover omeprazole though? Caps vs. tabs cannot be the reason.

...Any idea why so many plans still cover omeprazole though? Caps vs. tabs cannot be the reason.

I'd guess their negotiated prices are dirt cheap and it gives them the excuse to not cover any of the pricier generics.

Also, there are OTC capsules, so it's definitely not that.

Price is about $11 for a 60 spray bottle and about $18 for a 120 spray The prices are competitive.