NASS ISMM fellowship app question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bandwagon1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since NASS just started their 1st match process last cycle I was wondering if there is anyone on this board that has applied and matched last cycle. Just have a few questions about the app process. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump.
Anyone out there gone through this process?

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, currently waiting on my letters of rec. Hoping to submit next week. Are you dual applying for acgme pain? I’m applying to both, would honestly rather do a NASS fellowship but im applying to both to increase my odds of matching. No idea how competitive I am, but I’m basically interventional pain or bust. Whatever it takes

Yep, currently waiting on my letters of rec. Hoping to submit next week. Are you dual applying for acgme pain? I’m applying to both, would honestly rather do a NASS fellowship but im applying to both to increase my odds of matching. No idea how competitive I am, but I’m basically interventional pain or bust. Whatever it takes

Im just applying NASS. But i dont know the competitiveness of it as well.
From the NASS PDF (https://www.spine.org/Portals/0/assets/downloads/Education/Match-Opportunities.pdf) it says that registration opens in January, but doesnt really say where to register. Is it just creating a profile on spine.org?

I went through the process last year and would recommend applying broadly as there didn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason in terms of getting interviews. Seemed pretty random. Also in many cases I would get late interviews but then after interviewing felt like it was just a courtesy interview and the program already knew who they wanted. I also dual applied to acgme pain and got WAY less interviews (and ultimately didn't match) so if you are worried about matching NASS I wouldn't even waste money on the acgme match.

I went through the process last year and would recommend applying broadly as there didn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason in terms of getting interviews. Seemed pretty random. Also in many cases I would get late interviews but then after interviewing felt like it was just a courtesy interview and the program already knew who they wanted. I also dual applied to acgme pain and got WAY less interviews (and ultimately didn't match) so if you are worried about matching NASS I wouldn't even waste money on the acgme match.
Did you end up matching with a Nass program? No idea if I’ll match acgme, but I’m at least applying because I could potentially scramble into an open spot. Like I said, I’d prefer a spot with Nass but with covid and zoom interviews, I’m worried about matching in to anything. Fingers crossed

Has anyone applied to non-Nass programs? (Moss, University of Kansas)? Do you apply to them now or after the NASS match?

Unfortunately not that I am aware of. Off the top of my head I know there are non NASS programs with Michigan, Michigan State, Kansas, UCLA, and USC
I think Swedish (Seattle, WA), and Moss Rehab (Philadelphia, PA) also have them.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you applying for the NASS apps now, are you guys also going to send them a photograph of yourself?

For those of you applying for the NASS apps now, are you guys also going to send them a photograph of yourself?
I wasn’t planning on it but it’s not a bad idea, as long as you don’t look goofy.

Nass application supposedly opened today. Anyone submitting? I didn’t see anything online as far as registering. Looks like it’s just a pdf app we have to send to every program. Not exactly super organized. Am I missing something?

Did anyone apply to UPenn? The email address listed on NASS keeps bouncing back. Was wondering if it's happening to anyone else also.

Nass application supposedly opened today. Anyone submitting? I didn’t see anything online as far as registering. Looks like it’s just a pdf app we have to send to every program. Not exactly super organized. Am I missing something?
Yeah i feel like im just throwing applications out into the universe. Wish there was a little more direction.

... so if you are worried about matching NASS I wouldn't even waste money on the acgme match.
100% agree with this^^.

ACGME Pain (or Sports for that matter) is >>>>>>>>>>>>>> NASS ISMM in terms of competitiveness. Unfortunately folks can face some limitations in terms of employment or credentialing to perform certain procedures with non ACGME spine training.

Was wondering if anyone got any interview invites from these programs yet

Nass website has a PDF called "match opportunities" that has important dates and timeline. Looks like interviews don't start until the end of march. I'd imagine its going to be a while

Anyone have interview invites rolling in? I have one interview offer and one rejection so far

Anyone know how many interviews each program sends out? I've heard its a lot less than residency

Anyone know how many interviews each program sends out? I've heard its a lot less than residency
No idea. Most Nass programs have 1-2 fellowship spots. So maybe 10-20 interview offers? Just guessing here. Maybe more offers with zoom interviews. Who knows. In an ideal world I’d have 10 interviews, likelihood of matching would be pretty high at that point

How are we to submit our rank list when the time comes? I'm having difficulty finding this information.

I had more fellowship interviews than I did residency and I think I'm among the middle pack of applicants. However due to covid, I believe some were 'courtesy interviews' that lasted 10-15 minutes and some were all day events. I think I had 10-12 NASS interviews and 5-6 others. The rank list was submitted on their site, they should provide more information.. and lets say there were some hiccups, hopefully they smoothed it out this year.

I had more fellowship interviews than I did residency and I think I'm among the middle pack of applicants. However due to covid, I believe some were 'courtesy interviews' that lasted 10-15 minutes and some were all day events. I think I had 10-12 NASS interviews and 5-6 others. The rank list was submitted on their site, they should provide more information.. and lets say there were some hiccups, hopefully they smoothed it out this year.
Did you end up with a nass or acgme fellowship? Kind of in the same boat for this app cycle. 1 acgme, 5 nass so far

If you are shooting for NASS, did you get letters from pain, spine, both or neither?

Hows the interview trail going so far for everyone? I wish we had a spreadsheet like the pain fellowship thread that showed when programs were sending out invites, impressions of interviews, things to know, etc. Anyone good with excel/google sheet want to take this on? Could be really helpful. Just a thought

Reactions: 2 users
Hows the interview trail going so far for everyone? I wish we had a spreadsheet like the pain fellowship thread that showed when programs were sending out invites, impressions of interviews, things to know, etc. Anyone good with excel/google sheet want to take this on? Could be really helpful. Just a thought
Haven’t heard from any programs since end of March. Just got emails that they are reviewing the applications

So far Ive only seen that we turn in the common application and supporting materials to each individual program? But how do we register for the actual Match itself?

Would y'all who applied this year be willing to write fellowship program interview impressions on here?

Old thread bump. Has anyone figured out how and when to submit a rank list? I emailed NASS but I haven’t received an answer yet!

No idea. Hopefully they send an email out or something. Anyone who matched last year happen to know?

No idea. Hopefully they send an email out or something. Anyone who matched last year happen to know?
I matched last year. I double-checked because I remembered there was something funny about it. I never got an email from NASS saying the rank lists were open. I actually got an email in early July from one of the programs I interviewed at that alerted me my name was missing from their rank list. I registered and all was straight after that. Hopefully they'll clarify it better this year, but in the meantime I'd suggest either reaching out to them directly or checking the website frequently.

Apparently, I cannot read. The applicant rank list registration link is on the Fellowship Match Timeline document.
They will send you an email with instructions in July once you are registered.
Best of luck to everyone! :)