Nasty, Rude Customers in Retail Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, we do live in the middle of nowhere. It's the closest one and we don't use a pharmacy often enough otherwise we would switch. My mom already had the Dr appt and labs and everything done prior. She did call the doctor's office one of the days and they said no one picked up when they tried to call the pharmacy, and they told my mom to tell them to call.
Another story, I called in a refill for a Rx that i recently started taking. I have a couple months of refills left on it so there should be no trouble. I called it in the morning, spoke to the pharmacist herself. She said it will be ready in 15 minutes. I went by 3-4 hours later and it was never filled. Tech was confused that I told her it should be filled already bc nothing was recorded in the system and nothing was ready for me in the bin. It was fine, I didn't mind waiting 15 min for it but since I am in pharmacy school myself I thought how that was unprofessional. I'm not switching pharmacies because I'm not bothered by that situation THAT MUCH but I can sympathize with others who might be pissed if that happened to them. If I was running late somewhere, I might have actually gotten pissed, but I'm on winter break and didn't mind. I might switch if this keeps happening. This is my first time getting Rx's in my adult life. Honestly you're just getting defensive instead of believing that there are unprofessional pharmacists out there.


Specter, yes that would be the logical way to proceed...

Ehh, you call up pharmacist tells you it will be ready in 15, at the same time someone comes up to the counter, and if the pharmacist doesn't write it down or pull up your profile before going to the counter, they can forget. Happens all the time, not a big deal.
 
Ehh, you call up pharmacist tells you it will be ready in 15, at the same time someone comes up to the counter, and if the pharmacist doesn't write it down or pull up your profile before going to the counter, they can forget. Happens all the time, not a big deal.

How long does it take to drop a prescription refill, 10 seconds? Let the person at the counter wait that long, it's not worth risking forgetting thee refill.
 
probably my most recent favorite story....

Some classy lady rolls through the drive thru in her 1980's chrysler. Well, at some point we can tell she is mad due to the fact that she is screaming so loud we can hear her through the bullett proof glass. I should add a comment her about her general appearance; minimal teeth, incredibly oversized t-shirt, hair from hell, etc. Well anyway, if I remember right she was pissed because we couldn't bill medicaid for her, oddly she didn't have her card...Well after ~15 minutes of yelling through the drive thru she finally leaves. She comes back and enters the pharmacy this time (how inconvenient) and has her card. She cuts in front of 5 other people in line and begins yelling at everyone, not just us in the pharmacy- but the store in general. She continues to yell until we finally get her meds. She then screams at everyone in line- telling them they have now been infected with strep. It was actually quite hilarious.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's what the shift before mine does to us. Pretty much everyday when I walk in, someone walks up to me and is like "here's all the stuff I didn't get to", and then when the next shift comes in, the cycle is repeated.

Hospital pharmacy is a shift job, you do what you can while you're on the clock. Once your time is up, walk out the door, especially since they aren't gonna pay you for staying late to finish your work.

Ahh yes I love this attitude. This is the exact attitude all of our day shift pharmacists have. On meeting days, they will have to go to the meeting around 1:30-2pm and their shift ends at 3:30pm. The funny part is when the meeting ends after 3 and they all leave like its not a big deal that they are leaving an extra hour or so of work for the next shift. But you can bet your sweet ass, if for some reason, there was extra work for all those day shifters the next morning, then they would be raising hell about it.
 
I was able to get a hold of the doctor on call last night. They okayed the one refill for the jerk and then will report it to his physician for me. I don't think it's fair that I have to have someone walk me out to my car every night and worry about my safety. As soon as possible, I am going to get out of retail pharmacy. No job is worth having to worry about your safety and jerks reporting you to corporate and the board for refusing to break laws for them.
I've also spoken to several retail pharmacists all over the country and they also said they have been threatened with physical violence by customers. One pharmacist in Chicago was beat up in the parking lot once for refusing to fill someone's controlled substance.

this is what medicine has come to..they threaten us too..and i worry for my safety as well..
its really awesome to be alone with these patients in a room...
when you dont give them what they 'need' they complain to administration..
so many pt encounters are arguments...

🙁
 
Tech was confused that I told her it should be filled already bc nothing was recorded in the system and nothing was ready for me in the bin. It was fine, I didn't mind waiting 15 min for it but since I am in pharmacy school myself I thought how that was unprofessional. I'm not switching pharmacies because I'm not bothered by that situation THAT MUCH but I can sympathize with others who might be pissed if that happened to them. If I was running late somewhere, I might have actually gotten pissed, but I'm on winter break and didn't mind. I might switch if this keeps happening. This is my first time getting Rx's in my adult life. Honestly you're just getting defensive instead of believing that there are unprofessional pharmacists out there.

I know there are unprofessional pharmacists out there, even crazy ones. I've had the misfortune of working with a few. The thing is.....money speaks. If you are getting bad service, and you keep going back and spending your money at that place, nothing will change. Why would it? Even complaining to management is unlikely to have much of an effect, because as long as you keep going there, management will figure you really aren't as unhappy as you are pretending to be. Would you take someone seriously if they kept complaining about a business (any business), and yet kept going back there? I understand giving a few chances, since humans make mistakes and one bad day at a business may not be indicative of an average day at a business. But your posts make it sound like you have had pretty much nothing but bad experiences at that pharmacy, so why reward it with your business? If its the only place in town, you may not have much of a choice for an acute prescription, but I would certainly consider other options for your chronic medicines (mail-order, monthly or tri-monthly if your ins pays 90 days excursion to a nearby town to get your RX's, etc.) Personally, when I have a customer/patient who has a bad experience/complaint, I take it serious and try to do what I can to rectify the mistake. If the same customer/patient has a bad experience/complaint every single time they come in (especially when they are threatening to pull their business elsewhere, yet never do :laugh: ) I don't take them seriously at all--because rational people don't keep coming back to a business they've had a bad experience with even 3 times, much less 5 or 10 times.
 
That's what the shift before mine does to us. Pretty much everyday when I walk in, someone walks up to me and is like "here's all the stuff I didn't get to", and then when the next shift comes in, the cycle is repeated.

Hospital pharmacy is a shift job, you do what you can while you're on the clock. Once your time is up, walk out the door, especially since they aren't gonna pay you for staying late to finish your work.

My last two hospital jobs were paid by the hour. I wouldn't have taken them otherwise.
 
this is what medicine has come to..they threaten us too..and i worry for my safety as well..
its really awesome to be alone with these patients in a room...
when you dont give them what they 'need' they complain to administration..
so many pt encounters are arguments...

🙁

This is scary. 🙁

mail order just keeps on getting more and more attractive everyday...
 
Ehh, you call up pharmacist tells you it will be ready in 15, at the same time someone comes up to the counter, and if the pharmacist doesn't write it down or pull up your profile before going to the counter, they can forget. Happens all the time, not a big deal.

I'd actually say this is quite a big deal. You tell someone you'll do something. Then you forget to do it and shrug it off as nothing. That's lying to a patient. Not a great way to go about life and/or business. Will it kill someone? Probably not. But still a bad attitude.
 
I'd actually say this is quite a big deal. You tell someone you'll do something. Then you forget to do it and shrug it off as nothing. That's lying to a patient. Not a great way to go about life and/or business. Will it kill someone? Probably not. But still a bad attitude.

Annnnnnnnd YOU'VE never worked at a store that fills 5,000 scripts per week.

🙄
 
I'd actually say this is quite a big deal. You tell someone you'll do something. Then you forget to do it and shrug it off as nothing. That's lying to a patient. Not a great way to go about life and/or business. Will it kill someone? Probably not. But still a bad attitude.

Like the poster above said, I'd like to see how you would do in a store that fills 500 scripts with minimal help. Trying filling 40 scripts an hour with 1 pharmacist & 2 techs and then get back to me about how smooth everything went. If your mom wants to yell at anyone, she should yell at the person who hires & short-staffs the pharmacy, not the poor clerk/technician who answered the phone and probably wasn't even there the day before.
 
This is scary. 🙁

mail order just keeps on getting more and more attractive everyday...

My first job out of school was at a mail order facility. Great job, even though we all had the rug pulled out from under us when they decided to relocate - and they ended up doing us a big favor because the whole company collapsed a few years later.

Towards the end, we got a contract for the Screen Actors Guild, and I spent part of an afternoon calling celebrities (yep, did indeed speak to several famous people) to ask about their drug allergies, and unfortunately we also did have to deal with some Beverly Hills Dr. Feelgoods. THAT was quite interesting.
 
This is one of the most entertaining SDN threads I have come across in quite some time, probably because I actually have something to add to the thoughts already posted:

1) Rich vs. Ghetto stores. I would agree with those who say that you come across the ruder patients in the higher SES stores. The stores that do a lot of Medicaid, more often than not they are more appreciative of my help and don't mind waiting even beyond the standard 15 min in-store wait time.

2) Early controlled substance refills. After you have worked in one area for several months, you get to know which doctors are as crooked as the patients that they see. Therefore, you as a pharmacist will refuse an early refill even if the doctor indicates that it is OK. You have the right to use your professional judgment just like the doctor does. I also recommend (especially if you float) to come up with one uniform system when determining whether or not you will fill controls early. I go with no sooner than 3 days early across the board.

3) Yelling patients. I will withstand yelling to a point; however, my guideline is that if they start cursing, conversation over and they are getting their prescriptions back and going to a different pharmacy.

And now for something that hasn't specifically been mentioned:

Patients who are inconsiderate of your time. We were open reduced hours yesterday (9-5). 3 min to close, I had a pt call and ask if her kid's Rx was ready. I say "yes, but we close in 3 min."
She says: "30 min?"
Me: "No ma'am, 3 min?"
She: "I'll be there."

Inevitably, she shows up after 5 PM in drive, I already have the drive-thru screen down and registers closed. She gets mad when I tell her she can't pick anything up. She was not the only one who tried to get something after close.

If it is just me and one tech, I will not take NEW scripts with less than 15 min to close. Somebody tried to drop one off at about 4:59 yesterday.

There is always a recorded message stating the holiday hours when you call the store. If they bothered to LISTEN to this, they wouldn't call the store later and leave a complaint after we've closed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is one of the most entertaining SDN threads I have come across in quite some time, probably because I actually have something to add to the thoughts already posted:

1) Rich vs. Ghetto stores. I would agree with those who say that you come across the ruder patients in the higher SES stores. The stores that do a lot of Medicaid, more often than not they are more appreciative of my help and don't mind waiting even beyond the standard 15 min in-store wait time.

2) Early controlled substance refills. After you have worked in one area for several months, you get to know which doctors are as crooked as the patients that they see. Therefore, you as a pharmacist will refuse an early refill even if the doctor indicates that it is OK. You have the right to use your professional judgment just like the doctor does. I also recommend (especially if you float) to come up with one uniform system when determining whether or not you will fill controls early. I go with no sooner than 3 days early across the board.

3) Yelling patients. I will withstand yelling to a point; however, my guideline is that if they start cursing, conversation over and they are getting their prescriptions back and going to a different pharmacy.

And now for something that hasn't specifically been mentioned:

Patients who are inconsiderate of your time. We were open reduced hours yesterday (9-5). 3 min to close, I had a pt call and ask if her kid's Rx was ready. I say "yes, but we close in 3 min."
She says: "30 min?"
Me: "No ma'am, 3 min?"
She: "I'll be there."

Inevitably, she shows up after 5 PM in drive, I already have the drive-thru screen down and registers closed. She gets mad when I tell her she can't pick anything up. She was not the only one who tried to get something after close.

If it is just me and one tech, I will not take NEW scripts with less than 15 min to close. Somebody tried to drop one off at about 4:59 yesterday.

There is always a recorded message stating the holiday hours when you call the store. If they bothered to LISTEN to this, they wouldn't call the store later and leave a complaint after we've closed.

Why were you even in the store at 5PM? Closing at 5PM means you are out the door at 5PM and preparing to close at 445PM.
 
This is one of the most entertaining SDN threads I have come across in quite some time, probably because I actually have something to add to the thoughts already posted:

1) Rich vs. Ghetto stores. I would agree with those who say that you come across the ruder patients in the higher SES stores. The stores that do a lot of Medicaid, more often than not they are more appreciative of my help and don't mind waiting even beyond the standard 15 min in-store wait time.

2) Early controlled substance refills. After you have worked in one area for several months, you get to know which doctors are as crooked as the patients that they see. Therefore, you as a pharmacist will refuse an early refill even if the doctor indicates that it is OK. You have the right to use your professional judgment just like the doctor does. I also recommend (especially if you float) to come up with one uniform system when determining whether or not you will fill controls early. I go with no sooner than 3 days early across the board.

3) Yelling patients. I will withstand yelling to a point; however, my guideline is that if they start cursing, conversation over and they are getting their prescriptions back and going to a different pharmacy.

And now for something that hasn't specifically been mentioned:

Patients who are inconsiderate of your time. We were open reduced hours yesterday (9-5). 3 min to close, I had a pt call and ask if her kid's Rx was ready. I say "yes, but we close in 3 min."
She says: "30 min?"
Me: "No ma'am, 3 min?"
She: "I'll be there."

Inevitably, she shows up after 5 PM in drive, I already have the drive-thru screen down and registers closed. She gets mad when I tell her she can't pick anything up. She was not the only one who tried to get something after close.

If it is just me and one tech, I will not take NEW scripts with less than 15 min to close. Somebody tried to drop one off at about 4:59 yesterday.

There is always a recorded message stating the holiday hours when you call the store. If they bothered to LISTEN to this, they wouldn't call the store later and leave a complaint after we've closed.

Another thing you have to be careful of are the APNP's....in some states it is outside their scope of practice to prescribe stimulants, opiods....you really have to know teh law..
 
Like the poster above said, I'd like to see how you would do in a store that fills 500 scripts with minimal help. Trying filling 40 scripts an hour with 1 pharmacist & 2 techs and then get back to me about how smooth everything went. If your mom wants to yell at anyone, she should yell at the person who hires & short-staffs the pharmacy, not the poor clerk/technician who answered the phone and probably wasn't even there the day before.


Biding My Time, I think that comment was directed towards me, not the other poster lol. Yes I understand pharmacies are busy and I know what goes on behind the counter. Most patients DON'T KNOW. So they get angry when they are sent between the Drs office and the pharmacy 5 times before a problem is resolved. I don't blame them. Our healthcare system is f'ed up and confusing and people have to go around in circles before they get something done. I do blame really obnoxious people with no manners. Those people are just everywhere, not pharmacies. You're just bitter at the comment I made and you keep coming back with things to say, which you don't even know if they are true or not. That pharmacy is NOT. BUSY. I have NEVER seen a line there over the past 10 yrs at different times of the day and I stop by there a few times a week to pick up things in the non-pharmacy section. They have 2 techs, 1 pharmacist, and one cashier. I really don't know why I'm going into all these details but you're asking for it. what about the pharmacist I saw who was texting nonstop and giggling with 10 pts in line during my rotation? Let me guess, you have a story to save his butt for that one too. I'm tired of waah waah my life sucks I'm a pharmacist stories. Just suck it up and do it or find another career.

Pharmacists, If you don't want to deal with customers/patients and their variable behavior then don't choose this career. Too many students went into this for the 100k salary and now they hate their lives and become bitter for their poor choices and then they misrepresent our profession to others when they complain about their job.
 
probably my most recent favorite story....

Some classy lady rolls through the drive thru in her 1980's chrysler. Well, at some point we can tell she is mad due to the fact that she is screaming so loud we can hear her through the bullett proof glass. I should add a comment her about her general appearance; minimal teeth, incredibly oversized t-shirt, hair from hell, etc. Well anyway, if I remember right she was pissed because we couldn't bill medicaid for her, oddly she didn't have her card...Well after ~15 minutes of yelling through the drive thru she finally leaves. She comes back and enters the pharmacy this time (how inconvenient) and has her card. She cuts in front of 5 other people in line and begins yelling at everyone, not just us in the pharmacy- but the store in general. She continues to yell until we finally get her meds. She then screams at everyone in line- telling them they have now been infected with strep. It was actually quite hilarious.

I don't even understand why these patients are catered to. Does the pharmacy manager really think they'll lose any business from the other customers if they go out and say "Excuse me miss, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the premises, as you're being a bit of a bellend. If you need help finding the exit, I'd be happy to call the police for you."

Not that that's the best way to handle it, but point...
 
I don't even understand why these patients are catered to. Does the pharmacy manager really think they'll lose any business from the other customers if they go out and say "Excuse me miss, I'm going to have to ask you to leave the premises, as you're being a bit of a bellend. If you need help finding the exit, I'd be happy to call the police for you."

Not that that's the best way to handle it, but point...

thats what you need..a lawsuit..
"i was traumatized"
 
coutersue claims can result in nothing...and usually do..
when a doc is sued....whether he is at fault or not...
or settles or not...it is a stain on every malpractice and credentialing app forever..
what does a countersue really get you?
 
coutersue claims can result in nothing...and usually do..
when a doc is sued....whether he is at fault or not...
or settles or not...it is a stain on every malpractice and credentialing app forever..
what does a countersue really get you?

I was being largely facetious. However I have seen threat of valid counter suit cause many people to drop frivolous cases (not in medicine). But the idea that one persons opening a door which may backfire causing a retreat is not legally uncommon. The unfortunate thing is the subjective nature of our legal system where the richer or more successful party is not seen as much of a person as the one playing victim. It isn't party A vs party B. Its party A vs a doctor/pharmacist/business owner/ whatever

You mention settling as well. I've always found this interesting. It is done because the institutions view settling as cheaper than fighting suits coupled with the risk of losing. However being quick to settle encourages more suits. I personally wish hospitals would fight any frivolous suits as the projected success rates is actually quite low. Id bet this would impact litigations towards everyone in health care


Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile
 
Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the SAG being covered by a mail-order pharmacy! When CVS Caremark took over Advanced PCS, they closed their Dallas/FtWorth facilties and some depts. in Phoenix. I have heard of consolidating several depts. so that they aren't scattered thru the nation.
 
I was being largely facetious. However I have seen threat of valid counter suit cause many people to drop frivolous cases (not in medicine). But the idea that one persons opening a door which may backfire causing a retreat is not legally uncommon. The unfortunate thing is the subjective nature of our legal system where the richer or more successful party is not seen as much of a person as the one playing victim. It isn't party A vs party B. Its party A vs a doctor/pharmacist/business owner/ whatever

You mention settling as well. I've always found this interesting. It is done because the institutions view settling as cheaper than fighting suits coupled with the risk of losing. However being quick to settle encourages more suits. I personally wish hospitals would fight any frivolous suits as the projected success rates is actually quite low. Id bet this would impact litigations towards everyone in health care


Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile


it does not matter what we think..the hospital will protect itself...
read contracts carefully..
have your own malpractice insurance as well...
 
No security, and yes, they are that cheap. I feel like the company doesn't care about our safety at all. In fact, I had a store manager tell me we are discouraged from calling the police in our store. He even said that he would welcome back in the store a customer who theatened me with physical violence. From 14 hour days with no breaks to not caring about our safety, the retail chain I'm at is one of the worst places ever.
what retail chain is it? Can I guess CVS?
 
It took me a day or two to get back to this topic because I had to work some more 14 hour shifts with no breaks for even lunch or the restroom. So this week I had to work with an overbearing pharmacy manager who tried to get me to fill someone's oxycontin 7 days early, and someone else had wanted a C2 10 days early. I refused. It's my name that would go down as filling them early, not hers. Anyone else fill in at various stores and have the pharmacy manager at those stores call you and be rude or come into the store to watch you work?

Also, what are people's thoughts on customers and store managers threatening to call corporate on us if the customers don't get what they want? I had only been working a week or two and they said corporate was notified and people had complained about me. I think people have called corporate on everyone working there. Can corproate really fire us because we use our professional judgment and might not agree or give into a customer's every demand?

And I can relate to the post about people coming in 15 minutes before close wanting new prescriptions filled. To the poster who says he doesn't fill new prescriptions late at night with one technician, the company I work for is so cheap that I am by myself for 2 hours at night. I don't even have a pharmacy technician. A supervisor told me to go ahead and fill new prescriptions 5 minutes before close, which can't even happen. They shut the computers down at cash registers so you can't even check someone out if you wanted to stay a few minutes.
 
Last edited:
It took me a day or two to get back to this topic because I had to work some more 14 hour shifts with no breaks for even lunch or the restroom. So this week I had to work with an overbearing pharmacy manager who tried to get me to fill someone's oxycontin 7 days early, and someone else had wanted a C2 10 days early. I refused. It's my name that would go down as filling them early, not hers. Anyone else fill in at various stores and have the pharmacy manager at those stores call you and be rude or come into the store to watch you work?

Also, what are people's thoughts on customers and store managers threatening to call corporate on us if the customers don't get what they want? I had only been working a week or two and they said corporate was notified and people had complained about me. I think people have called corporate on everyone working there. Can corproate really fire us because we use our professional judgment and might not agree or give into a customer's every demand?

And I can relate to the post about people coming in 15 minutes before close wanting new prescriptions filled. To the poster who says he doesn't fill new prescriptions late at night with one technician, the company I work for is so cheap that I am by myself for 2 hours at night. I don't even have a pharmacy technician. A supervisor told me to go ahead and fill new prescriptions 5 minutes before close, which can't even happen. They shut the computers down at cash registers so you can't even check someone out if you wanted to stay a few minutes.

It's obvious they don't like you because you won't look the other way on some of these issues. Management would rather have someone who allows early fills so these people aren't making complaints, so your company is collecting that copay and reimbursement, and so on. But when it comes back on you for early fills, there won't be a soul who sticks up for you. If you are going to have a system for early filling of controls then you better stick to your guns. Tell patients about the requirements for your license, YOUR responsibility for holding that license, that the physician must OK early fills if you are even comfortable filling them in the first place.

Being the gatekeeper between narcotic medications in a for profit scenario is really a catch 22 in itself. Best of luck with pharmacy manager standing over your shoulder.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It took me a day or two to get back to this topic because I had to work some more 14 hour shifts with no breaks for even lunch or the restroom. So this week I had to work with an overbearing pharmacy manager who tried to get me to fill someone's oxycontin 7 days early, and someone else had wanted a C2 10 days early. I refused. It's my name that would go down as filling them early, not hers. Anyone else fill in at various stores and have the pharmacy manager at those stores call you and be rude or come into the store to watch you work?

Also, what are people's thoughts on customers and store managers threatening to call corporate on us if the customers don't get what they want? I had only been working a week or two and they said corporate was notified and people had complained about me. I think people have called corporate on everyone working there. Can corproate really fire us because we use our professional judgment and might not agree or give into a customer's every demand?

And I can relate to the post about people coming in 15 minutes before close wanting new prescriptions filled. To the poster who says he doesn't fill new prescriptions late at night with one technician, the company I work for is so cheap that I am by myself for 2 hours at night. I don't even have a pharmacy technician. A supervisor told me to go ahead and fill new prescriptions 5 minutes before close, which can't even happen. They shut the computers down at cash registers so you can't even check someone out if you wanted to stay a few minutes.

What was the necessity for the 7 days early on the Oxycontin? Was the patient a regular? Was it the same doctor writing for it? Would a new prescription written by the same doctor for the same strength/directions/quantity of Oxycontin constitute as a "refill" to you legally?

Just wonderin'
 
Sure rxlea, you can message me with any jobs you hear about. G40631, I fill in for pharmacists at different stores. There is no way of knowing every patient's excuse for wanting new refills, and at this point, I've heard every lie in the book.