MSW NASW Credentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wesleysmith

LCSW
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently given an assignment that brought my attention to the various credentials one can earn through the NASW Credentialing Center. I was curious as to whether anybody could explain the utility of one of these titles (DCSW, ACSW, QCSW) beyond your LCSW (or whatever it is in your state)? As far as I can tell they are simply extra letters you can buy to put behind your name. The requirements for them are not that incredibly far off from your normal license. Do they help you move up within an agency? Get hired at "better" agencies? Just make clients feel better because you have some more credentials? Just make you feel better?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So funny that you're bringing this up now. I just noticed my field supervisor has a certificate up in his office saying he can use the title ACSW and I've been meaning to look up what that meant (interestingly enough I could not find an LCSW-C certification in his office though he uses that as his title).

Reactions: 1 user
Haha, I was a little worried I might come off as ignorant for NOT knowing, so that's good to hear. It sounds like for the most part it does just look good to potential employers/clients - it says it can make you eligible for pay increases and higher reimbursement rates as well, but I figured I'd rather hear it from people who may know first hand as opposed to taking their word for it being that they stand to gain $30 dollars per year to keep you well credentialed, in addition to the initial fee. Although, I read somewhere completely unreliable and unreferenceable (new word) this morning while browsing around that it is attractive to certain insurance panels (or maybe it was you had to have them for certain insurance panels?), but once again, that was some random forum where just about anybody can post anything (hmmm, sounds familiar), so I don't know how accurate that is. I did notice on the NASW website that the ACSW is a prerequisite for the DCSW; so you have to work your way up I guess, to what end? Still not quite sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm officially intrigued...I'm gonna try to dig some info up too.

I will ask some folks on my end and report back to ya'll this weekend. This is all new to me. Thanks WesleySmith for introducing it

Great, we have the team on the case! :D Looking forward to hearing what you guys find out. Two of my professors tomorrow are private practice lcsw's, I'll see what they have to say about it.

Quick update: Regarding that tidbit about needing these credentials to get on some insurance panels, my IP professor informed me that back before my state had a state license for CSWs, the ACSW credential allowed CSWs to get on insurance panels, in place of the LCSW (or whatever your state has). Now that we have a state license, he said he views it more as a personal accomplishment, plus it looks nice on your CV.So, there's that; okay, back to class!