National Disaster Life Support

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hawk22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As someone with a lot of interest in prehospital and disaster medicine, I'm thinking about taking a few of the NDLS courses. I've talked to the folks that run these at a few meetings and always thought these seemed like interesting courses. Wanted to see if anyone here has experience with these and if they thought the classes were worth the time/energy/effort. Any thoughts?

For those not familiar with the NDLS Foundation, here's their website:
http://www.ndlsf.org

Members don't see this ad.

As someone with a lot of interest in prehospital and disaster medicine, I'm thinking about taking a few of the NDLS courses. I've talked to the folks that run these at a few meetings and always thought these seemed like interesting courses. Wanted to see if anyone here has experience with these and if they thought the classes were worth the time/energy/effort. Any thoughts?

For those not familiar with the NDLS Foundation, here's their website:
http://www.ndlsf.org

I've had BDLS/CDLS and ADLS is scheduled for May. IMHO they are interesting, but I am also early in my med ed and have had no opportunity to apply any of it. I do wonder if they would be too basic for a PGY-1 in EM. Maybe someone further along in their education can comment on their utility in terms of EM residents and physicians.

Coming soon:

National Auto Accident Life Support
National Rodeo Life Support
National Underwater Recreation Life Support
National Restaurant Catastrophe Life Support

Members don't see this ad :)
National Restaurant Catastrophe Life Support

If I get to practice doing a cric on a real live person using only a ball point pen and steak knife then count me in. If it's just a simulator or cadavers then I'm not interested.

If I get to practice doing a cric on a real live person using only a ball point pen and steak knife then count me in. If it's just a simulator or cadavers then I'm not interested.

Sorry, but it's mostly simulators.

The food's pretty good most of the time, though.

Take care,
Jeff

The reason this stuff bothers me is that people are really just trying to make money off the success of ACLS. The thing that makes ACLS and PALS valuable is that they are (mostly) evidence based guidelines which-if followed when appropriate to do so-may reduce patient mortality/morbidity.

ATLS/NDLS etc. are just opinion pieces designed to line pockets. The information you get there are unlikely to expand on what you will already learn as part of being an emergency physician. I would say the same for the ACLS/PALS part except I find it is an effective way to remember those evidence based practices.