National Guard $80,000 incentive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deringer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that the Army National Guard will give new medical graduates a $30,000 sign on bonus and an additional $50,000 student loan repayment. The only commitment is 1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year for 6 years. Plus you can get $1000 per month extra while in residency, but have to pay that back with additional service years (2 extra years for each year of $1000/month stipend). You can decline the $1000 extra if you wish. Where's the catch?

Members don't see this ad.

The catch is that regardless of your direct service, you can be called into active duty AT ANY TIME. And even though you are in the gaurd...you are an officer and therefore will be one of the first to be called. Depending on your specialty (anesthesia, surgery, etc.), you might be a lock.

lets see... active duty possible (activation can be from 30 days to one year in length)

You mentioned the aditional two year for every year of extra stipend..

The 50,000 means you have to sign a agreement that says "Yes I will serve in a 'USAR Troop Program Unit (TPU) or the Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) Program'. Which I think says they can send you where they want, when they want roughly...

Oh and you can only get all this bonuses if you are high need (the amry lists)

Only the following Medical Specialties are eligible for the bonus:
Psychiatry
Orthopedic Surgeon
Family Practice
Emergency Medicine
Internal Medicine
Subspecialty of Internal Medicine
Gastroenterologist
Cardiologist
Endocrinologist
Nephrologist
Medical Oncologist/Hematologist
Infectious Disease
Pulmonary Disease
Rheumatologist.

Othewise you can't get those big bonuses...

good luck

-DjMD

Members don't see this ad :)
I called:

The guy said this:

50 K loan repayment
30 K bonus

$1056 during residency + $7000 as an officer=close to 20 K per year

What they want from you:

b/c of 80K they want you to be with them for 8 years.

For every year that you receive $1056 + $7000 they want 2 years. So if you do 3 years of IM residency and get this money they want 6 years.
Total it would be 8+6=14 years of obligation.

Also while doing those 14 years (1 weekend per month + 2 weeks per year) the current pay is about 8K per year.

Also I asked if they can send me to a war. They said no. Was he telling the truth? I do not know.
All that he was saying that they were very flexible especially during the residency.

If they need you, they'll send you active duty. Yes they may be flexible, but why chance it. Say you work hard for a residency spot and then find out you are called to active duty. Sorry to say, but that spot won't be waiting for you when you get back.

There is no such thing as free money.

#1 NEVER trust a recruiter.
#2 NEVER trust a recruiter.
#3 See #1 and #2.

Have the recruiter give you some names of physicians in that program that you can contact. Pick their brains about good vs. bad.

Most contracts have a little sentance that says something like "We reserve the right to change your contract in any way, shape, form as the needs of the US Army change." I wouldn't want to sign that!

30k is a nice chunk of change.. What if you don't have any debt? Get anything else?

IF you have a problem serving the US Army --- do not sign up. It is that simple. There is no draft, no conscription, and no one will force you into anything. At some point you may be asked upon to serve your country-- if you can not handle the fact that you might get deployed then do not bother. It is all volunteer. You may be a doctor but in the Army-- EVERY ONE IS A SOLDIER FIRST. There are certain things that everyone in the military needs to know that you would have to know as well. If a captain in the infantry can not say no to a deployment, then neither can a medical corps officer. No real soldier would (especially when your country needs you).

I know what I am talking about-- I am an Army HPSP student who really loves the army and wants to make it my career. I am one of the few medical students that wants to go to airborne school and air assault, and get my EFMB ( after residency I hope). I would even prefer to match at an army hospital in surgery as opposed to a civilian program.

Take my word-- in the Army everyone maintains a military bearing. There are no MASH like doctors and Hawkeye would be court martialed today for insubordination.

It is not all bad though- they do some really cool medical things. But you take the good with the bad and if you are unsure-- do not do it. You might want to look into primary care loans or the public health service (they have similar deals without the trouble of deployment).

Ok, I am gonna rant a bit here about some common misconceptions I have seen here at SDN regarding military service. First issue "officers will be called up first." Where are you getting this from? As a current officer in the Army I can say this is false. This statement gives the feeling that first they will send officers in to duty, why? Who do officers lead? Soldiers. The only officers that will be called out before soldiers are probably field grades (Major and above) or generals, and that would be to sit in some comfy chairs and PLAN a deployment. The first units to go are combat arms units (Infantry, Armor, Field Artillery, etc.) and if you are a Brigade Surgeon you will go with them. What does that mean to you as a doc? It means you are a REMF (Rear Echelon Mo Fo) and are sitting a comfy minimum of 20km behind the front lines (dependant on terrain). Now, when units go to Fort Irwin, CA to do a rotation at the National Training Center the REMFs get in the action, but I cannot see any of our current foes getting that far behind our front lines in any groups larger than a single vehicle or about five or six people.

Second issue: They can call you up out of residency. To do what? They aren't gonna send a medical officer to be a bullet-stopper. They aren't gonna send someone untrained in a needed specialty to war and destroy that asset. You, as a doctor, are an asset to the Army. It would make absolutely no sense for them to deploy you without the training they need you to do. Granted, the Active Duty military can be silly and make you be a GMO, but what advantage would the NG get out of that?? None, they are not the first ones to go anywhere. When they are deployed, there are already established bases (in varying levels of comfort). The last time national guard units were called up to the front lines was something like WWII. Another added point is the emphasis from our current leaders to fully and completely man ALL of our combat arms units, that will further decrease the chances of a national guard unit being deployed overseas.

Another thing is the difference between the NG and the Reserves. The National Guard is controlled by the state's governor, and is used mainly for in-state issues. For example, in Idaho (where I plan on joining the NG) they are frequently called up to fight the summer forest fires. Now, as a medical officer there is the chance that a slot will come up to send you somewhere without your unit as an attachment to another unit. In that instance you are going to be no closer than the REMFs mentioned earlier.

My final point is that the Medical Corps is NOT considered to be the 'real' Army. Allow me to explain. The MC is in a world of its own. As an active duty MC officer, the soldiering you will be required to do is qualify on your assigned weapon (usually a 9mm) once a year, pass your Army Physical Fitness Test once every six months, and you might have to participate in a ceremony or two (as a spectator).

Basically, the MC is cake. I am NOT saying that in the NG you will not ever see combat, I am just saying that the likelihood of that is very slim. Who knows what will happen in the future, especially with the growing war on terrorism. Remember, as stated before, if you don't want to serve the USA, don't sign up. If you do sign up, the only times you as a medical officer will see armed combat up close is if our front lines get overrun (not gonna happen) or if you are in Special Forces or the Rangers (which if you don't want to see combat up close you don't have to join).

Oh, one more thing. Recruiters are not all liars. It is their job to tell you both sides of what you are getting into. It is your right to know fully what you are getting into. The reason people think recruiters are misleading is that they emphasize the positive aspects and downplay the negative ones, but who doesn't do that. The advice to get names from your recruiter of physicians already in the program is very good advice, especially since not a single one of the medical recruiters have been through what you are about to go through.

Good luck with your schooling and getting it paid for. If you have any questions about the military feel free to ask me, if I don't know it I will find it out.

Ben

P.S. hosskp1, have fun at Airborne School, jumping out of planes is fun. Good luck with the EFMB, it is THE most difficult badge to earn. Also, since you seem to be so high speed, you may want to look into getting into the Batts. Good luck getting the schools, most units are reluctant to give slots to people what will not use the training. (Posts to look at if you really want those schools are Fort Bragg, NC for Airborne and Fort Campbell, KY for Air Assault those will be your best chances for getting those schools.)

Thanks dctrben
I like what you have to say and appreciate your input. I mainly want to apply to become a surgeon, but I would like to try for the other things like airborne, air assault, and the EFMB. I am not sure how difficult it all is, but some doctors seem to have done all of this stuff (i guess that they played their cards strategically).

any way, thanks and Hoo-Ahh