National Health Corps Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanook

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the National Health Corps Scholarships? They are similar to the military ones, but you serve in underserved areas and US territories for (I think) four years. In specific, I am wondering about the following info:

1. Where to find info/how to apply?
2. What are acceptance criteria? (How difficult to get, what do they look for)?
3. Are DO candidates as eligible to apply as MD? As likely to be accepted?

Any info would be appreciated (especially from someone who has the scholarship!).

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

nanook, check out the osteopathic medstudent room; i asked the same question and got some really helpfull answers and a link to the health and human resources web site...

yes, DO's and MD's are both considered for the NHSC scholarship equally and the acceptance rate depends upon your commitment to practice in a primary care field...the application is a little long and not too tedious....if your responces meet thier expectations, they will offer you an interview then the scholarship pending the results of the interview...

here's the catch...for every year you accept thier money (they pay full tuition and a $946/mo stipend before taxes of course) you'll work 1 year in a region that has insufficient health care coverage; there is a minimum of two years of service and also a maximum of four years....that's right, you could get tuition paid for and have a guaranteed job after school for four years....you also can defer your service period if you have an extended residency....

i'm checking into it because i'm really serious about primary care and i'd really like to work in a rural region with family practice...but it is not for everyone...at least check it out!

good luck to you!

[This message has been edited by ebola95 (edited 01-18-2000).]

I looked at the info there and also at the web page that was listed there. I was a bit disappointed with the web page that NHSC had up--not much info. It basically said that "yes, scholarships do exist", and that was about it.

Anyway, I wrote away for their info and application packet. Hopefully it will contain some useful stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what the salary is as you work for them?
thanks

thanks

I believe that you are paid by whatever facility you work for, not by the NHSC. And I assume that if it were a big salary, then they wouldn't need the NHSC to help place physicians. I shadowed a doc who did this, so this is how I understood it--but I could be wrong.

There is also the loan repayment program, which is a bit easier to get, but they don't repay all of your loans.

thanks

I just wrote a long pos and accidently closed my explorer, so I will be brief. All of this information is on their website, just look around.
You will be paid around $60,000. Not too bad considering you’ll have no debt and no fear of being deployed had you done a military scholarship.
This program is not just for primary care. Read the description carefully. OB/GYN and psychiatry are all options. Emergency medicine, often thought of as a primary care field, is not eligible, nor is any dual residency program (like psych/family). Keep that in mind.
Some people had commented that having a job straight out of residency is a bonus, but honestly it’s not. If you can’t find a job as a board-certified doctor (doesn’t matter the field), then you need help. You may not make a high wage that you had hoped for, but you will find a job afterwards that uses your skills and pays you higher than the average income. This is not college, it’s med school
The loan forgiveness program will take $50,000 of your debt for two years of service. You need to find a placement site that has enough need. This is a key thing that they do not tell you. If you look up PA in the job placement search engine for example, you will get mostly prisons as the places that have the required need rating of 18 or higher. Most people think of Indian reservations and the rural country side as the sites they may be put. Know that for either the scholarship or the loan forgiveness program you could end up at a prison. The loan forgiveness offers you more choice, but depending on the year, you might get stuck. Just something to keep in mind.
There are far more applications then scholarship spaces. I have a masters degree in public health administration, a merit scholarship to PCOM, etc, and I was told that my chances are still not good. It is not a for sure thing like the Army.
There are plenty of other rewarding programs if the nation health corps doesn’t suit you. The Department of Veteran Affairs (ie VA hospitals) also offers a rewarding opportunity to serve those who have served America and they also have loan forgiveness. Just type in ‘physician’ at www.usajobs.gov
Hope this information helps!

Wow. This thread was 9 years old!

Is there a way to spend your commitment in an urban/metropolitan area? That's what I would be more interested in.

Wow. This thread was 9 years old!

Is there a way to spend your commitment in an urban/metropolitan area? That's what I would be more interested in.

If you look online at their job search site, you can find something I'm sure. But it might be a prision (like in Philly). Again, just go on the site and check it out. Sites are constantly being updated/added, just look to see if they have the score of 18 or higher

Good luck!

I just wrote a long pos and accidently closed my explorer, so I will be brief. All of this information is on their website, just look around.
You will be paid around $60,000. Not too bad considering you’ll have no debt and no fear of being deployed had you done a military scholarship.
This program is not just for primary care. Read the description carefully. OB/GYN and psychiatry are all options. Emergency medicine, often thought of as a primary care field, is not eligible, nor is any dual residency program (like psych/family). Keep that in mind.
Some people had commented that having a job straight out of residency is a bonus, but honestly it’s not. If you can’t find a job as a board-certified doctor (doesn’t matter the field), then you need help. You may not make a high wage that you had hoped for, but you will find a job afterwards that uses your skills and pays you higher than the average income. This is not college, it’s med school
The loan forgiveness program will take $50,000 of your debt for two years of service. You need to find a placement site that has enough need. This is a key thing that they do not tell you. If you look up PA in the job placement search engine for example, you will get mostly prisons as the places that have the required need rating of 18 or higher. Most people think of Indian reservations and the rural country side as the sites they may be put. Know that for either the scholarship or the loan forgiveness program you could end up at a prison. The loan forgiveness offers you more choice, but depending on the year, you might get stuck. Just something to keep in mind.
There are far more applications then scholarship spaces. I have a masters degree in public health administration, a merit scholarship to PCOM, etc, and I was told that my chances are still not good. It is not a for sure thing like the Army.
There are plenty of other rewarding programs if the nation health corps doesn’t suit you. The Department of Veteran Affairs (ie VA hospitals) also offers a rewarding opportunity to serve those who have served America and they also have loan forgiveness. Just type in ‘physician’ at www.usajobs.gov
Hope this information helps!

Thank you for the information.
I did the math and I figured that doing the scholarship for 4 years and going without the scholarhip, the difference is only $40k that I would save. Therefore, I would only have to work 1-2 more years to break even.
So I decided to go without the NHCS scholarship and save me all that trouble.
How does everyone else fee about that?

Thank you for the information.
I did the math and I figured that doing the scholarship for 4 years and going without the scholarhip, the difference is only $40k that I would save. Therefore, I would only have to work 1-2 more years to break even.
So I decided to go without the NHCS scholarship and save me all that trouble.
How does everyone else fee about that?

No problem!

Did you keep in mind that the scholarship includes all of your living expenses (rent, food,etc)? I think that makes a big difference. I guess if you are going to LECOM- Erie or a cheap state school, you are right that the financial benefit is not elephantine. Also, it does restrict your residency options quite a bit. I think that's the factor of most concern. If you're like me through and you're already set on primary care, it's a very good deal. For me, not having to be in debt for an extra 1-2 more years is worth the hassle of applying to the scholarship

Is there any mention of the National Health Service Corps receiving any increased federal monetary assistance as part of the plan to promote primary care graduates? I heard that since Obama has been talking about people getting more access to care, help in underserved communities, yada yada, he is going to implement new plans that may/may not involve loan forgiveness and or scholarship grants to those going into primary care. What about funding existing plans like the NHSC? Have they received more money this year for scholarships?

Is there any mention of the National Health Service Corps receiving any increased federal monetary assistance as part of the plan to promote primary care graduates? I heard that since Obama has been talking about people getting more access to care, help in underserved communities, yada yada, he is going to implement new plans that may/may not involve loan forgiveness and or scholarship grants to those going into primary care. What about funding existing plans like the NHSC? Have they received more money this year for scholarships?

I asked the rep about this. She was very happy with Obama and the likelihood of favorable funding for the National Health Service Corps. The program has a really good retention rate, something in hte 80s, meaning that around 80% of docs who do the program stay in that area and don't move after finishing their committment, so it's a good investment from the view of the gov't. However, she mentioned that with the economy going to crap and the car companies asking for money, funding this program probably won't be a top priority for the administration, but again the outlook for the future is hopeful. They have not received more money for this year, give Obama's people at least a month! :) Just kidding, it might be longer than that. I'll post again when the application goes online. Good luck to everyone!

I asked the rep about this. She was very happy with Obama and the likelihood of favorable funding for the National Health Service Corps. The program has a really good retention rate, something in hte 80s, meaning that around 80% of docs who do the program stay in that area and don't move after finishing their committment, so it's a good investment from the view of the gov't. However, she mentioned that with the economy going to crap and the car companies asking for money, funding this program probably won't be a top priority for the administration, but again the outlook for the future is hopeful. They have not received more money for this year, give Obama's people at least a month! :) Just kidding, it might be longer than that. I'll post again when the application goes online. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks I appreciate it. Considering that Obama has already signed 5 executive orders in his first week as president (which is normal for a president in one YEAR of office), and is spending like crazy, this shouldn't seem that difficult to do.