Advice on writing essay for medical school scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumn123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an incoming med student and my school has several scholarships, but the application criteria are a bit vague. For example, one scholarship is called “Healthcare Leader Scholarship” and specified that you must be a minority student, but there is no exact prompt or questions. It offers a one-year tuition waiver of $5,000. I’m not sure how to best write my essay.

What do you think are the most important components in these essays? How different should they be from your old secondary essays where you talk in-depth about some of your activities and talk about the school’s mission and how you fit them well? I’m afraid it’s not good enough to just reuse my secondary essays.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Seeing no one responded, I have these thoughts:

1) How were you encouraged to apply for this essay? You may be overthinking what to write about it, but I don't know the prompt. Ask your financial aid folks for any guidance. Then ask current students if they have heard of this essay and have suggestions.

2) Go over the mission and the opportunities the schools offers you as a "healthcare leader." If it is meant to be for minority committed students, you may want to think about how important it is for healthcare leadership reflect the diversity of the general population.

Reactions: 1 user