national Pathology rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mapledale

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We know there is rank for universities, for example, the top universities are Harvard, Princeton, Yale..... I am wondering if there is a rank for Pathology programs nationwide:confused:?

Members don't see this ad.

We know there is rank for universities, for example, the top universities are Harvard, Princeton, Yale..... I am wondering if there is a rank for Pathology programs nationwide:confused:?

Hold on a sec...I've only got the first five, but maybe someone else on here has the rest.

1. Universidad de Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico
2. University of Central Minnesota, Minnesota, United States
3. Kung Pao, Chicken Campus, Sichaun Province, China
4. Guinness College of Medicine, UK
5. Compton School of Mad Microscope Skillz, Compton, California

In all seriousness, there are no rankings.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

If there were such a ranking, why would it matter to you? It never ceases to amaze me the importance people place on trivial things like rankings which are so unbelievably subjective and biased. I guess in some cases that's all people have to go on, but do a little more research. If someone does give you a ranking, why would you trust it? Do an experiment once and try and figure out just what actually goes into these rankings and see how many of them have one bit of relevance to your education.

Do you really think harvard, princeton, and yale are the true top universities? Do they make people better students, better citizens, etc? They are called the top universities because they have money and have the luxury of being subjective in their applications and admissions. And they often have graduates who never shut up about them and make people think the university made them who they are.

I recommend to everyone that they stop bowing to the altar of ranking worship, as it only leads to perpetuation of elitism without cause. I've said it before, I'll say it again: Make your own prestige.

If there were such a ranking, why would it matter to you? It never ceases to amaze me the importance people place on trivial things like rankings which are so unbelievably subjective and biased. I guess in some cases that's all people have to go on, but do a little more research. If someone does give you a ranking, why would you trust it? Do an experiment once and try and figure out just what actually goes into these rankings and see how many of them have one bit of relevance to your education.

Do you really think harvard, princeton, and yale are the true top universities? Do they make people better students, better citizens, etc? They are called the top universities because they have money and have the luxury of being subjective in their applications and admissions. And they often have graduates who never shut up about them and make people think the university made them who they are.

I recommend to everyone that they stop bowing to the altar of ranking worship, as it only leads to perpetuation of elitism without cause. I've said it before, I'll say it again: Make your own prestige.

:thumbup:

I am dismayed at seeing Kung Pao as #3?! I am ranking them #1. :D

Hold on a sec...I've only got the first five, but maybe someone else on here has the rest.

1. Universidad de Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico
2. University of Central Minnesota, Minnesota, United States
3. Kung Pao, Chicken Campus, Sichaun Province, China
4. Guinness College of Medicine, UK
5. Compton School of Mad Microscope Skillz, Compton, California

In all seriousness, there are no rankings.

I have met more guys making 7-figures from Guadalajara than any other place. Crazy but true. One of the bigger transplant guys in LA was a G-grad (Viva la Mexico) who then practiced his mad skillz on Indian reservations until he was supa elite.

I have met more guys making 7-figures from Guadalajara than any other place. Crazy but true. One of the bigger transplant guys in LA was a G-grad (Viva la Mexico) who then practiced his mad skillz on Indian reservations until he was supa elite.

I'm hoping to be L33T one day. Doubt it will ever happen though. I'm just hoping to be legit.

Ranking discussions are, almost invariably, nonsensical, especially as you try to measure up increasingly specialized and different subgroups.

It can be argued, that undergrad "top 10/15, whatever, vs. the rest" rankings can be useful to some largely unquantifiable degree in measuring undergrad colleges. Same applies, probably more so, in regard to law schools.
As you move to medical schools, rankings matter less, because unlike law schools, there's a fairly comprehensive minimum bar (LCME accreditation).

In hospitals, rankings can sometimes also be useful. It's probably not entirely incorrect that MSKCC and MDA are the two top comprehensive cancer centers in the US, and that both are acutely aware of their own ranking, and furthermore that it's a tool that both use to improve themselves.

However, beyond that, it's just senseless. Example: What's the top Dermpath fellowship in the US?
Is it:
A) NYU (where most current Top Guns have trained)
B) Ackerman Academy (largest US program)
C) UCSF (most active in research)
D) MGH (most stable faculty), or
E) Someplace else?

Basically, and for various reasons, all of the above makes no sense whatsoever. So when choosing Residency (to the degree that you have a choice), visit the different places, and choose the one that you feel best about, and where you have a real shot at being accepted. It's a weird aspect of the American psyche that so many has such a desire to "rank" everything and everybody. But life isn't entirely one long ballgame, where the winner, runner-up and overall loser will always be found.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really think harvard, princeton, and yale are the true top universities? Do they make people better students, better citizens, etc? .

Yes for sure they do. IF you look at the fortune 500 CEOs and big time politicians, a disproporionate amount come from those places (esp Harvard).

Yes for sure they do. IF you look at the fortune 500 CEOs and big time politicians, a disproporionate amount come from those places (esp Harvard).

And we all know that CEOs and politicians are the best role models:eek:

Actually, once read that there's been a Yalie on every presidential election ticket for more than 30 years, except once, methinks.

However, I do doubt that similar stats can be convincingly reproduced in medicine. Don't seem to recall a valid argument that graduating from xyz medical school will increase your chances of NIH/HHMI funding, Lasker prizes or becoming a Nobel laureate. (although success obviously has many fathers, esp. when it comes to Nobelians - ANY affiliation is counted as "having a Nobel laureate")

BTW: Trivial knowledge of the day. Did y'guys know, that Swedish citizenship is automatically offered to all Nobel laureates? Wonder how many has taken the offer... hehe

No for sure they don't. This is the endless argument about whether the institution is responsible for the success of its graduates, or the graduates are responsible for the prestige of the university. The institution doesn't make them who they are.

If you want to keep ranking things and worshiping that altar, go ahead, see where it gets you.

I’m really beginning to question this forum, its like a bunch of spoiled kids arguing about nothing, maybe we should call it path "teen chat" unreal:luck:

Ranking discussions are, almost invariably, nonsensical, especially as you try to measure up increasingly specialized and different subgroups.

It can be argued, that undergrad "top 10/15, whatever, vs. the rest" rankings can be useful to some largely unquantifiable degree in measuring undergrad colleges. Same applies, probably more so, in regard to law schools.
As you move to medical schools, rankings matter less, because unlike law schools, there's a fairly comprehensive minimum bar (LCME accreditation).

In hospitals, rankings can sometimes also be useful. It's probably not entirely incorrect that MSKCC and MDA are the two top comprehensive cancer centers in the US, and that both are acutely aware of their own ranking, and furthermore that it's a tool that both use to improve themselves.

However, beyond that, it's just senseless. Example: What's the top Dermpath fellowship in the US?
Is it:
A) NYU (where most current Top Guns have trained)
B) Ackerman Academy (largest US program)
C) UCSF (most active in research)
D) MGH (most stable faculty), or
E) Someplace else?

Basically, and for various reasons, all of the above makes no sense whatsoever. So when choosing Residency (to the degree that you have a choice), visit the different places, and choose the one that you feel best about, and where you have a real shot at being accepted. It's a weird aspect of the American psyche that so many has such a desire to "rank" everything and everybody. But life isn't entirely one long ballgame, where the winner, runner-up and overall loser will always be found.

Ditto.

Oh one more thing...I wouldn't say that right now the dermpath faculty at MGH is the most stable. They have a new chair and there is a shakeup there.

Ditto.

Oh one more thing...I wouldn't say that right now the dermpath faculty at MGH is the most stable. They have a new chair and there is a shakeup there.

Well, that was sortof one of my points :D The legions of Top Guns who trained at NYU were there with Bernie, and while Kamino's a very good DP, I, for one, simply can't understand her English - which I feel would be a slight disadvantage when doing a full fellowship. Similar reservations can be made about the other entries on the list (including MGH, for said reasons).

Point is, that a qualitative assesment would invariably be subjective, while a quantitative assesment would overweight historical data, and thus will be unlikely to reflect the current strengths and weaknesses of a program (this would of course apply to ANY Residency/Fellowship program. I am not aware of any program in any specialty in the US that would be able to claim total dominance - but then again, I most likely wouldn't care either).

...Which reminds me of the high reputation accorded the Princeton University School of Law, and sometimes even the exellent reputation of the Princeton School of Medicine.... Of course disregarding the fact that Princeton has neither....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_Law_School

Yeah, Princeton has a pretty good space exploration program too.

Hmmm... I find it disturbing that a Super Moderator would post in the wrong forum. Space exploration issues surely belong in the psych forum!? :smuggrin:

Hmmm... I find it disturbing that a Super Moderator would post in the wrong forum. Space exploration issues surely belong in the psych forum!? :smuggrin:
Ok totally off topic but psych and space related.

Some Psych doc is teaching us MSIII about depression, but we don't remember SIG E CAPS. And he suggests how it is supposed to be directions to take energy capsules, but none of us are used to sig = directions.

So he says "Well why else would it be SIG E CAPS... why not SPACE GIs?"

I said " Why not SPACE GIs, they would get pretty depressed floating around out in the dark, fighting wars....":smuggrin:

Sorry totally off topic.