Native Canadian (Aboriginal) seeking advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premed_emu

premed Canadian
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I'm in second year at a university in Canada (not saying which, to be anonymous). I am first nations (Native & recognized by CDN gvt) and I have a couple of questions.
Currently my GPA is 3.5, i'm hoping to bring it up to 3.6 or 3.7 by the end of my undergraduate degree and I have not attempted the MCAT yet.

I'm really involved in my community and have done a lot of volunteering (well over 1000 hours for multiple organizations also outside of my community) and I have been published more than once but for publications not related to aboriginal health.

I am really interested in going into rural health to help aboriginal communities.

I was wondering in your opinion(s) if I should even apply to medical school given how low my GPA is?

I ALSO was wondering if there would be a point to applying in the United States? I don't have american citizenship and I don't think they would even look at my application given my low GPA but many people are encouraging me to apply even with low chances.

What do you think? I'm aiming for a masters right now which I also hope I have an okay chance at!

Sorry for the general information, trying to keep this as anonymous as possible!
 
You should apply to Canadian schools and you should apply for 3-5 years before giving up or considering US schools (which are expensive and there's no guarantee you will be able to get licensed in Canada). 3.5 is not really "low", it's borderline. You'd have a chance getting in through regular admissions, and an even better chance getting accepted at universities who allow First Nations to apply under a separate category.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should apply to Canadian schools and you should apply for 3-5 years before giving up or considering US schools (which are expensive and there's no guarantee you will be able to get licensed in Canada). 3.5 is not really "low", it's borderline. You'd have a chance getting in through regular admissions, and an even better chance getting accepted at universities who allow First Nations to apply under a separate category.
thank you so so much, i really appreciate it!!
 
No problem. I can't speak to your applying to US schools, and I realize Canada only has 17 med schools, but down here, with a 3.5 GPA and as a Native American, you would have no trouble getting in. I'm not sure whether being an international citizen would affect or impact your URM boost, that's why I suggested contacting adcoms about that.

If I were you, I'd apply MD first, then apply to Masters degree programs 😉.

If you're only considering science-related Masters programs to bump up your GPA, note graduate GPAs are not factored in with your college or BCPM GPA.

If your intended Masters degree is unrelated to medicine, public health, or science, be prepared to defend your decision when you are finally ready to apply to med school. It may look like you aren't committed to this path.
 
If you are in Ontario I would highly suggest applying to NOSM. There is a very large population of first nations peoples in northern ontario/sudbury (where the school is), and I think that your background and aspirations would make you competitive at this school. I also believe they would be OK with the GPA that you have.