Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to be starting med school in the fall, and am very interested in surgery, but today had a very odd experience that has me a bit wigged out. My husband was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma last week, and had to go in to have the tissue surrounding the tumor excised today. Like the psycho med-student-to-be I was really psyched to go and watch the procedure to see what it was like (not that I was expecting that much excitement, the tumor was pretty small). Once in the exam room, the dermatologist prepped him while I stood there watching and holding his hand. The scalpel came out and started cutting, and I was watching and asking questions when all of a sudden I felt nautious, started sweating and eventually had to sit down before I passed out right there on the floor! How embarassing! The weird thing is, I wasn't emotionally stressed about this, had been looking forward to watching, and was intellectually involved in the procedure, but I felt like my physical body had mutanied and was just going to have none of that! This is something that I totally wasn't expecting! Yes, this is the first time I'd actually watched a surgical procedure being done (as small as it was), but its not the first time I've been around cuts, copious amounts of blood, and other sundry medical unpleasantness, even with someone I'm close to.
I guess my question is: has this happened to other people who are experiencing surgery for the first time? If so, how do you get over it? Is it an exposure/desensitization issue? I'll tell you, its not simply a mind over matter thing...my mind was working just fine, was telling my body to relax and be good, but my body was just not going to behave no matter what I told it, until I removed it from the situation. Am I going to have to give up surgery as a potential life-path simply because my parasympathetic nervous system won't behave? Somebody give me some hope here!
I guess my question is: has this happened to other people who are experiencing surgery for the first time? If so, how do you get over it? Is it an exposure/desensitization issue? I'll tell you, its not simply a mind over matter thing...my mind was working just fine, was telling my body to relax and be good, but my body was just not going to behave no matter what I told it, until I removed it from the situation. Am I going to have to give up surgery as a potential life-path simply because my parasympathetic nervous system won't behave? Somebody give me some hope here!