Navigating the last months of fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BExpressive

Reaction score
I am in the last months of my fellowship and in November, I had interviewed for a position at a teaching hospital. It was for a position that really does not exist yet (in primary care) but the person I was interviewing with said there is room in their seperate outpatient office if that doesnt pan out. I thought it was great either way. My current supervisors didnt think so and were wary.

Because the new position wanted someone to start as soon as the position was created, I accepted a verbal offer and let them know that I would consider leaving my fellowship early to come work for them. They said great.

I've been working on filling out credentialing forms and other paperwork, getting references, etc. I had emailed the person who interviewed me for an update about the position and what he may have had in mind for a start date.

He said he does not know, and that my supervisors either seem to be upset that I am leaving early or feel I am not doing well based on their lukewarm/negative references. This was news to me as of course I had gotten feedback to improve in a few areas but no feeling that I was doing poorly.

The thing is, I have not told my current supervisors that I am considering leaving early. I'm afraid they now know because of conversations they may have had with the person checking my references, who works in medical staff services. I may not be considered for the job any longer but I have not heard from the person who interviewed me, as he was wanting to call and speak to my supervisors personally.

My question is, how do I handle this? I will admit to wanting to leave early if they ask. But I also want to know what they put in my reference letter that points to them being upset or giving negative references about me. If they're upset, that's an egregious mistake they've made to let their emotions color their review of my performance. I would appreciate any direction.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, one mistake was to not have an upfront conversation with your current site about this job and the possibility of leaving early when you made that decision, for a host of reasons. It may be time to schedule a meeting and to air everything out to see if some of this mess can be fixed.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, one mistake was to not have an upfront conversation with your current site about this job and the possibility of leaving early when you made that decision, for a host of reasons. It may be time to schedule a meeting and to air everything out to see if some of this mess can be fixed.

Well the thing is that they've been encouraging me to apply to jobs and let them know about my job search, so that's what I've been doing. Obviously in retrospect, yes, I should have not said anything about the interview and how it went, just like any other job. But it was always known that I was going to leave after fellowship and they wanted to be supportive in the search, even sending me job announcements. And with asking for references, it would come out that I had interviewed. I had never told them I was leaving early, I had only told the potential employer I would consider it for the job. I am meeting with them today.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Go to the supervisor, be direct. Tell them you are afraid you offended them. Ask what you can do to make it right.

2) I promise you, hospitals are more than experienced with doctors arguing with each other.

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the last months of my fellowship and in November, I had interviewed for a position at a teaching hospital.
When you say last months, where are you at exactly? "Last months" could mean a lot of different things.

This was news to me as of course I had gotten feedback to improve in a few areas but no feeling that I was doing poorly.
How serious was the feedback? Any possibility that your current supervisors felt that these were more serious weaknesses than you perceived?

But it was always known that I was going to leave after fellowship and they wanted to be supportive in the search, even sending me job announcements. And with asking for references, it would come out that I had interviewed. I had never told them I was leaving early, I had only told the potential employer I would consider it for the job. I am meeting with them today.

This may be part of the problem. Although they were aware that you would leave after the fellowship, it probably was part of their understanding that you would not be leaving before it ended. I don't know what type of fellowship position you are in, or how long the commitment was for, but my fellowship was on the formal side. It would have been a big deal if I had verbally committed to taking position prior to finishing my fellowship commitment and not communicated this to my supervisors. It would have been perceived as incredibly unprofessional behavior. But, as I said, I was in a formal fellowship in a hospital setting with somewhat conservative attitude. Although this may not apply to you, just as importantly, I would also not have acquired the hours necessary to be license eligible in my state of residence if I had not completed my fellowship. So you may want to verify this doesn't apply to you.

The thing is, I have not told my current supervisors that I am considering leaving early. I'm afraid they now know because of conversations they may have had with the person checking my references, who works in medical staff services. I may not be considered for the job any longer but I have not heard from the person who interviewed me, as he was wanting to call and speak to my supervisors personally.

My question is, how do I handle this? I will admit to wanting to leave early if they ask. But I also want to know what they put in my reference letter that points to them being upset or giving negative references about me. If they're upset, that's an egregious mistake they've made to let their emotions color their review of my performance. I would appreciate any direction.

We have only a very limited amount of information, but from what you have said, I think it would be an error to assume that the mistake is on the side of your supervisors. I think your best bet is to approach your supervisor and be completely honest (and also incredibly apologetic). Even if the current offer falls through or doesn't work out, you will need your postdoc supervisor on your side. So I would be contrite, and ask them how they think you can best make the situation right. And then do whatever it is that they suggest. I think the absolute worst thing you could do is be defensive or accusatory here. Again, remember, you will need your postdoc supervisor not only for future references for employers, but at least in my state you will need them to verify your qualifications in order to be licensed.

Reactions: 1 user