Navy Child Psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

mikematto

Does anyone know if the Navy offers a child and adolescent psychiatry fellowship? Or does anyone know if the Navy offers the combined adult/child psych program (which makes for a five year residency instead of a four year residency for adult psych and a two year fellowship for child and adolescent psych).

I was told that the Army offers a combined residency program, but I wasn't sure if this was something the Navy offered as well.

Any info/links on this would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

The Navy is alloted spots in the Army's Child Psych program depending on balancing the needs of all three services. Otherwise, the Navy will out source to a civilian fellowship to meet needs. With the current blood-letting in the pediatrics community within the Navy (58 billets chopped for FY-05), I would not anticipate being allowed to do Child-psych on the Navy's dime. I'm not convinced doing Peds on the Navy's dime is likely to happen for much longer. Donald Rumsfeld's opinion, and thus current policy, is that peds can be sent out into the local community. Hence the large drawdown in force size. (I'm not a pediatrician, so this is IMO only from watching the current practices at the Naval Hospital)