NAVY Dental Reserve

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnsyudds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope I can get some advice through this thread.

I am a practicing, young DDS (class of 2007) and was looking to join the Navy Reserve as a part-time DDS. I have my own private practice, but was looking to pay off more debt by joining the Navy Reserve.

The part-time position entails: 3 year commitment, 2 week training each year, monthly health insurance benefit for entire family ($190/month), very generous signing bonus, access to military base/BX/comissary/hotels/bungalows, officer salary (based on O-4 rank), and working only one weekend (16 hours) per month.

My only concern is being deployed. My recruiter mentioned that it is absolutely not possible to be deployed during the first 2 and a half years. But within the last 6 months of the 3 year commitment, there is a possiblity of being deployed only if a re-commitment is made beyond the 3 years. So, basically, my recruiter said that if my goal is to only serve a 3 year commitment and call it quits, then there is no chance of being deployed. Is this true??? Because being deployed is my only roadblock from joining the Reserve. Also, how common is it for inactive reserve to be deployed? Apparently, after calling it quits, I would be considered Inactive Reserve for 5 years.

Also, are there any part-time NAVY Reserve dentists who can chime in about their experiences??

Members don't see this ad.

I hope I can get some advice through this thread.

I am a practicing, young DDS (class of 2007) and was looking to join the Navy Reserve as a part-time DDS. I have my own private practice, but was looking to pay off more debt by joining the Navy Reserve.

The part-time position entails: 3 year commitment, 2 week training each year, monthly health insurance benefit for entire family ($190/month), very generous signing bonus, access to military base/BX/comissary/hotels/bungalows, officer salary (based on O-4 rank), and working only one weekend (16 hours) per month.

My only concern is being deployed. My recruiter mentioned that it is absolutely not possible to be deployed during the first 2 and a half years. But within the last 6 months of the 3 year commitment, there is a possiblity of being deployed only if a re-commitment is made beyond the 3 years. So, basically, my recruiter said that if my goal is to only serve a 3 year commitment and call it quits, then there is no chance of being deployed. Is this true??? Because being deployed is my only roadblock from joining the Reserve. Also, how common is it for inactive reserve to be deployed? Apparently, after calling it quits, I would be considered Inactive Reserve for 5 years.

Also, are there any part-time NAVY Reserve dentists who can chime in about their experiences??

I'm not in the Navy Reserve, but I find it very hard to believe that the Navy would give you a bonus for a 3 year commitment where you are considered non-deployable for over 80% of your commitment. Did the recruiter say why you would be non-deployable for those 2.5 years? Will it be written into your contract? I would be skeptical of that claim, and if I were you, I would go into this commitment expecting to be vulnerable to deployment for the entire period of active reserve service. That being said, it is very possible that you might spend 3 years in the Reserve, and not deploy at all. Luck of the draw. As for your inactive ready reserve (IRR) commitment, short of a huge national emergency (World War III), your chances of being involuntarily activated and deployed during that time are essentially zero. By the way, if you are that worried about the possibility of being deployed, you probably should not join the military in any capacity.

I agree with Del Sol. There is always a chance of being deployed. You can apply for hardship, but I don't see the point in joining if you're going to do that. I think the guarantee of non-deployment is a ploy, but is plausible. You need to get some experience in a military dental setting and from what I gather from some places, you may only get that during your 2 week training period. You need to be familiar with the forms and protocols of the military.

If you are in a partnership or group practice, then the risk of losing your practice isn't there as it is for me. I'm solo, I can't afford to deploy and I don't trust that my colleagues would be there for me if I deployed, thus I haven't joined the reserve. I'd love to, but just can't.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you deploy? Probably not, you'd most likely be spending your time doing T-2 exams when active. Could you be deployed? Yep.
Tell that to the periodontist I had at Great Lakes who lost his general practice in Desert Storm. He stayed in and specialized because he had nothing to go back to. That being said, there are groups of dentists who will work to keep your practice afloat if you deploy. The problem is that many patients will get antsy about your return after 6-8 months.

We helped keep a practice open for a dentist who had a stroke. Several of us worked 1 day/week to keep it going for almost a year. Patients started jumping ship at about 8 months.

Tell that to the periodontist I had at Great Lakes who lost his general practice in Desert Storm. He stayed in and specialized because he had nothing to go back to. That being said, there are groups of dentists who will work to keep your practice afloat if you deploy. The problem is that many patients will get antsy about your return after 6-8 months.

We helped keep a practice open for a dentist who had a stroke. Several of us worked 1 day/week to keep it going for almost a year. Patients started jumping ship at about 8 months.

As I said, you could be deployed. The current situation is that it would not be likely.

I have heard that they will put this in writing but only for a 2 year period, not 2.5. Additionally, I also understand this is only given to those who have already served on AD in the Navy dental corps and even then it's just for the first 2 years. So, if you haven't served on AD in the past or it has been more than 2 years since you got out, this isn't available. It may also be important to recognize that they call it "activation" not deployment. You will be guaranteed not to get "activated". Lastly, unlike active duty, should you get activated from the Reserves you will be gone for over a year, not just 6-8 months. I see the reserves as a good option for someone who is an employee dentist, not a business owner. It is also helpful for dentists who are in a 2 year residency program assuming they entered immediately after their active duty obligation

I am a practicing dentist and currently looking into Naval reserve. I wonder what the interview process is like and the volume of actual dental procedure one would be doing during each drill. Thanks in advance.