1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Navy GME1 logistics question

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by Aberfly, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Aberfly

Aberfly Member
    7+ Year Member

Now that results have been posted, might as well ask some practical questions. Navy says they will send a letter in January about moving, when we start, pay, etc. Anybody who has been through their internship want to give us a heads up on this? Does the Navy help you move? When do Navy internships start? Any info would be appreciated. If it helps, I'll be in San Diego (not my first choice but oh well).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mirror Form

Mirror Form Thyroid Storm
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As soon as you receive your "orders" in the mail, you'll be able to arrange for movers to come move you at the navy's expense. You could also do a "Do It Yourself Move" (aka DITY), where the navy reimburses you for expenses, but thats not great b/c you barely break even and it's a huge hassle. If you don't call early enough, you might not be able to find any movers available and be forced to do a DITY.

4. orbitsurgMD

orbitsurgMD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, I did a DITY once, and to make it financially worthwhile, I had to do it in a day, DC to VA Beach. The biggest nuisance was getting empty and loaded truck weights and dealing with traffic to the truck scales and back. After that experience, I made the mental note to always let the Navy move me, no matter how much I thought I could save otherwise.

5. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Be nice to the movers....they can make your move real easy or not.

6. Mirror Form

Mirror Form Thyroid Storm
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, if you care about your stuff, I've heard that it helps to have some free pizza and soda for them.

7. SquidDoc

SquidDoc Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have had movers doing my moves in the Navy 5 times now. Everytime things go super smooth, and a six pack of coke seems to go a long way. I have never done a DITY move, but had a friend do a move from San Diego to VA and made somewhere around $1000 in his pocket by the end of the trip.