Aberfly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2002
Visit site
Status
Now that results have been posted, might as well ask some practical questions. Navy says they will send a letter in January about moving, when we start, pay, etc. Anybody who has been through their internship want to give us a heads up on this? Does the Navy help you move? When do Navy internships start? Any info would be appreciated. If it helps, I'll be in San Diego (not my first choice but oh well).

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Aberfly said:
Now that results have been posted, might as well ask some practical questions. Navy says they will send a letter in January about moving, when we start, pay, etc. Anybody who has been through their internship want to give us a heads up on this? Does the Navy help you move? When do Navy internships start? Any info would be appreciated. If it helps, I'll be in San Diego (not my first choice but oh well).
As soon as you receive your "orders" in the mail, you'll be able to arrange for movers to come move you at the navy's expense. You could also do a "Do It Yourself Move" (aka DITY), where the navy reimburses you for expenses, but thats not great b/c you barely break even and it's a huge hassle. If you don't call early enough, you might not be able to find any movers available and be forced to do a DITY.

orbitsurgMD

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Sledge2005 said:
As soon as you receive your "orders" in the mail, you'll be able to arrange for movers to come move you at the navy's expense. You could also do a "Do It Yourself Move" (aka DITY), where the navy reimburses you for expenses, but thats not great b/c you barely break even and it's a huge hassle. If you don't call early enough, you might not be able to find any movers available and be forced to do a DITY.
Yeah, I did a DITY once, and to make it financially worthwhile, I had to do it in a day, DC to VA Beach. The biggest nuisance was getting empty and loaded truck weights and dealing with traffic to the truck scales and back. After that experience, I made the mental note to always let the Navy move me, no matter how much I thought I could save otherwise.

About the Ads

militarymd

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Be nice to the movers....they can make your move real easy or not.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
militarymd said:
Be nice to the movers....they can make your move real easy or not.
Yeah, if you care about your stuff, I've heard that it helps to have some free pizza and soda for them.

SquidDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2005
Canton, OH
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have had movers doing my moves in the Navy 5 times now. Everytime things go super smooth, and a six pack of coke seems to go a long way. I have never done a DITY move, but had a friend do a move from San Diego to VA and made somewhere around $1000 in his pocket by the end of the trip.

About the Ads