NAVY-GMO Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCOMLover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm strongly considering doing the Navy Branch scholarship but i was unclear about the GMO part. Do you have to do a GMO tour. The recruiter was telling me that the only way you would have to is if you don't get picked up in the Navy or Civilian match. I just want to know from persons that are already in the scholarship or have done it...do you have to do a GMO tour? And what are the chances that you'll have to service on the tour?

Members don't see this ad.

It is very very likely that you will have to do a GMO tour with the Navy scholarship. There is lots of info on this topic in the Military Medicine forum of this site.

VCOMLover said:
I'm strongly considering doing the Navy Branch scholarship but i was unclear about the GMO part. Do you have to do a GMO tour. The recruiter was telling me that the only way you would have to is if you don't get picked up in the Navy or Civilian match. I just want to know from persons that are already in the scholarship or have done it...do you have to do a GMO tour? And what are the chances that you'll have to service on the tour?

I was a Navy Corpsman for 6 years, and every Doc I worked with and or spoke with did a GMO tour or more. Take everything a recruiter has to say with a grain of salt. The Navy scholarship is not a bad deal, but once you are in, you are theirs. A saying you will here a lot is "the needs of the Navy..." The travel and perks of being a medical officer is pretty good, but keep searching for information on the topic so you are completely informed.

VCOMLover said:

Listen to previous posters. Very high likelihood that you will HAVE to do GMO tour. You may want to check out the military forum (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=72) regarding this.

Wook