Navy HPSP Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lenub

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question concerning Navy HPSP residency repayment requirements. I have read a few posts on the forums that have spoken to this issue. Would I be correct in thinking that the repayment for most residencies is concurrent with repayment for med school? The notable exceptions being specialized (long) residencies such as neuro surgery.

I am interested in Emergency Medicine. Does anybody know the details of Navy Emergency Medicine Residencies? (locations, availability, competition, repayment requirements.)

How does the residency repayment issue figure into the GMO or Operational time that seems to be a given for new Navy docs?

Members don't see this ad.

Repayment runs concurrently with your residency time. You do a four-year deal and a three-year residency. You owe seven years total. However, three years of HPSP obligation are subtracted because you did three years in residency. Kinda complicated but that's how they do it.

The Navy adds a year to your obligation if you do a Navy residency, unlike the Army and the Air Force. (That's what I heard from the recruiter, at least.)

Where things get weird is if you do a five-year residency. Then you owe four the fifth year, too. Therefore, in Army and Air Force:

4-year HPSP=4 years debt
5-year res=5 years debt
during res. your HPSP is repaid but you add those five years to your debt:

4-4+5=5 years owed to the all branches. Add on the final total for the Navy.

The Navy has yet to phase out GMOs. You stand a resonable chance of doing two years of payback as a GMO before you get to do your residency. I'd look into the USAF first, then the Army, before I went Navy. If you want to talk more, e-mail me. I expect this thread to come alive with name-calling and I may not have the patience to sit through it all again.

Good luck,

D

Does anyone have the address where I may apply for one of these repayment options? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
PB,

I've noted elsewhere that you are a student at UAG. For that reason, I believe that HSPSs are not available to you as they are only for students at LCME accredited schools.

Hope this helps.

I found a navy website that helps to answer a few questions. http://nshs.med.navy.mil
Go to the GME section.

In general you will be paying more time because of residency. There are situations where you pay more time back than others. I found that the recruiter that I spoke to was not forthcoming about some of this information because I did not ask the right questions. Do your homework on the issue.

EM is avail at San Diego and Portsmouth Naval. Portsmouth is not a level I trauma center. I do not know San Diego's status.

If you want to do a military EM res, you will need to become a flight surgeon,GMO, or undersea medical officer.

Initially interested in this specialty, myself. These programs prepare you well but the acuity is not as high as in an inner city or big academic program. Didactics are excellent. Experience is limited. OB patients go to the labor deck. Ortho is not generally handled by the ER. MI's are sent out to Norfolk (across the river). That leaves you with ped's (Otitis,shunt infection), IM (Cards, Nephrology, Codes, Pulm, etc), and Surgical patients. You will also have to compete with interns, sub-i's for patients.