Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Navy HPSP "School Orders"

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by Spang, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Spang

Spang SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Anyone done "School Orders" in their second year. I've got my orders and they say to check in at the Reserve Center on X date. What's involved in the check-in procedure and how long does it take?

Thanks,

Spang

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Navy Dive Doc

Navy Dive Doc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My nearby reserve center didn't have a clue what to do for me, and I had no prior service to realize that often the YNs just need to be told what to do. Fortunately, there was another student prior line officer who helped a lot. You should have no problem as you've done all this before. Anyway, I went to the center, got my orders stamped, left, came back 45 days later and did the same thing. 30 minutes on each end after the inital flail. You'll likely need to do partial school orders again during 3rd and 4th year as well, since student rotations are 30 days and the AT is 45. I always just did the 2 weeks extra as school orders, though looking back I culd have made better use of the time, probably.
    Bottom line, it shouldn't be a big deal or time waste.

4. met19

met19 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When you are on school orders do you need to be in uniform for the first and last day (when you check in)? Also you mentioned that you reserve center did not have a clue. Any advice how to clarify those types of situations?

5. Spang

Spang SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

I don't know if you "need" to be or not, sorry. I was in uniform, but I am prior active duty and just need to replace my collar devices and dust off my brown shoes with the inside of my piss-cutter. Good as new!!

I went to the reserve center and there was one YN in the admin office. Everyone else was playing basketball. I showed her where to stamp my orders and high-tailed it out of there. 45 days later I did the same. Also got paid for mileage each way. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can sell back the 4 days of leave I earned!

Spang

6. bobbyseal

bobbyseal Boat boy
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I didn't wear a uniform when I went there to check in.

Last time, I didn't even go. I just called up and said, "This is ENS so and so checking in for my school orders." I got the person's name and said very well.

I wrote the person's name down on my orders and then did the same thing 45 days later.

7. DaveB

DaveB Slave to The Man
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your leave should automatically get cashed in.... It should show up on your pay stub sometime a few weeks after your AT is complete - at least thats the way it was with both ATs I've done.

8. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

What did you fly?

9. Spang

Spang SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

CODs (C-2's), VRC-40 east coast and C-12s out of Key West. You?

10. Apollyon

Apollyon Screw the GST
    Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Eyes went bad in 7th grade - avoided a commission to apply to med school (from VMI) - now, I think I have a disqualifying aortic valvular condition to even get commissioned, much less flight surgeon.