Navy HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RunwayModel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find information on this topic and since I have not been able to find an answer, here is my question:

Many of you are well aware of the Navy HPSP. My question is when you sign up for it, and get all the payments for medical school and you apply for the early military match, if you do not match, do you automatically have to go for a civilian residency or does the branch say that you have to do a GMO year and apply next year? (big run-on, i know). I have tried asking many and as usual it is hard to get the hard truth. Any answers/ help is appreciated. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

First, in the Navy you will match in an intership program, than after finishing your first year you have to re-apply in order to continue your GME-2 in Peds, Meds etc. But in many of the most wanted specialties you will have to do a GMO in order to get in.

Second, you cannot do a civilian residency unless the Navy decides to give you a full deferment. They are usually very scarce and availability correlates with the needs of the Navy in terms of trained physicians on certain specialties.

I'd like to clarify what Perez said.

You can ask for a 1 year deferment for your internship year. From what I can gather this is granted to pretty much whoever wants it. Then you would do your GMO tour of 1-3 years, depending on billet and location.

While in your GMO billet you apply for residency (GME2+), which includes the option of requesting Full-Time Outservice (FTOS). This is NOT the same as a full deferment. You are still on the Navy dime but train at a civilian residency, then return to the Navy for your payback. This IS a way for the Navy to train docs in specialties where there programs lack enought spots to meet their fleet demands. A good example is urology right now in the Navy. Their Portsmouth program is closed and I think there's one spot in SD. So to meet the future demand they're sending post-GMOs to do FTOS for training (one of them is at my school.)

Hope that clears up the difference between full deferment and FTOS. Also there's FAP, but that's another story!

Spang

Members don't see this ad :)
can you elaborate on what you know about FAP?
I have been trying to get some insight from either those in the program or those that know about it. I would like to know what residency options one has? thanks

spang,

apreciate the info.

what other specialties are available for FTOS?

These two links are to the results of the "military match" from this year and show who was selected for what training and where. Look for "FTOS", meaning full time outservice,and the specialty you might be interested is in the column before it. "ALT" means selected as an alternate, which is a another subject altogether. "USM" is undersea medicine (dive docs) and "FS" is flight surgeon. The rest of the abreviations are self-explanatory.

http://www.bupers.navy.mil/navadmin/nav03/nav03332a.txt
http://www.bupers.navy.mil/navadmin/nav03/nav03332b.txt

Hope this helps.

Spang

One important thing to note is that you will see a number of residencies and fellowships in which a couple of folks are listed as "alt ftos" BUT no one is listed as selected ftos. Essentially, what they are saying is that they like you but they have no slots. Just don't let those alternate selections convince you that outservice is going to happen. Check out the Allergy selections for a good illustration of this.

I was reading some more about HPSP and would like a couple of clarifications:

1) Does the stipend not increase if you have a dependent(s)?

2) Does the HPSP stuff not include insurance coverage other than while on ADT?

If these are true, then I don't see the point in HPSP to save money. You end up having to get a loan to support your dependents and buy insurance anyways. I wanted to serve, but not if I will be unable to support myself and my family.

I'm almost positive that the stipend does not increase even if you have dependents. Everyone gets the same. Anyone else care to chime in. It's been a long time since I was a med student.

As far as the health care....you are only eligible when you are active duty....as a student in an inactive status, you are not eligible for anything.

I believe there are insurance benefits when on ADT. I am applying for HPSP through the Army and Air Force. The Army told me they will pay $1000 towards my school's insurance policy as long as it is required, and the Air Force will pay the entire thing (for one person, no dependents if you have them...) The health insurance is one reason why I'm leaning towards AF. I don't know anything about the Navy and insurance while on HPSP.

When I went through Navy HPSP, the Navy paid for whatever medical insurance policy was required by the medical school. The stipend does not vary for dependents or location in the US. Mine barely covered my rent, let alone anything else.
I've also heard there is a total dollar cap now on HPSP money. Can anyone confirm or deny? Thanks
DD

Originally posted by JKDMed
I was reading some more about HPSP and would like a couple of clarifications:

1) Does the stipend not increase if you have a dependent(s)?

2) Does the HPSP stuff not include insurance coverage other than while on ADT?

If these are true, then I don't see the point in HPSP to save money. You end up having to get a loan to support your dependents and buy insurance anyways. I wanted to serve, but not if I will be unable to support myself and my family.

1) no

2) HPSP will cover single student coverage required by your school.

yes, you have to take out loan support to live on and buy insurance, etc etc. in the end you still owe less than your average student. monetarily you'll be able to support your family (you still won;t need loans for 100% of your living expenses 1k or so per month ain't much but it's better than nothing, lol), and during residency you'll make more than a civilian resident. but again, and most importantly you should never do HPSP for the money only. it's not worth it for $$$ alone.

what are the disadvantages of doing the navy hpsp?

Check out the thread, "viewpoint" above. it's so important that the ol' super moderator put a sticky on it.

Yes, you do. Full pay and allowances while on FTOS but NOT if you're on a full deferral.

Spang

FTOS - paid by military, not by civilain programs. Still on active duty, hence all of your time counts toward retirment/promotion.

Full Deferral - paid by civilian programs. On inactive status, no time toward retirement/promotion.

Much better said, Scott!

Joe