Navy Medical Corps Osteopathic Docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healthwonk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year osteopathic med student on a Navy HPSP scholarship. I'm curious if there are any osteopathic Navy docs out there who wouldn't mind sharing some of their experiences; specifically, I'm curious as to the extent I will be able to incorporate/use OMM in my practice. Does anyone have a read on how integrated (if at all) OMM can be with Navy/military GME+2 primary care programs? Do any active-duty osteopathic docs out there currently practice OMM? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a DO but I have seem many DO and MDs in the military. To my knowledge, there is not really any difference since all military residencies are allo, which MD/DO both compete for. I have never seen a DO doc use OMM in the military or in the outside world. I've only heard of a feww Dos that use it. Most civilian DO docs chose not to do OMM simply because most insurance does not cover it.

A couple of my colleagues with the Marines incorporate OMM into their practice including scheduling specific OMM appointment times for patients. Another one who is also a DO, however doesn't touch OMM... essentially they do as much (or little) as they want to do and are comfortable with and there is no SOP (that I know of) in the operational medicine community that credentials / regulates it. Can't speak for the residency / hopspital / board certified side of the house.

Members don't see this ad :)
i used OMM while deployed (back pain is probably 50% of complaints) and occasionally in clinic, but i do not have "OMM only" patient visits. it generates RVU's, and is a credentialed skill as staff here i believe. it is nice adjunct with especially the sports medicine crowd. i mainly do T/L spine HVLA and ME and myofascial stuff. no craniosacral :rolleyes: and no (because i'm out of practice) cervical HVLA.

--your friendly neighborhood voodoo performing caveman

I'm Army, and just a wee 'ole intern, but I have certainly seen OMM used at my MEDCEN, especially among the PM&R docs. I still use it on the occassional patient that I think will benefit from it (or, when I feel bored, and in need of practice). Somatic dysfunctions and osteopathic manipulation are both in AHLTA for coding purposes, and its fun to throw those in there and have attendings give you the googley eyes ("What the hell is Still's technique?").