Navy Ois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mikeS said:
I'll be there in the July class. You will have to let us know how it goes.

Me and another UVM classmate will be there as well....should be fun!

Members don't see this ad.

buglady have you been able to contact anyone to make sure we do not have to do anything with our records?

I am going to OIS in a couple of days, how does one get from TF Green Airport to the base, and where does one go after that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Commercial airlines fly to Providence. Commercial ground travel must then be arranged to Newport. A 12-passenger van provides shuttle service every hour from T. F. Green (Providence) Airport to Newport for about $20. Taxi fare from the airport to Newport is approximately $65. No Navy transportation is available from the Providence Airport, which is the closest airport to the naval complex. You will be reimbursed for travel expenses, so save all of your receipts. If you are flying to Rhode Island ensure your recruiter or detaching command provide you with a Government Travel Request.

Ask the guards at the gate 1 exactly how to get to where you have to report. I think king Hall or something like that is the name of the building.

When you get to Gate 1, the guards will arrange a van to shuttle you to USS King Hall ;) ! There will be signs at King Hall instructing you were to check in. Most likely up on the 3rd floor at the Admin office.

Anyone got any pointers for the first couple of days at OIS? I know that they aren't going to be the most fun, but I've heard people say to sleep in your clothes the first night. Do they mean work out clothes? What else should I "plan" or prepare for on day 1? Thanks again :confused:

Two things: See the Navy HPSP site and view the most recent 'Fast Facts' to ease your concerns regarding your medical records. NMETC will have them there waiting for you. DO bring several copies of your orders (6?).
First night/morning: Be in a white tee-shirt and blue shorts of some sort, white athletic socks and GOOD running shoes. Most everyone slept in their PT clothes or could get into them w/in seconds. Ladies, have your hair neatly above the shoulders and guys be well shaven. You will be issued actual PT uniforms w/in the first few days. I would recommend making your bed as instructed in the OIS guide (I think can be found on-line) and YES bring a stright ruler and use it to measure folds, etc. My roomate brought extra sheets and we used them to cover ourselves and slept on top of the precisely measured beds. In the AM, stick the sheets into your closet. Be certain you bring a combo lock for your closet; an absolute must have. Your Red Ropers (those who will own you) will quitely :laugh: wake you around 4am and give you some time to get yourself ready (I believe it is exactly 2 min. to be up, have your teeth brushed, cleanly shaven, dressed and at attention in the passage way :D ).
Take a shower the night before and shave (guys, and I guess ladies as well) right before bed. This will save a lot of time in the early mornings. Steer clear of any smart-ass comments about the early time or the lack of time to get ready as this will only get you known the the 'Ropers, something you want to avoid.

This all seems somewhat intimidating. Will COT for the AF be like this?

NJEMT1 said:
This all seems somewhat intimidating. Will COT for the AF be like this?

It can't be nearly as bad as basic training for enlisted folks...just be glad you won't have a Marine drill instructor "instructing" you!

Don't be worried...it'll be fun. :D

I know it was asked but quick question about the graduation ceremony again...
Tell my fiance to come and spend the 200-300 to get there or save it for the wedding in the fall?

Save it for the wedding.

I did OIS a couple years ago. although it is a nice ceremony, I'm not really sure how important it is going to be in one's life long memories.

I'm heading to Newport for OIS in 3 weeks and I'm wondering what exactly we should bring (esp things not mentioned on the OIS website)?
Thanks a bunch

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like they pretty much nailed it on the website with what you need to take. Things may have changed a little since our class went through.. ..but what follows is my experience. The "new" OIS took care of needing much civilian clothing. I'd take some... but very little... I know our company didn't get much liberty last summer... and most of us stayed in uniform for the liberty we did get. I can't remember for sure, but I'd bet I wasn't off base out of uniform more than 2 or 3 times. I would take a few pair of casual/gym shorts and t's for lounging around at night and sleep (unless that has changed since I was there.) You might end up needing cleaning supplies for your room (depends on what's in the locker on your deck) but you can get all that at the exchange once you get there (ie swiffer, pledge, windex, paper towels, etc). I ended up picking up a lightweight blanket at the exchange as well so I didn't have to wake up early to mess with making the bed every morning.. every minute of sleep helped.. especially the first week. Make sure you've got GOOD running shoes that are broken in.. you're gonna be on your feet quite a bit. Most had cell phones instead of waiting for the payphone... sometimes service was ok... other times it wasn't. The uniform shop ran out of shoe polish (paste) and shine kits... wouldn't hurt to take your own, can of black and a can of white, brush, cloth. The last thing I can think of.. if you don't have your military ID... try and get it before you go.. some didn't have it before they got there and they waited quite a while to get it. If you can't, they'll probably see to it that you get it.. you'll just have to carry a copy of your orders around until you do.

Thank you for the info!!! A few more questions....

1- Any issues with wearing contacts during OIS?
2- Is it better to arrive at King Hall on Sat. night or Sunday?
3- What is the longest distance run during OIS?

Thank you again for the great info!!!!

-Jared

Not sure about contacts... I'm guessing it isn't a big deal.

As far as getting to King Hall... my flights got me into town later in the afternoon on the Sunday... and by the time I got checked in (LONG line at King Hall!)... it was already dinner time. I wish I had been there earlier... could have gone over to the exchange and gotten a few things... some people went ahead and got haircuts... stuff like that. I'd say the earlier you get there the more time you've got to settle in, (at least that's how it was for our class) but it doesn't really matter... you'll be fine either way.

Running... PT may have changed since my class went through last summer.. but I'd bet we never ran over 3 miles... and that was as a company, at a moderate pace.. probably only did that a few times. Most runs were around 1.5 miles. We usually broke into groups based on our pace and ran that way. Some PT days were circuit training, others were typical callisthenics and running. Test days were timed 1.5 mile runs and we probably did 2 or 3 tests the entire time we were there. On days without PT.. some of us went and ran in the evening or went to the gym (when allowed out of "training country" after the 1st week or so).

If you have any more questions... ask away... but ask soon... just finished Step 1 today and I'm heading out for vacation on Sat.

One more question- they say bring around 800 dollars to OIS for uniforms and food, etc. Do they have a check cashing place on base?

Within the first we got a chance to open an account at Navy Federal Credit Union and there is one next to the exchange with an ATM. When you're allowed to go will be up to your Company Officer or Red Roper. You probably won't be allowed for the first few days... or even week since it's out of training country. The uniform shop allowed us to open charge accounts so we didn't have to have that kind of cash on hand... not sure if they're still doing it. I think I had about $150.00 in cash on me. You'll have to pay for meals in lump sums (our company did 20 or 40 dollar increments) to a mess secretary in your company.. and meals aren't optional, at least not until very late in OIS. You'll have to have cash for haircuts and dry cleaning (as soon as your uniforms come in) as well.

I am here at OIS and things are about the same as they were last year. We have good days and really bad days. Today was a bad morning. We had a member of our company who wanted to be an individual and not a team player. So, we got thumped and had a 3 1/2 hour PT session straight. If you are not in good physical condition RUN NOW before you get here. Be prepared to stand around a lot the first week to get through medical and Indoc. Memorize those gerneral orders. The second week was pretty good with firefighting and damage control. If I could do it all over again I would bring more cleaning supplies and purchace at least 4 sets of PT gear at the unifrom store. Also when you come be prepared for a cold shower at first until people get the hang of it. Get wet . . .shut the water off and lather up . . .and wash off. Should only take 2-3 mins. I do not want to have ice cold showers everyday when the next class gets here. They are cold enough as it is.

A few questions on Cleaning supplies...

Should we bring cleaning supplies with us to OIS or can they be purchased on base?

What exactly are we cleaning? What type of supplies do you recommend?

Thank you for the post and the very current information!!! Good luck!

You can buy them here on base if you get in early enough on Sunday. If not you are out of luck for a week or so. You are cleaning your room and your hall. I have a clorox ready mop, furniture cleaner, window cleaner, and all purpose cleaner. Never dull or brasso will help for the numbers on your door and the hinges. If you have a portable dust buster and can bring it do so. You company will love you. We went in together and got two dust busters but could use more. I wish I had brought head phones too. You can use them running the track on your own. Do not go out of control bringing stuff but these are little things I wish I had brought. Remember they do not inspect your locker as long as it is locked. They are not supossed to go into your desk drawers but they do.

Random question:

We are allowed to bring a suitcase (vs. a duffelbag) to OIS, right?

One of my enlisted friends has me freaking out about this.

Thanks!

Hi,

Can you elaborate on what that guy did to earn a 3.5 hour PT session for the whole company?

I don't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks.

I'm waiting for the answer to that one too supergirl. But I'm probably taking both. I guess we'll have a lot of uniforms to bring back. Also, anyone out there know what constitutes acceptable socks? Ankle high ok for PT? What about dress socks for uniforms? Specific color? Also, is a bathrobe a must? I just like to wrap a towel around my privates and pray for the children it's not too windy.

Also, how does one refer to female higher ranking officers? Maam? Sir? Just use rank?

Thanks to everyone for the great OIS advice thus far. I will be off to OIS this weekend and hope that the July class will have lots of people who run slow.

I am flying with a suitcase pretty much just full of white boxer briefs, tshirts and crew socks (I heard crew and NOT ankle, so I'm just going with crew to be safe). I have a duffle rolled up inside for the trip home with uniforms, etc. I'll be arriving on Saturday, so I'll see everyone soon.

For anyone at OIS right now or recently, what's being used currently for the pass rating on the run? Is it Good Low or Satisfactory Medium? Heavy D mentioned that they used Good Low his year, but I am hoping that they may have eased up on that. I was on active reserve for the last two years of school so I had to do PRT's every 6 months and they used Satisfactory Medium for everything and told me to expect the same for OIS. The OIS website lists Good Low for the pass times. Let me know if you remember. Thanks!

johnkimdmd said:
Also, how does one refer to female higher ranking officers? Maam? Sir? Just use rank?

Not from Navy experience, but if you were to call a Ma'am "Sir" in the AF, you'd be laughed at. In field training (ROTC version of Basic) we had to do "gender benders" for that offense. It was a serious of exercises while chanting, "Ma'am you're a ma'am not a sir, one ma'am. Ma'am you're a ma'am not a sir, two ma'am..."

So in my experience Ma'am is the correct term for a female superior officer.

Thanks Moose,

You just saved me from a good deal of embarrassment and tongue twisters.

J

do you think it really matters what type of socks? I asked the Deputy Director some questions about what is listed on the site and he did not specify one type of sock over the other.

also he mentioned that PT clothes could be used instead of a robe....see you guys sat nite....
instead of a duffel and/or suitcase I am bringing one of those addias sport duffels (its pretty big) and maybe a bookbag....

Suitcase is 100% OK they will issue a sea bag here.

To not get a long PT session work as a team. Make sure everything is uniform. If one person wants to wear a sweat shirt you all need to. Watch for the people stuggling and help them. When they do not want to be helped is when you end up with a long PT session.

Uniforms can be boxed and shipped to your next command or residence. Or bring something to take it home in there is storage here for luggage.

Socks for PT need to be white and cover the anckle (Crew is the best). Black and white dress socks you can get at the uniform shop.

We never use our bathrobes. You need to be in full PT gear (Shorts, Shirt, Shower Shoes) going to the bathroom and coming back. The halls are coed.

If you do not know who they are then it is ma'am and sir. If you know they are Lt. Brown then say Goodmorning LT. Brown. You are going to see a lot of officers when you arrive. 99% of the are students in the senior class. The senior class will check you in.

As long as you get over probationary you pass.

See everyone this weekend. Our class has their 30 min presentations on Monday and then Battlestations that night until the next morning. If we are all stressed out you will know why.

johnkimdmd said:
For anyone at OIS right now or recently, what's being used currently for the pass rating on the run? Is it Good Low or Satisfactory Medium? Heavy D mentioned that they used Good Low his year, but I am hoping that they may have eased up on that. I was on active reserve for the last two years of school so I had to do PRT's every 6 months and they used Satisfactory Medium for everything and told me to expect the same for OIS. The OIS website lists Good Low for the pass times. Let me know if you remember. Thanks!

Not sure about OIS specifically, but the requirement for officers has always been Good Low. That is, if you aren't at that level, you can expect to be automatically enrolled in FEP, etc. I know that isn't always applied, but training commands tend to be the most strict about that kind of stuff.

Have a good time with Battlestations! Even though it was a long night, I actually thought it was one of the best parts of OIS... we had a great time with it.

Please tell me that there are people who go to OIS in horrible shape, completely unprepared. I will be going in August and am trying desperately to build up my endurance for the running. It would be so comforting to know there will be someone in worse shape than I am... :)

My husband is at OIS right now and I'm headed up next week for the graduation and reception. Does anyone know what I should wear to the reception/graduation? Is is dressy? Thanks

When I graduated from OIS my father wore a polo shirt and pants. My girlfriend wore a summer dress. To help you out, think about what you would wear if you were going to the country club for lunch or dinner on a summer day. That's pretty much what everyone looked like.

Perfect! Thank you so much for your help on that! I just didn't want to be over or under-dressed. :) Styles are a lot different down here in the South, so you can never be too sure. :)

i would agree with bobbyseal. I am here right now and the told us it would be summer whites for us for the evening events and dress (choker) whites on the graduation. So I equate the summer whites with shirt and tie event and the dress whites with a formal event.

GREETINGS,
I sadly do not have to enjoy OIS but would like to speak with any class mates there looking for a roommate. I just purchased a townhome in Gaithersburg, 13 miles from school. Anyone interested please look me up.

-Tim

[email protected]

Hooyah, November Company!

Does anyone get "recycled" at OIS or do they pass everyone? Just how much time do you spend cleaning? Do you get yelled at alot? Do you have roomates or all sleep in 1 big dorm?

Does anyone get "recycled" at OIS or do they pass everyone? Just how much time do you spend cleaning? Do you get yelled at alot? Do you have roomates or all sleep in 1 big dorm?

As the chief said this is a pump not a filter. Unless you want to fail you are going to be fine. We had a couple people who had a hard time but they where there on graduation day. In the beginning I spent 10-15 mins a night cleaning my room, 3-5 mins in the morning touching up, average 1-2 hour a week cleaning the common spaces, 5 mins making my bed a day . . .in the beginning 10 mins by the end of OIS 2 mins, and about 1-2 hours cleaning the night before inspection. Yelling depends on your chief. We got a yelling wake up with push ups and sit ups the first day. The second day we just got yelled at in the morning. After that we only were yelled at when we would make a huge mistake. You have one roommate in slightly smaller than dorm size room. OIS is not bad. I thought it was fun at times but I was always tired. If there was time for more sleep it would have been a lot better.

buglady said:
Hooyah, November Company!
Hooyah, Mike Company!
You just wish you could be like MIKE!

What the heck is it that you all spend 1-2 hours cleaning in the common areas? Also what is Battlestations, what do you do? Is this at night? How many uniforms do you have to buy before you leave? Is it just the whites or the brown ones too? Are you issued a text book for all these classes or do you buy it before you go? How many exams do you have daily or 1 a week? Multiple choice?

F/A-18 said:
What the heck is it that you all spend 1-2 hours cleaning in the common areas? Also what is Battlestations, what do you do? Is this at night? How many uniforms do you have to buy before you leave? Is it just the whites or the brown ones too? Are you issued a text book for all these classes or do you buy it before you go? How many exams do you have daily or 1 a week? Multiple choice?

F/A-18, if you are supposedly a Hornet pilot, as stated in your profile, then you should know this stuff. The only Hornets you fly are on Microsoft's flight simulator.

I'm calling you out as a fraud. Don't disgrace us aviators by claiming to be one when you're not!

Heeeed!, Spang, this guy smells real bad! :thumbdown:

Globus P said:
F/A-18, if you are supposedly a Hornet pilot, as stated in your profile, then you should know this stuff. The only Hornets you fly are on Microsoft's flight simulator.

I'm calling you out as a fraud. Don't disgrace us aviators by claiming to be one when you're not!

Heeeed!, Spang, this guy smells real bad! :thumbdown:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe they don't have to clean brass in whatever commissioning program he went through. It's possible, right? :laugh:

Maybe they don't yell, either. I want to back up and go to that training.

:) :laugh:
Well my company broke up the common cleaning so that once every 11 days my roommate and I were sweeping and mopping the p-ways. Wiping down common areas and cleaning out the cofee mess. Most days we all helped clean the p-ways if we had time. So, 15 mins here an 15 mins there really adds up. Cleaning is really not bad at all. Battlestations is a lot of fun. To tell you the truth it is more fun to not know what you are doing and you get a lot more out of it. However, think about what you do during the couse. Firefighting, Swimming, Damage Control . . . you may see these places again. Yes, it is all night. We got up at 03:50 Monday morniong for PT an I hit my rack around 0800 Tuesday morning. Monday was a normal class day with battlestations that night. You have to buy 2 "brown", 1 service dress white, 1 white pants, 1 summer white shirt, 1 blue pants, 1 service dress blue jacket, 2 shoes . . . . the whole thing comes to about 1,150-1,300. They give you a 1 year interest free loan for $700. so you only need to pay your bill down to $700 by the time you leave OIS. You are given a useless textbook there and can borrow one of the suggested readings from the mini library. You also get a division officer book for the last week of class. OIS really ends around wens. or thurs of your fourth week. You just have the DOC class to finish an the chiefs get to mess with you a little before you go. One exam the fourth week. Remember this is a pump not a filter. They read from the test during the review. The lowest grade I have ever heard of on it is around a 90. You just need to try and you will be fine.

Globus P, good god, don't get your TIGHTY WHITE'S in a BUNCH! It's called a user name,man. You're not the only one who liked hornets. I hardly think asking questions about OIS qualifies as disgracing aviators! Get a hold of your self. Hell, if you've been though Pensacola, say (VT-2 Skrew) you shouldn't been comming all ungluded like that! Is the sun burning alittle to hot for ya in Arizona!

I'm not referring to your "User Name", I'm referring to your Public Profile:

Biography:
Hornet pilot
Interests:
Flying Hornets

Are you a Hornet pilot? Yes or no. Or are you a VT-Screw attrite?

If you are indeed a Hornet pilot, cool....it's always good to have more former aviators in the forum. If you are not, please explain your biography.

And yes, its damn hot out here.

Globus P, you've got your six in a real burn over this! My point is your making alot of assumtions over something that is just a forum. Yes, maybe I passed through VT-2 and VFA-106, and "watched Paddles wave me down" while doing my FCLP's. And maybe I'm "just a Microsoft F/A-18 pilot." Maybe I'm not even a guy. Maybe my bio means my life's work is chassing after cute male Hornet pilots hoping to catch one! Maybe I'm a guy, who has a thing for cute female Hornet pilots and I'm spending my life hoping to snag one! Or maybe my bio means that my life may circle around my parents who were aviators and I want to become a flight surgeon and fly Hornets! My point is don't let yourself get so hot and bothered about what you assume a bio means, as you can see it can have many meanings. So GlobusP, check your DDI's more closely before you start firing AIM-120's and attacking others!

Did you not make it as an F/A-18 driver? Or you wanted to be a hornet driver and got some other ride?

F/A-18,

First, you're misusing a significant portion of that slang you're dropping.

Second, pilots tend to be pretty touchy about wannabes. Everybody thinks the job is cool enough to want to pretend to, but if you haven't suffered through the crappy parts, you don't deserve to pass yourself off as one of us. So if you faked your bio, no matter what the reason, it's not going to be popular.

Third, questioning why he's ticked off at a pretender shows you're probably not military at all. That or you haven't internalized some of the integrity lessons.

Finally, do you know what plane lost to the F-16 in Air Force trials? :smuggrin: