Navy Ois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hotcarl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has been.

one date this year is 21may-june22....Is the 22nd the graduation date and if so what time is it over and is it possible to actually get home on the 22nd. My sister si getting married on the 23rd, so I am basically wondering if I will be able to be in the wedding.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone who has been.

one date this year is 21may-june22....Is the 22nd the graduation date and if so what time is it over and is it possible to actually get home on the 22nd. My sister si getting married on the 23rd, so I am basically wondering if I will be able to be in the wedding.

thanks

Yes, your graduation date should be on the 22nd. I just attended this past summer and our graduation ceremony started ~ 9:00am if I remember correctly. After the ceremony you have to hang around for a bit, less than an hour, and sign some paperwork and some other admin stuff. Most people already had their bags packed before the graduation ceremony and were heading home around noon.

As with anything in the military these times are not set in stone and I believe they inform people not to schedule leaving flights before 4:00pm if I remember correctly. You should just do a google search for "OIS" and on their site they answer FAQ's. As far as being home before your sister's wedding, I guess it depends on where your going but from my experience it should be a fairly safe bet.

Best of luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask or PM me if you need.

Sorry to hijack this thread...Is the first date they day you report to OIS or are you supposed to arrive the day prior?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hijack this thread...Is the first date they day you report to OIS or are you supposed to arrive the day prior?

Your orders will tell you specifically what day to arrive. For instance my orders had me report in by 7:30pm on Sat while some others in my class didn't arrive until Sun. Getting their early was kind of nice because you had some time to get settled and get last minute supplies from the base store. A few in my class didn't arrive until late Sunday night and were caught off guard when first call came so early. We also met some of the upper class, they were 2-3 weeks ahead of us and gave us some good info on getting squared away before we started

Regardless of when we arrived the actual class began on Monday moring. Our first call was sometime between 4:00 and 4:30am the first morning, lol.

ech. :( any advice for those of us who hav been putting it off? ill actually already have my LT commission prior to OIS and be ready to procede to my first duty station afterwards....i can read the OIS website till im blue in the face, but what is it really like? amounts and styles of PT? classroom time? any free (off base) time?

we had prof a couple years ago here at UT who had been in the service in the 90s and just loved it. he was jazzed to talk about OIS and his GPR..told me all about the great local microbrews in the newport area. one of my general surgery buddies keeps telling me to learn how to sail when i get there....yet i have visions of a marine SSgt with ANUG barking at me to move 5 steps faster...lets hear from guys who have been to OIS already!

btw, the OIS website is as follows: https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/ois/

ech. :( any advice for those of us who hav been putting it off? ill actually already have my LT commission prior to OIS and be ready to procede to my first duty station afterwards....i can read the OIS website till im blue in the face, but what is it really like? amounts and styles of PT? classroom time? any free (off base) time?

we had prof a couple years ago here at UT who had been in the service in the 90s and just loved it. he was jazzed to talk about OIS and his GPR..told me all about the great local microbrews in the newport area. one of my general surgery buddies keeps telling me to learn how to sail when i get there....yet i have visions of a marine SSgt with ANUG barking at me to move 5 steps faster...lets hear from guys who have been to OIS already!

btw, the OIS website is as follows: https://otcn.netc.navy.mil/ois/
Yes, I like to know, too...

Whatever your prof told you about OIS in the 90s it is totally different now. In 2003 they changed it from a more laid back style to something closer to enlisted boot camp but not as bad. I would be ready for PT at least 4 days a week, 2 PRT tests (one the first week and the 2nd the last week), getting up between 4am and 5am every morning, being allowed to go off base only the last weekend you are there (and you have to be in uniform), marching in formation everywhere you go, and yes chiefs and marine corps master sgts yelling at you whenever they want. Do not worry you will make it, just do not expect a walk in the park. I went this summer and survived. Really the 1st 2 weeks were pretty bad and then it gradually got better. Besides PT and chow you spend most of your days in the classroom.

This is closer to what I heard as well. It sounds a lot more realistic this way. During war time, it is believable that things will be more intense. It is only 4 weeks and school is paid for. That makes it all worth while.

How do you go about getting your orders for OIS? I emailed NMETC a while ago and they sent me the date options for the summer OIS and said that stuff would be sent out in January, but its halfway through the month and I haven't heard anything. For those who've already completed OIS, was there anything you had to do or did your orders just come to you?

How do you go about getting your orders for OIS? I emailed NMETC a while ago and they sent me the date options for the summer OIS and said that stuff would be sent out in January, but its halfway through the month and I haven't heard anything. For those who've already completed OIS, was there anything you had to do or did your orders just come to you?

The best advice I can give you about anything with the military is be pro-active. To answer your question "if they will just come to you" is no, you need to request the orders. If you are wanting to get into a specific class this summer the sooner you request them the better. Each class only has so many slots and it's first come, first serve.

If I recall in your HPSP handbook it gives some information about OIS and requesting AT through NROWS (Naval Reserve Order Writting System). My recruiters did most of my paperwork because I only had about 4 weeks from the time I requested my class date until OIS started so they had to be pushed along to make it into the last class of the summer. If you're having trouble requesting your orders through NROWS get ahold of your recruiter or NMETC and get it done. In the handbook they instruct you to submit your request atleast 8 weeks in advance to give them plenty of time to process your request.

Getting your account set up to access NROWS is a pain and my recruiter wasn't much help. I had to make several phone calls during the process to figure out how the system worked.

You first have to set up an account on the Naval Reserve and NROWS websites. Then in order to sign into NROWS you first have to sign into the Naval Reserve website and then follow a link to the NROWS website.

Once on the NROWS website if your filling out the orders request form you'll need some specific information and I don't recall if the codes you need to enter are in the handbook. If not you can always call the NROWS helpdesk number that is given on the website or get ahold of your recruiter or NMETC.

Whatever your prof told you about OIS in the 90s it is totally different now. In 2003 they changed it from a more laid back style to something closer to enlisted boot camp but not as bad. I would be ready for PT at least 4 days a week, 2 PRT tests (one the first week and the 2nd the last week), getting up between 4am and 5am every morning, being allowed to go off base only the last weekend you are there (and you have to be in uniform), marching in formation everywhere you go, and yes chiefs and marine corps master sgts yelling at you whenever they want. Do not worry you will make it, just do not expect a walk in the park. I went this summer and survived. Really the 1st 2 weeks were pretty bad and then it gradually got better. Besides PT and chow you spend most of your days in the classroom.

Ditto to what Cyclegirl has said.

Some additional info: Each class of ~120 students is divided up into 3 smaller divisions. Each division is headed by a Navy or Marine Corps senior enlisted. Our class had three Navy senior enlisted (Chiefs and Senior Chiefs).

At any one time during the summer there are two classes going through OIS staggered two weeks apart. So when my class started there was a class two weeks ahead of us and when they graduated a new class started and we were two weeks ahead of them. So there was a total of 6 instructors that rotated through with the classes. As I said my class had three Navy senior enlisted while the other class had two navy senior enlisted and one Marine Corps Master Sergeant.

Being in some type of physical shape will be to your advantage.

if you havent gotten the email from Bethesda yet, you need to contact them. i got the email with dates last week, as well as with pretty clear instructions as to how to apply for dates. PM with your email and i can forward it to you if you dont hear from NMETC in a timely manner.

Thanks. I called my NMETC contact today and she set it all up. Not sure why I never got the email though. Oh well...anyone else set-up for OIS from May 21-June 22?